Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Possibly noob question. Please dont yell at me :smith:

I just ordered this about five minutes ago.

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N16-Wireless-N-Maximum-Performance-single/dp/B00387G6R8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Will my PS3 work with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
The only thing the PS3 will be is a Battlefield 3 machine and possibly netflix.

I did a little google-fu and I had seen old posts about the PS3 and N routers not working? Not sure as I know jack poo poo about networking. Then I would come across posts that said it worked..

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

CancerStick posted:

Possibly noob question. Please dont yell at me :smith:

I just ordered this about five minutes ago.

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N16-Wireless-N-Maximum-Performance-single/dp/B00387G6R8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Will my PS3 work with that?

So, I ended up getting this and I was worried over nothing. The PS3 works fine. But it turns out the problems that I thought were the old routers still continue. I'm not sure now what I am doing wrong. Can somebody help a networking moron. There has to be a few settings that are causing this.

Basically, the Asus RT-N16 was plugged in and no adjustments made. Basically, plug and play. I'm sure thats stupid to do, but hey, the internets worked! But what happens is it randomly... reboots? Maybe it's not so random. I'll be browsing on a desktop in another room and it will stop loading. I look down and see its trying to connect to the internet. It will eventually do it. I have looked at the router as it's doing this and it looks like it is still on, maybe the wireless light is dimmer/off. Some things i've noticed:

1.) On this PC I occasionally, usually after a "reboot" get a windows error that comes up saying there is another pc sharing the same IP.

2.) Sometimes when it is trying to reconnect it takes a minute or so. In that time I hit troubleshoot and windows does its thing and "resets the network card" or something. It works, but I think that's minor maybe.

3.) All day today it didn't do it. Nobody else was home. My PC was the only pc doing anything.

4.) I've noticed it maybe happens when theres a lot going on. I've seen it happen when I start to download a major torrent. It's happened when I go to play Counter Strike and I believe there is another PC in the house that was on WoW at the time. I have my PS3 hooked up right now to my desktops monitor. I turned off my PS3 after playing Battlefield for the first time with the new router and the minute I turned it off and turned my monitor to DVI I noticed the network had reset again. Had to have happened just as I turned off the PS3

5.) Household consists of 2 desktops, 2 laptops, PS3, and my cell phone connecting to the network.

EDIT: 6.) This may be the observations of a dumbass and mean nothing. In the Asus page it says of the current devices connected there is the ip of 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.4, and 192.168.1.5. In the LAN - DHCP server settings there is a box for Starting IP that says 192.168.1.2 and one that says Ending Address that says 192.168.1.254

Anybody familiar with this router for settings I can look at or change, or just anybody familiar with networking. I'm willing to bet it's something a person familiar with networking can diagnose. I'm in over my head, though.

Final EDIT: I figured this may give some people some idea of what my settings look like. Here are some random settings that I thought may be important, or maybe they don't mean anything.

Security Level: WPA-Auto-Personal selected. WPA2-Personal, WPA2-Enterprise, WPA-Auto-Enterprise also avail.
WPA Encryption TKIP+AES. AES by itself is avail also

Under Internet status:
WAN IP: Totally different then anything I ever see so that may mean jack poo poo
DNS: Two different 209 #s with one ending in .61 and one in .62.
Connecting type: Automatic IP

General Wireless Settings:
Channel Bandwith: 20mhz and 20/40 mhz. 20 is selected
Wireless Mode: Auto, b/g mixed, b only, g only, n only. Auto is selected.
Channel: Auto is selected. That and 1-11 are available.

Wireless - Wireless MAC Filter
MAC Filter Mode: Disabled

LAN-DHCP Server:
Starting and Endign address's as mentioned above.
Lease time: 86400

LAN-Route
Use DHCP routes? yes
Enable multicast routing: yes
Enable static routes? no

WAN - Internet Connection
Wan Connection Type: Dynamic IP

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 18, 2011

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I did what you said. Not sure what soppy the DNS addresses means tho.

I checked the tcp/ip settings of each device and everything was set to automatic. Would it be a good idea to set my PS3 to something like my PC? Like .98 or something?

Not sure if this matters, but when I noticed my pc got disconnected it wasn't just my pc that got booted. All computers would get booted and the log on the router would show it rebooted when we were disconnected.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Devian666 posted:

It sounds like the router is overheating or crashing if it's rebooting. You may want to consider flashing to dd-wrt, or updating the firmware on the router to see if you can improve stability.

Changing to static IP addresses won't help if there is a router issue.

I changed outlets in case it was that and moved it to an area where it shouldn't overheat. That didn't fix it.

When it started messing up tonight there were two desktops, a laptop, and then the PS3 was turned on and it caused it to mess up. This is another time when a device being used causes the problem.

When it happened I ran to the router to see what it was doing. It doesn't look like it's turned off. Actually, the lights are all on when it happens.

With the PS3 remaining on, the internet was never able to return for some reason. My computer would find it, try to connect, wouldn't. Then the SSID would disappear and it would say no connections found. This went on for 5-10 minutes. I turned off the PS3 and within a few moments it found it and connected. With the PS3 off, though, while typing this post for about 10 seconds it lost the internet again.

So.. if it isn't physically shutting off is overheating not a probability? I have the latest Asus firmware version for the router. I'm not too sure about dd-wrt but I can probably figure it out if that would probably fix the issue. Is that the next step? I'm just unsure considering this is two routers in a row that are having a similar issue.

I checked all devices that are connecting. They are all set to automatic when it comes to the ip and what not. Nothing static. FYI

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 19, 2011

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I think what I am asking is similar to what the guy on this same page was talking about, but I'm really network dumb, so can somebody treat me like a child really quick.

I recently bought the Arris SB6183 to replace the TWC provided modem and the TP-Link Archer C5 to replace the Belkin wireless router that I've had for years. Everything was peachy until I decided to move the furniture from our front room to the back room to use the back room as our living room. Our modem/router are in that front room. Now, a few of the devices that do not have the ability to connect to 5ghz have poo poo speeds.

What is the best way to extend the range? I was thinking about seeing if I could use the old belkin in the back room and somehow connect it to the modem/router in the front room but I am learning that it needs to be wired for there to be an access point. Am I correct? I don't want a 30 foot cable running throughout the house if I am correct.

Can somebody explain to me if I am completely wrong, what another option would be, or if I am just boned. Thanks for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wired replacement if you don't have the wires is use powerline ethernet adapters to bridge between rooms much faster. Good ones are around 70 bucks. Running in repeater mode does as the title implies and improves signal at a cost of bandwidth.

I remember seeing those awhile back. That might be a good solution. Thanks.