Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Yea with decent wiring you should be fine. I have a powerline kit from zyxel (200mbps) connected from the second floor of my house to my basement and it gets me the full speed of my Fios connection without issue (3.6-3.8 MBps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

friendly gentleman posted:

I think I'll be okay - my building is 3 years old or so.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a solid pair of Powerline adapters? Or are the ones I linked to solid?

I have those adapters. They have been working great for me. I have one on the second floor of my house and one in the basement in my studio. I have Verizon Fios with 25/25 plan and they push all 25mbps down two floors. I have an older house but we have added some new electric wiring and I have used that for them so YMMV but I would say try them out cause they have been working great for me.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
That jack is there in case they set you up with having Internet line go out through Ethernet instead of coax. I know on Verizon you have to tell them beforehand or talk to the installer so they it set it up so you could just run a line from that jack to your own router. I think they could also enable it after installs. That's how it used to be anyways, I have had fios for a while now so don't remember exactly.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
iPhone 5 will do 5GHZ.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Are powerline kits mostly interchangeable at a given bitrate, or are there certain kits to buy/avoid? If I've got time to wait for something to go on sale, how much should I look to spend for 500mb?

I don't know about interchangeability between kits, I guess if they support the homeplug AV standard they should work together but can't give you a definite answer. I have had a Zyxel 200mbps kit for over a year now that works pretty well so I am partial to that brand. Their 500mbps kit is $60 on newegg these days I believe.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Powerline networking blows, or at least it does in my house. All I wanted was 10% of advertised speed on the file level. I got 2–3% no matter which outlet pair I chose.

I have a kit running on electrical lines that are not that old but not that new either and I can hit 75mbps from my fios line. The average speed is closer to 55-60mbps though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The three adapter set you linked should work fine. You don't need a separate one connected to the router for each computer you want connected.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have brought them up in the thread before, if your wiring is decent they're pretty great. I have used Zyxel ones and they've been pretty good. I had a pair of TP-Link which were problematic. Anecdotal evidence but figured I would toss it out there.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Farecoal posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations as far as powerline adapter models go?

I have the Zyxel mini 500 kit and it works well. I have one on my second floor and one in my basement. I get a sustained 70 megabytes while grabbing stuff off newsgroups (I have the fios 75 plan and a direct line to the router can go up to 90 megabits). My home's wiring isn't great either. It's a mix of old and new wiring (from renovating over the years).

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
DSL reports has a guides on using a separate router with Fios in their Fios FAQs.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have the Zyxel 600Mbps ones and they work great. I have Fios 75/75 plan and have no problems getting that. When I first got them I played around with them and got a sustained 90Mbps off super news connection.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have had Zyxel powerline adapters for a while now and they work fine. It's mostly dependent on your electrical system. If you have an older setup it may not work that great or at all. I currently have the 600Mbps powerline kit from Zyxel, they now have a gigabit one though that I saw on sale from Newegg I believe for $60 the other day.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I feel like Wifi ac / 5 is the end of history for what normal people care about. Wi-fi pre-b was extremely rare and expensive. g, n, and ac were all huge upgrades over the previous version. However, Wifi 6 is a marginal improvement for home use cases. Wifi 6E looks to help a lot if you're in a crowded, high density area, but adoption in client devices has been really slow and I bet that we won't see economies of scale kick in like we haven for every previous generation, because 6E is optional. https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#wifi6

Wifi 7 looks like it's going to be another round of marginal improvements, mostly merging in a lot of what made Wi-fi 802.11ad so fast. Have any of you ever used an ad router or device? It works only in the same room with direct line of sight. In real world situations, Wifi 7 is going to be barely faster than Wifi 5 or 6, just like 6 is barely faster than 5. Its biggest benefits, just like 6, are in the case of many, that is on the order 10+ high bandwidth client devices at the same time. You only get the benefits of 6 or 7 if all of the active clients have Wifi 6 or 7, which is unlikely in home environments. Internet of Things bullshit lasts a long time and people aren't going to go replace their smart lightbulb once a new wifi standard comes out.

There were less than 10 years between wifi b and wifi n. Wifi 5 is about 10 years old now, and I'd bet that in 10 years there's still a ton of Wifi 5 both client and WAP devices in usage and that people will be satisfied with them for the most part.

Isn't wifi 7 supposed to allow for concurrent connections to different frequency bands (2.4ghz + 5ghz)? Wouldn't that provide better overall performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I remember when Verizon started wiring my city for Fios. The wait to leave Comcast was brutal.