Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
I have some family in Hong Kong who I want to build a better wireless solution for, the trick is that like almost all condos in HK, ALL walls are 6" or thicker concrete. Right now they have one router in the bedroom at one end and one router in the livingroom, but it's a lovely situation where wifi devices seem to pick the router with the worst signal. Both of these routers are cheap POS's as well.

Any suggestions on a setup that will bounce around lots of walls happily? Antenna changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

notwithoutmyanus posted:

is there a HK equivalent to the powerline networking stuff that works in the US? You could tie an AP at the other end...spend a little extra, but stable connection

Unfortunately the real issue is that I would prefer to just have one wireless AP in the condo that works throughout. Not to mention that it doesn't work well at all in the middle two bedrooms between the master suite and living room.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

Dayne posted:

I'm going to be moving into a house soon and would like to know if I'm going to have any issues doing the following:

-Have the cable come in through the basement and have it hooked up to a cable modem down there.
-Hook the cable modem to a wired router.
-Have CAT5e or CAT6 ran from that point in the basement to the following locations: a media server that will be very close to the modem/wired router setup, a different room in the basement that will have a desktop and a networked laser printer (there will probably be a wired switch in this room), to the family room upstairs behind the entertainment center (for WDTV, 360, etc. Will probably have another switch here), and to a spot somewhere in the middle of the house on the first floor to a wireless router (specifically a D-Link 855 Extreme-N router) to provide wireless for the rest of the house, including the 2nd floor. (I'd have the modem hooked up to the wireless router but I don't think I'd get any decent reception on the second floor if I did.)

My big concern lies with how I'd hookup the wireless router. Assuming I can use the wireless router in this way, I think I would need to have DHCP enabled on the wired router in the basement and disabled on the wireless. Then how would I connect the wireless router to the wired portion of my network? Through the internet port or one of the ports on the switch? Is there any other special settings I'd need to enable on the wireless router? I'd want all the wireless devices on the network to connect to the wired devices on the network (especially the media server).

If that won't work, what kind of hardware would I need to look at to get wireless in the house?

I already have most of the hardware described above except for the wired router. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to get there. I'd need at least 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports.

I have a pretty similar setup and I ran a pair of Cat5e upstairs from the basement to the wireless router, one for WAN/Internet and one for LAN. You don't need a wired router as the wireless will still be the main DHCP server, but this setup uses a switch on the LAN side of the router in the basement. With this setup, you don't need any special routing or configuration on the router's end.