Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

cannibustacap posted:

If I am connected wirelessly to a friends Wifi or to a free wifi spot, can a hacker track my web usage, even if I am on an HTTPS/SSL web page and I am using SSL email too (like gmail)?

They can track it, sure. Anyone on the network can, by setting their wireless NIC to promiscuous. The owner of the AP could also be logging all traffic.

That doesn't give them the CONTENT that you're looking at, but at the very least, even on an SSL connection, somebody could see what IP addresses you were accessing (from TCP header) as well as domains/subdomains (from DNS requests). I believe that in an HTTPS connection the full address you are requesting would be encrypted. So for example I would be able to see that you were requesting data from forums.somethingawful.com but I would not know whether it was to read a thread, make a post, edit a post, or whatever (assuming the whole thing was https, which it isn't).

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

cannibustacap posted:

Okay cool! That is good to know. There are lots of "free wireless hotspots" and I am concerned about doing any real internet shopping/banking while on there.

Yep, that's basically the coolest thing about TLS. As long as the endpoints (your computer and the destination) are legit, you pretty much don't have to worry about anybody in between snooping your cookies, impersonating your bank, or anything like that.

All bets are off if the endpoints are jacked though. This applies to either your computer being compromised by a virus or the destination site being badly coded and not encrypting everything it should (see Firesheep, which snorts up unencrypted cookies sent over the air for Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, etc.). For banking and big shopping sites you're probably OK though.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Newf posted:

Hello thread. I've just moved into a new apartment with my girlfriend and we had intended to go without an internet connection for a number of reasons but primarily due to addiction issues of mine. After getting our stuff unpacked we learned that our landlords (we're in a basement apartment) have an unsecured wireless network that they're happy enough for us to use. Meh. It's a convenience for the girlfriend, so that's fine and all, but I want to set something up to restrict my own access.

We each have a laptop, and the thing to do with hers is to simply change the windows password so that I can't use it. But for mine, what I want to do is to have the network connection itself password protected. For example, if I wanted to use the internet toward some productive end for an hour, girlfriend would come to my computer, select 'One Hour', type in her password, and the connection would work for an hour and then shut down again.

The functionality I'm looking for seems simple enough that I don't feel like any big net-nanny type software is necessary, and besides, I'd rather not pay for anything or have to worry about bundled malware with free stuff.

Any suggestions for how best to implement this?

ALSO, just how stupid is it to even be using an unsecured wireless network these days? Should I say something about it to my landlords and maybe offer to plug it up for them?

edit: Might I be better off in the 'Windows and Windows Software' thread?
edit2: FYI, my laptop is running Vista.

Don't listen to the other guy, what you should really do is cover your walls and windows with tin foil to act as a faraday cage, thus blocking the wifi signal.