Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Hey there. I've been having some issues with my home network and was directed here from another thread. I'm a little over my head with this stuff but I'll try to explain as best I can.

So what's happening is when my son and I play some games, Darktide and Risk of Rain 2 specifically, we've been experiencing some issues. After some time, 5 minutes to 20 minutes sometimes, enemies will either stop moving and taking damage or causing damage, or start sliding around and going through solid objects. After a short while one or both of us gets kicked back to lobby.

I haven't made any changes to our router as most of that stuff doesn't make sense to me. I did see some other people have had similar troubles and they talked about port forwarding or triggering, and something about internal vs external ips but I'm not sure if that's something i need to configure for each game or each steam account.

I'm a little lost and would appreciate any help you can offer. If this is the wrong thread my bad!

Let me know if you need any more info. I

Here's a couple videos for illustration.

https://twitch.tv/videos/2092600715

https://twitch.tv/videos/2099748897

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Thanks Ants posted:

To confirm, you are playing on two different PCs behind the same router?

Yes, correct. Sorry forgot that bit. Both hardwired to the router.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't like UPnP but turning it on could possibly solve this, it sounds like it's NAT related

Took a look in the router settings. Upnp was already enabled unfortunately. Should I toggle that off then? Or leave it alone?

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Internet Explorer posted:

I would leave it alone, UPnP makes things easier and turning it off is a security precaution.

What is the make/model of your router? Have you tried power cycling it to see if the problem persists? Does this only happen when you are both playing, or does it happen sometimes when only one of you are playing?

Both being hardwired is good and rules out a lot. Can we just confirm that for sure neither client is using wireless, even with hard wired plugged in?

Also try the pinging part I mentioned in the Darktide thread.

Ok, not touching upnp then.

Router is a Verizon CR1000A I've done a couple reboots on it, and the modem as well. I can't figure out the model of the modem itself.

The issue comes up when we both play. If it's just me I can play both solo and with other people. If he's playing solo he's stable too.

Definitely not on wireless though. Both wireless devices are disabled.

I did the ping test and ran ROR2 on both computers for about 10-15 minutes. Nothing popped up in there during that test. But I may try again with third parties just in case.

and thank you for your help in both threads!

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

astral posted:

Is this cellular internet or fiber internet?

Fiber. 300/300

I'm taking a test drive with protonvpn. Will be testing in a bit. Hopefully that does the trick!