Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The Asus RT-N56u is also a good router in the same class as the 3700/37AV. I have it and it's been great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hey goons, I'm looking for a solution to this:

I get little or no signal in the garage when its door is closed from my router, which is a pretty decent consumer one (Asus RT-N56U). Should I look into getting a repeater with a directional antenna, or maybe what CuddleChunks was recommending on this page with

quote:

Get a decent wifi bridge, Ubiquiti and Mikrotik/Routerboard are good sources, and then point that at your router. BAM! Huge signal! Next, get a wifi router to provide service on the boat. Now you can cruise around in style.
, or something else?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I need to have signal for a bunch of devices, and most of them won't be computers.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bought dual shock 4s to use with Steam games, works great with my Macbook pro right next to me, but it seems the bluetooth dongle I bought for my desktop has an extremely limited range; being 8-10 feet away and the connection gets laggy and even drops inputs.

Are there higher-powered bluetooth adapters I could get? I googled around and couldn't find anything definitive. In theory it seems like I should be able to get a Class 1 bluetooth dongle instead and that would have increased range, but a lot of customer reviews contradict this. I'm using Windows 7 x64 in case that matters (I saw one person say Windows 8 had better bluetooth support?).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I recently moved to Germany and want a new router. The ISP gave us one that's serviceable but not great, and I have an old Asus N56U, but I want something with great range. Even though we just live in a 2br apartment, the walls in Germany are apparently quite dense and seem to block signals more.

Was looking to stay under $150 or so if possible, so it looks like the Archer C9 is a good bet?

I'm also thinking I'll buy a power line networking set since the phone drop is far away from my desktop.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Reviews of Google Wifi are coming out. Can the mesh network work with multiple wired connections? Specifically I'm thinking of having one hooked up directly to modem and another unit hooked up via powerline networking.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm looking for a new wifi router setup. Currently we have a trio of first gen Google Wifis connected via moca (ethernet over coax). Requirements:

* Generally fast/good
* Multi-gig support for WAN and LAN since we use moca and might upgrade to 2-gigabit fiber in the future
* Don't care about being a mesh network in terms of repeating the signal over wifi, but want the multiple points to behave as a single network in terms of connecting to them/automatic handoffs

Any recommendations? Ideally ones that aren't super expensive. Obviously multi-gig support means you can't go cheap either, but I'd prefer it if the units cost less than, say, Asus' ET12 (which is like $400 per?).

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Calidus posted:

TP Deco 75 pro units have a single 2.5gb port and a gb port. I believe Eero also as a model with 2.5gb port. More than one 2.5gb port and you are spending $$$.
Single multi-gig means you're only getting that speed at the main router, the one hooked up to WAN. But yeah I may just have to bite the bullet and pay up for more expensive solutions.