Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a custom firmware for the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk that won't crater the WAN-LAN switching speed (it already slows down if it has to do PPPoE on stock)? After multiple games have broken in the same way (empty routing table) I suspect UPnP isn't implemented right. I'm also open to buying a new router but don't need any fancy wireless antennae (small apartment); just something that works as advertised on >1Gbps fibre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How bad is Ethernet over coax / the adapters? I have a good run of cable that I could rip up and replace with Cat6, but since it's already there....?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks for the MoCA tips. I might still rip up the coax and run Ethernet since it's a single room perimeter but it's nice to have options. Stupid builders should have just run a third patch but on well....

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I tried switching one of my LAN connections to my Asus RT-AXE7800's 2.5g WAN/LAN1 port in advance of possibly getting a double hardwire WAN connection (assuming they support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad) for 2g/1g. The aggregation would use LAN2 and the 1g WAN/LAN1 port. I have two 1g LAN connections, both of which run up to my patch panel, into the walls, and into gigabit dumb switches (one Linksys at my desk, one TP-Link at my home theatre). If I set the primary WAN port to be the 1g WAN/LAN1 and change that Linksys uplink at the 2.5g WAN/LAN1 port, the XBox on the TP-Link (LAN3/1g uplink to the Asus) refuses to see my Plex server hosted on the desktop behind the Linksys. Everything else works just fine for the individual machines (internet, etc).

Is this a possible firmware bug, or am I running into a situation where that 2.5 port is not going to play nice with a 1g switch somewhere else? Do home routers do something weird with the dual LAN/WAN ports where they aren't on the same layer 2?

The only thing in my house that can even do 2.5g is my desktop, and someday soon I want to add a NAS. I know I can upgrade the 1g switch at my desk to 2.5g, but a 2g WAN connection is kind of wasted if I'm going to run into a 1g bottleneck leaving the router. Is my only option to put a 2.5g switch in the closet with the Asus router, uplink at the 2.5g WAN/LAN1, then have the two LAN links go back out to my patch panel and off to new 2.5g switches everywhere? Do I need to worry this is all a waste if my walls are only Cat5e (this is a small condo, so the runs are probably 25-50ft)?

Sorry if that's confusing; I can break out Visio if it's not clear.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 6, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Old coworkers love Ubiquiti because they were/are too cheap to buy Cisco and too dumb to work a command line. Isn’t their support department just a community forum?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’ve never had to unscrew fibre and put my thumb on the bare medium for a few seconds to ground it so my internet would work again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If someone got you to do that, they deserve a medal for trolling.
My ISP at the time, and you should see how they run cable :v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there some kind of chicken sacrifice to get pfSense installed on bare metal? It’s bad enough that I had to kill secure boot, but now the installer just craps out at an IRQ mapping error that I’m unable to resolve.

I can run it as a VM in Proxmox but that has its own set of problems (i.e. management interface / second PC required vs a mouse, keyboard, and monitor without a bunch of extra packages and auto-login).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wibla posted:

What kind of machine are you trying to install this on?
MSI Core i3 PC with double ethernet ports.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

Is there some kind of chicken sacrifice to get pfSense installed on bare metal? It’s bad enough that I had to kill secure boot, but now the installer just craps out at an IRQ mapping error that I’m unable to resolve.

I can run it as a VM in Proxmox but that has its own set of problems (i.e. management interface / second PC required vs a mouse, keyboard, and monitor without a bunch of extra packages and auto-login).
If anyone was curious, I had to change an obscure setting in the installer’s boot config to get around GIANT-LOCKED or some poo poo. I got pfSense installed and then it didn’t have the right driver for the unit’s 2.5G port :negative:

This is after pf-on-Proxmox wanted one more NIC than I had. I eventually hacked something together but it took me way more time than if I’d bought even a low-end Netgate.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 17, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

MrMoo posted:

It’s FreeBSD, so hardware support is going to be poor, at least not OpenBSD levels. I thought there was a fork on Linux, but that appears to be TrueNAS.
Well, so much for OPNSense then:

quote:

Supported hardware

FreeBSD is the base of OPNsense. All FreeBSD drivers are included in the OPNsense kernel, and the hardware compatibility is the same.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wibla posted:

I use VLANs to get around not having enough ports, it works quite well, but you obviously need managed switches.
I have one! But my knowledge of when I need a tagged or an untagged port has rotted; what setup do you use?

Right now I have:

-Personal PC w/ tiny VM to talk to the management switch on separate subnet
-Dual NIC VPN gateway - "WAN" goes into the managed switch, LAN goes out to other devices that need a wire for the VPN (this would run pfSense, OPNsense or a VM thereof, ideally headless, with management on the same subnet as the switch)
-Nothing
-Nothing
-Uplink port that goes out to the raw gateway

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Rescue Toaster posted:

Simply put untagged ports are for endpoint devices don't know about VLANs or that you don't want to trust with access to more than one specific VLAN.

So a regular PC or whatever might go on an untagged port for a specific VLAN. A server running VMs might have a port with various tagged VLANs so the hypervisor can feed different ones to different VMs. Such a port (sometimes called hybrid) for switch<->device rather than switch<->switch, will also have a VLAN assigned for untagged traffic, usually called the PVID. So any untagged traffic from the device will go on that VLAN. You don't have to use it, if your VM/host device is setup to tag everything, but often a VLAN-aware device will do management/configuration on the untagged traffic, so you'd put that on whatever management VLAN you preferred.

Wibla posted:

I run a few VLANs, with pfsense in a VM on a Lenovo Tiny M93P.
Thank you both; PVID was what I was missing as I'm dealing with a VLAN-less environment further out.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
While screwing around with this dual-NIC box I saw that Ubuntu has an ez-mode “share this connection with other computers” button in Network Manager. How would I replicate that with Ubuntu Server if I wanted to run headless? I guess I need a DHCP server + NAT + …?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

NetworkManager is probably what’s underneath, and you can drive that from a CLJ or TUI on a server, if that helps.
Gonna go ahead and admit I don't know what either of those are :sweatdrop:

e: second read leads me to think Command Line / Terminal so I guess it’s off to Network Manager’s docs for the night. I haven’t done most of this since ifconfig was the standard, but Netplan is kinda fun and harder to shoot yourself so that’s nice from SSH.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 20, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
PPPoE is such an afterthought for most routers that when I was on Bell I just did double NAT + DMZ. I’m convinced they only use that provisioning to mandate HomeHubs for casual customers and gather advertising data from the LAN.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My attempt to homebrew a pfSense continues. I have a dual-NIC mini PC that has one WAN port and one LAN port. On the LAN port I have tagged VLANs A and B, where A is management and B is (ideally) going to serve a VPN out over the WAN port to anything behind it via Network Manager. The problem is that I’ve gone with Ubuntu Server to have full control over firewalling and run headless, so I don’t get a nice little GUI toggle to do this for me.

Is there an nmcli incantation that will let me share the VLAN B connection into a switch with a few access ports? Can I even run a VLAN “object” as an IPv4 sharing device, or does that only work via the physical interface?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Please let me know if this is more of a layer 1/2 thread than higher up. I've made progress on my Network Manager based gateway / firewall, but I can't figure out how to make the VPN fail closed since nmcli treats Wireguard as different from all other VPN types. Am I stuck using OpenVPN or something older so I can designate a secondary object? I tried not having a default route through the main WAN and making routes that only populated when the VPN was up, but that must have been wrong as the connectivity didn't survive a reboot.

Is firewalling done through Network Manager or do I still need iptables?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Just use Tailscale, OP. In the very unlikely case that it doesn’t work, it’ll be because of one of the reasons listed in the detailed, thorough FAQ that explains the cause and the solution.
Will Tailscale connect me to a commercial VPN provider like Nord/Proton/etc? I don’t own the far side of the connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
6/6E is barely a thing; what’s the upside of 7?