Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If I want to do my own ethernet runs through a 80 square meter apartment, is there anything I should be aware of in regards to signal speed? And are there any choices I can make that will make life easier in the future, if I want to change it up for some reason?

e: same questions for co-ax cable in case I want to move the modem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Cat 6a should be fine. Cat 7 is a weird offshoot standard, cat 8 is expensive and stiff and you shouldn't use it, you should use fiber if you need more than 6a can deliver.

https://www.cablematters.com/Blog/Networking/what-is-cat7-and-why-you-don-t-need-it

Any coax you buy should be fine.

Ahh yeah, I asked the guy at the electronics store what cat 7 was for and his answer was basically that some people wanted the cable with the highest number :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

“life easier in the future”: run conduit if you can, and a run of pulling line alongside the cable if you can’t, so you can more easily get updated/additional cable along there later

Thanks, this is a great idea. I'll put some thought into whether it makes sense within the existing floor plan. Unfortunately the outward facing walls are a bitch to drill through, there's probably an air gap somewhere in all that concrete and brick but I have yet to find it.

Eletriarnation posted:

Cat6 is fine out to 55m for 10G, so unless you have a huge house you don't really need to spring for 6A. It might not be a substantial cost increase in your case, but when I got 10 drops put in my house (e: in 2017) it was going to be either ~$900 for Cat6 or 1500 for 6A. It was unclear if 6A would ever have any benefit, so I stuck with 6.

Also agreed that if you really care about 10G and especially beyond you should just run multimode fiber. You're going to have to make some compromises on cost and power consumption to put a whole house on 10GBase-T, especially if you don't already have the NICs where cost per port is like $70 vs. $20 for SFP+. (e: You can buy used X540-T1s instead of new AQC107 cards to narrow that gap a lot, but the switches/SFPs will still cost more.)

Thanks for this! Whatever I do will be within that length anyways.