Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
My eero system is aging and I don't really want to give Amazon more money when it fails. What's the general consensus on Aruba Instant On stuff in comparison. I also don't mind dropping a little more money on Ruckus if it's worth it. I have about 4000 square feet over 2 floors to cover which is currently being served by 4 eeros without dead spots. I can get a wire to the ceiling if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Thread, I have a confession to make and then a couple of (hopefully) easy questions. I moved due to some life changes and in my new address, I have AT&T's 300mbps fiber. I didn't see a need to reconfigure my USG, AC Lite, and PiHole initially but I think within the next little bit, I'm going to.

I know that I need to but my modem in passthrough mode, which isn't the issue. My questions are this: When I reconfigure my USG and want to plug in DNS servers, if I don't need anything crazy, what are the current prefferred DNS settings? Quad9? 1.1.1.1?

Secondary question: I'm not really looking to do any major device upgrades since I'm just one person and 300mbps internet. I'm probably still good on my equipment as long as it works, right? I do have mostly Wifi6 devices but I don't need the extra speed.

For DNS I like to use this to find one:
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I have the same tier of att fiber and it seems they actually give close to 400, at least in my area. My old WiFi 5 will saturate that but only in ideal conditions it seems. Walk around and do some speed tests - only you can decide it's it's good enough (probably fine for normals).

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Anyone have experience with some of the higher end Ruckus Zoneflex? Have a couple floors about 2000 sqft each. Could I get away with a couple of them mounted on the ceiling in the middle of each floor? Layout is pretty similar on both floors with a large mostly open space in the middle and rooms around the perimeter.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Sniep posted:

I don't think it has a speaker but who knows what it's running if it's an amazon product. I worked for Twitch for 6 years and got email invites to do product dev testing for those teams and it's nightmare fuel.

anything that's built BY amazon and features alexa in the description is suspicious as gently caress at best.

the price is also in that "subsidized by somthing" range, to me. a little too cheap. what's the catch.

It's a used and refurbished version of their absolutely bottom tier option which is a WiFi5 device from about 5 or 6 years ago. They are also hoping you pay $10/month for add-ons of minimal value. I have one kicking around and it's trouble free but fairly slow.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Sniep posted:

all of this is valid, i should have held back the last statement. but i'd still not trust them as far as i could throw them.

I'm still looking forward to getting rid of them and replacing with real hardware. Would love to have just 1 or 2 really good APs which can reliably hit a gigabit.