Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I got a 3-pack of tp-link decos a couple of years ago because I was too lazy to do proper wiring here, but now I am regretting it, looking at 0.9mm single fibre and bidi optics in a couple of mikrotik switches now :v:

Might redo the networking at my folks too, as what they have is sorely outdated. Pfsense appliance, Aruba 8 port PoE switch and 2-3 access points will do the trick there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Everything has been hosed since the pandemic kicked off, and you have a specific set of requirements that is pretty hard to fill without throwing money at the problem.

Lots and lots of switches have 4 SFP+ and PoE, but the moment you want more than 4 SFP+ ports and PoE, it gets tricky.

Also 10Gbase-T SFP's are power hogs, you want to avoid those at all costs.

I'd consider combining a Mikrotik CRS309-1G-8S+IN with some suitable PoE switch with 10G uplink and use a DAC cable between them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Raluek posted:

i guess the answer is that i should wait a few more years for prince charming to come along

Comedy option, if you can use mikrotik passive PoE:

The CRS309 I mentioned, along with an RB260GSP and a 1gbit DAC between them.

That gets you some PoE ports on copper, for reasonably cheap :v:

Management is annoying enough, but it's mostly a one-time pain to get the basics setup.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

OpenWRT also works on the old 802.11n models which current versions of the UniFi controller aren't even willing to adopt anymore. You're pretty limited in what you can do with a single-core 400Mhz processor, a 10/100 port, and 8MB flash/64MB RAM, but the UAP-LR only uses about 3W from what I've seen so it's perfect if you just need a 2.4GHz network for some IoT stuff.

No poo poo? I need to look into this. I have one of those in the basement :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A really cheap VPS and tailscale or something might do the trick.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rugged preterminated duplex single mode fiber with a pull end should fit through a 2" conduit.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Internet Savant posted:

Since it isn't clear from your description, my only suggestion is to consider outlets in every room regardless of how much you plan to use the room in the near future. When we did our house, we ran coax and cat 6 to every room (coax for antenna hook ups). Some rooms got two outlets. The cabling is cheap, it's the people time that gets you, and the cost of dropping lines in every room isn't necessarily that much more than a limited set of rooms.

This is good advice.

As for fibre, I would go with SM, but I'm professionally challenged in this area (I maintain a large metro-area network and we have banned MM fibre in our entire network for maintenance reasons). fs.com is your friend for cheap optics.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Interesting - when I maintained a campus-area network, what'd most often break would be the Lucent connectors.
It got so bad, that we seriously talked about using standard connectors - because they're intended to be used by providers who need to move the connections around with some regularity and we found that Lucent connectors are only rated for around a thousand disconnects.

Our issues are more with standardization - by not explicitly banning MM fibre, we had lovely subcontractors installing it where they should have used SM fibre and it led to massive problems for a while.

On connectors, our oldest (mid-late 90s) fibre panels have SC, the newer ones have FC, and we standardized on LC a few years ago. They've mostly been problem-free, but we don't re-patch all that often, and we have strict standards for cleaning and inspection, as well as good training for our techs.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I would have bought two mellanox connect-x 2 10gbe SFP+ cards (€30 each on ebay) and a DAC cable from fs, total price would probably be less than €100 :v:

Be aware that you will probably have to enable jumbo frames to get full throughput.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SFP+ ports are not weird. They're the industry standard for 10Gbe networking :v:

This is the same type of card I use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125537015114 - They work just fine in windows 10 and linux.

You can find DAC here: https://www.fs.com/c/10g-dac-1114

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

I was looking at products inside EU. Products from china take 1-2 months to arrive, are most likely counterfeit, I have to pay duties, VAT and a "chinese small items handling fee", I have to manually get them through customs etc. In the end it's so noth worth it to order anything at all from china.

I wasn't aware that Germany was even more backwards than Norway on these things, the only thing we pay here on top of shipping is VAT, and ebay collects it for me.

Make sure that AOC-STG-i2T card has plenty of airflow.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Also the sfp+ thing doesn't seem to be very good.

SFP+ is mostly wasted on home users that don't run fibre across a property or similar, the main value is that you can find very cheap second-hand cards that work very well. Of course that means you have to be willing to play the lottery*. And you clearly aren't. That's your choice to make.

*It's not much of a lottery, you have to really work at getting poo poo cards on eBay, even from China.

Ihmemies posted:

Cables are many more times expensive than regular cat cable. Also cables longer than 7m don't work, while you can do 100m runs with cat cable. The connectors have weird pull tabs etc. Nothing really looks good with that setup.

DAC cables (and their sibling, the AOC cable) are mainly used for short runs inside racks or in the same room. For going further, you use a very cheap (€23) multi mode fibre transceiver, that lets you go 300 meters, or a single mode fibre transceiver, that lets you do up to 100 kilometers (depending on the transceiver you buy, 10km ones cost €33, 100km costs €677). Try doing that with cat6.
The pull tabs for DAC/AOC cables are made that way to make them easy to get out of an SFP+ slot in a switch/NIC, they're not designed to please your sense of aesthetics. I prefer them that way, they're easier to deal with than cat cables :v:

Also a PSA, you need properly terminated Cat6a cable to go 100m with 10gbase-t, if you have regular Cat6, it's down to 45-55 meters, and if you terminated them yourself, well... good luck.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 14, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Inept posted:

If the computer and server are in the same room, you could connect them via Thunderbolt/USB4 and have even more speed

I was going to mention 25gbe cards, but he updated his post with the 10gbase-t stuff before I got around to it :downs:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Welp. Well. The server without network card was 1700€, so I guess it doesn't hurt too much to lose a bit extra to the 10Gbe cards.

I'm curious now, what did you buy? :eng101:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Mobo: Supermicro X10 SRi-F 2011
CPU: E5 2680 V4 (14core 3.3GHz)
RAM: 2x32GB DDR4 ECC (yes I know cpu has 4ch, but I guess 2ch will be enough for now..)
Case: white Fractal Define R5
Fans: 3x Fractal GP-14
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12DX i4 with 2x Arctic P14 fans
Wifi/BT card: Asus PCE-AC58BT
SSD: Samsung 980 pro 1TB m.2
HDD: 4x Toshiba MG09 18TB

If there's any consolation, I paid about €1300 for this in april/may:

Asus X99 ROG Strix
E5-2670 v3 (12core 2.6GHz)
128GB ECC DDR4 RAM (4x32GB)
Fractal Design R6
Corsair TX750W
Corsair MP600 1TB NVMe SSD
Quadro P400 GPU
intel 10GbE SFP+ NIC

Adding 9x8TB and an LSI SAS controller puts it at 150W idle after I enabled power saving stuff in BIOS. It's way overkill for what I do :v:

Ihmemies posted:

The only problem so far is the power usage, which is terrible :v: And lack of decent skills to use server software...

How many watts does it use idle?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

priznat posted:

The node 804 box tape looks sus I am wondering if amazon sent me something previously opened :sigh:

Might want to check that out ASAP :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Just out of curiosity, what's the cap?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I would slow down a bit and spend a bit more time researching that network upgrade. Don't fall into the sunk cost trap just because you already have some Unifi equipment.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Iperf?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tailscale? :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Pfsense/opnsense for firewall/routing. WiFi to taste, pick one that supports vlans.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Their WiFi stuff is OK, I would steer clear of the rest.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kin posted:

That seems like a lot to me but maybe its not?

I count 12 devices with DHCP leases in my one bedroom apartment, so I dunno... YMMV?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have 350mbit symmetric and it's fine, I guess? no CGNAT, no bullshit transfer caps, it just works.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Paying for proper backups of your NAS is not free either. And you'll want to back that poo poo up.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I’m having this weird issue with my new network and I’m not sure how to trouble shoot it.

The wifi calling on our phones just randomly stops working for like a few hours and then comes back at some seemingly random point.

Example it was working fine at 7:30 am this morning when my dad called but we were expecting a delivery at 8:30 and it wasn’t working. It started working again at about 9am.

I can see when it started working again because the voicemail was delivered about 9am.

What on earth would cause it to just do this randomly? I really don’t want to disable wifi calling because the cell signal isn’t the best here.

What router do you have?

This sounds a lot like connection states being dropped by the router after a timeout has been reached.

Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/jqmkiq/wifi_calling_fyi/

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I use mikrotik at home, it does the job but the vlan interface is annoying to say the least.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Can they be fanmodded?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nice! I've considered getting an Extreme 5320 for home use, but those are hardly free :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Come to the Intel thread if you want to see griping at length about why you want a Realtek NIC.

Oh, how things have changed :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Evis posted:

Tailscale is quite nice

They changed their pricing model recently too, basically don't have to think about it for personal use.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Is there any reason not to make my home network 10.0.0.0/8?

Yes. Have a /24 for your wired, mostly trusted stuff. Another /24 for WiFi poo poo that you control, and a /24 for untrusted poo poo like iot and guest devices.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SonicWALL and lower-end Fortigate gear can eat poo poo.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cold spare is the real answer here, yeah.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

With unifi you want to sit out new releases until other people have beta-tested it first.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sounds like you need a Mikrotik!

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs309_1g_8s_in#fndtn-specifications

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

For 200 units I would have gone with 25gbit service to the building, but I don't like overselling bandwidth :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I run powerline between floors, through modern GFCI breakers - the link tops out at around 70 megabits.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, that'll work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

One of the unifi AP's with a directional (45 or 90 degree) antennas would probably do the trick at the distances involved here... at least worth a try.

You can also do direct bury-fibre cables and use mikrotik switches to connect it all up. Add AP's to taste.