Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug
I guess this is probably the most appropriate place to ask: What the hell is up with VDSL?

I recently moved into a new apartment and decided to try DSL for the first time. I admit I know pretty much nothing about DSL. I just assumed ADSL2+ was the standard so I ordered a new $60 ADSL2+ modem from newegg and 25mbit service from CenturyLink. After hours of trying to get it work, I finally looked up the specs of the leased modem that CenturyLink sent. It's a VDSL modem, which I've never heard of until now.

Wikipedia says ADSL2+ only goes up to 12mbit? I never knew this. Has VDSL always been the norm for upper-tier residential DSL service? I read that it is only available in limited areas. Nevermind, I misread it for ADSL. ADSL2+ is 24mbit.

I also cannot find any VDSL modems on Newegg, Amazon, or any other major retailers. The only ones I've found are high-priced ones at obscure online stores, or used ones from Ebay (which are still more expensive than a cable modem supporting the same speeds). I'm guessing there's some proprietary issues with VDSL?

Speed wise, VDSL seems about 25% faster than cable at my old place so cant complain in that regard. But I dont feel like paying the $6.00 monthly lease fees or shelling out for the more expensive modem. I think I'll switch back after my 6 month intro offer.

It also doesn't help that I cant flash this modem/router either, and I have OCD issues about bridging two wireless routers together.

Corn Nuts fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU