Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I for some reason didn't think to search SA/this thread first.

When COVID hit, my old hacked-together router bridge was no longer cutting it ... strangely wifi was no longer accessible at the front of the house after being solid for years, affecting the bedroom upstairs & doorbell camera drastically.

Got the second gen Google Nest Mesh and it worked well for years ... but the last 6+ months we'd been needing to reboot it 2-3 times per week to not have poo poo keep timing out. It would work perfectly for a day or two, but then degrade.

I thought now would be a good time to upgrade/replace but holy gently caress the sticker shock at WiFi 7 (mesh) prices. Most recommend kits ranging between $2000-3000 CAD!

So got a refurb Asus XT9 on WiFi 6. (Lol setup was a cinch after googling factory reset, because the setup didn't work with the router still set to the original owner's custom settings.) It looked like the new Google one is well-regarded, but we'd be losing the speaker function, and I just didn't love the overall experience of the last one.

How dumb am I for installing the XT9 mesh essentially side-by-side to the old network (though using it as the firewall/gateway)? (Different SSIDs of course)

I'll kill the old network if I notice problems still, and I disabled 2.4G on the newer Asus gear. My rationale is that we were using the smart speaker features of the old Nest nodes, especially just to play music. But I was also wondering if all the smartbulb/switch poo poo on my network was possibly affecting/degrading performance too. Maybe leaving them separate would be net beneficial.

Also I think most of those devices, especially my Teckin off-brand stuff, only operates on 2.4G. A weird quirk of the original Nest Doorbell cam is that it only operates on 2.4G in Canada, but also works with 5.0 in the USA.

---

I do want to buy better wireless speakers but that's such a mess itself. I'd be okay with a Nest Mini in a couple places but they weirdly haven't gone on sale for over a year. $70 CAD is tough to swallow when they used to so frequently be $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Marklar posted:

Does anyone buy used routers from Amazon Warehouse? There's a router I'm looking at that is listed as "Acceptable," though I cannot find any other description of the item like Amazon used to do (i.e. - in original packaging; packaging will be damaged. Or, missing plugs! Heavy scratches on front of item!). Just from a security standpoint. Seems like if you flash the firmware it should be good to go, but I'm also not an expert.

:tinfoil:
Hah I just did with the XT9, I didn't specify it was Amazon Warehouse. The hitch was the original owner's settings were still on the nodes blocking setup, but it was easy enough to factory reset by holding the WPS button underneath before powering it on ... and keep holding until the status light goes off. Then toggle power. It took less than ten seconds to reset ... not including googling and the time wasted before.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fwiw my Google Home mesh wifi thing was great when I got it early 2020, and it just started sucking and needing manual reboots every ~3 days about a year ago.

I bought the Asus mesh version with just two devices, but I made that the main router ... and plugged the Google poo poo into it so that's still running. All my smart home poo poo is still running on the Google network, our office computers are running from the Asus network, but I haven't needed to reboot it since I set it up over a month ago :shrug:

I'm using the Asus ZenWifi XT9 now. Devices with Wifi7 seem INSANELY priced.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 22, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Where's the nightmare, seriously?

To be more detailed, the old Google network is running 2.4GHz which most of the internet of poo poo stuff is running on at home. I disabled 2.4 on the Asus network.

I am not against testing all the switches and bulbs (and washing machine, and Google Hubs + cameras) on the new network, but I'm really not seeing what the harm is in letting that be its own thing, and my "important" stuff running on the new one. But also the Asus gear seems way better at just being a normal router. The Google Mesh poo poo is just behind the Asus one now wrt WAN.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

I'd be mostly concerned about double NAT or two different DHCP servers. Did the device that was needing regular reboots get removed or is it still in place? After that I'd just personally not prefer to have to maintain two different systems if I didn't have to. It's not hard to just add the old SSID and password to the new WAPs.

If you know all this and aren't looking for advice, then by all means more power to you. Tossing poo poo together and hoping for the best isn't something I'd personally want hanging over my head.
I feel like this shouldn't have mattered, but the stupid old Google Mesh wouldn't let me disable its DHCP server. Most things still worked fine enough, but luckily the Asus had enough LAN ports for me to make the few home devices that needed to, still be able to talk to each other.

edit: it was both the smartest and stupidest networking device I've ever bought. The only one I haven't been able to manually configure one way or another, but that was acceptable when it "just worked". But one day it stopped just working. If I understand correctly, more modern ones have custom firmware available, but I just wouldn't risk it.

Also the Asus just does everything someone with basic network comprehension would need... gently caress it even lets you schedule a reboot which would have been a fine bandaid on the Nest poo poo.

late edit #2: but not sure if I regret the Google Mesh ... it was really not bad at the time and I feel I didn't see better alternatives available when we really needed it (the sudden WFH rush). And frankly the smart speaker stuff has worked great all this time and we're still using that. I'd be happy to get better ones, but haven't found great alternatives for a decent price.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 30, 2024