Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Captn Kurp posted:

Hey guys, I was curious if someone here has experience with Palo Alto equipment in a home network. I'm mostly concerned about the way their licenses work and what will work on the device with and without certain licenses. I tried reaching out to PA but they were unable to really answer much and just tried selling me things.

I'm looking at getting a PA-220, I mostly want it to learn more about PanOS and have it serve as an IPSec VPN gateway. If anyone has some tips on the matter, I would appreciate them!

Thanks

I, too, tried to ask them about private/hobbyist license possibilities, and received no answer. :) Let us know if you figure something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Unifi has a poe 2.5g switch now which is tempting but even tho they say its for APs they don't actually sell a 2.5g capable AP yet.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

My issue is I’m thinking about getting away from Ubiquiti for a few reasons I’ve mentioned up thread and I see folks seem to like the TP link and Ruckus APs. Just trying to figure out what I want to do because my AC-Lites are not cutting it. Also if it is the Unifi switch I am thinking it is, it’s a 2.5/5/10 and it’s $600 lmbo.

Can you get a managed poe 2.5 switch for much less than that though?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

According to vyos docs "This option can be given multiple times if you need multiple search domains (DHCP Option 119)."

So trying to set several on the same line is probably wrong.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I'd happily recommend the edgerouter 6p that i use. Solves all my needs and is stable.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

So does anyone have opinions about cheap prosumer/SMB access points? I see there's a lot to choose from now, even if we stick to newer wifi6 capable stuff at around $150:
  • Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Lite
  • Zyxel NWA50AX
  • Grandstream GWN7660
  • Aruba Instant On AP22 WiFi 6
  • TP-Link EAP620 HD
  • TP-Link EAP610 WiFi 6
  • Netgear WAX214
  • Netgear Insight WAX610
Anything that sticks out here? My main requirements are SSID-VLAN tagging and not being forced to license/cloud/account registration crap.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

The home networking megathread: these funny plastic things

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Wibla posted:

Fibre networks are inherently going to be more stable as long as no one hosed up the actual install. Copper networks (*DSL) are much more vulnerable to influence from the environment that affects signal quality over time and leads to a bad/inconsistent user experience.

You’re not wrong. I used to live in an apartment building where every time someone took the elevator my ADSL would drop link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Recommend me a switch?

I'm about to upgrade my AP to probably a Unifi U7 or something (open to suggestions on this point too), so then I need a switch that does PoE+ and ideally 2.5G. I could just go with a Unifi one of course but they're quite expensive and ideally I'd like to manage it with ansible which I believe is hard to do with Unifi.