Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This isn't actually a Home Networking question but close enough. Could someone recommend an access point that we can throw on our small office network to provide wireless access. We only need basic security (WPA2/MAC filtering), it doesn't need to be a router and we need coverage in a room which is about 20m x 20m with a couple of thin partition walls that shouldn't casue much in the way of signal issues (and the most frequent users will be in direct line of sight).

I have a Linksys E2000 at home which has worked well for me, I could just pick up one of those (or similar) and disable DHCP. Is there a benefit to buying a straight up AP over doing this? They don't seem to be any cheaper. WAP610N is £70 and doesn't have great reviews, compares to an E2500 for £75.

Any recommendations would be great, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a house with ethernet faceplates in a few places and I want to put a 4-port switch and a wireless AP on each one because coverage is spotty with a single router. Is there a recommended device that does both of these things at once? The recommended ones in the OP don't seem to have wired ports on them. Bonus points for PoE support, though I'll also need a way to add that at the router end. Would be good to avoid having multiple devices that each need power and everything looking messy.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Antillie posted:

Any consumer router is an AP/switch combo device if you turn off its DHCP server and ignore its WAN port.
Okay, this is insanely obvious and seems like the cheapest and neatest way to do this. So I guess I'll just stick a TP-LINK Archer C5 at each one? Or is there any cheapish decent router that can be powered by PoE so I could stick a single PoE-switch at the (actual) router end and avoid power cables at each AP?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Krailor posted:

Adding in a bunch of APs all over the place seems like overkill for anything that isn't a mansion or some crazy house with chicken wire in all the walls.
Okay, more detail: it's not my house, I'm helping someone else figure out what to buy. I have a decent understanding of networking stuff but haven't ever had a house big enough to need more than one AP and PoE stuff is all new to me.

There is a ISP-provided modem/router by the front door which can't move since that's where the phone/fibre socket is. It's a fairly long house and the signal doesn't carry to the back but that may just be because it's a crappy router. It also has a loft conversion and a garage at the bottom of the garden. He's had CAT6 and faceplates installed already, two in the house and one in the garage, these will give good coverage across the house and garden. And we'll turn off the AP on the ISP router. So not sticking them all over or anything crazy, it's only two in the house.

It looks like I can connect a PoE switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1008P) to the modem/router and then use a PoE splitter (TL-POE10R) at the other end to power whatever router I want, let's say a C5. Anything terrible about this plan?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Viper_3000 posted:

If he needs wired connections for other things in the room, then getting consumer routers and turning them into switches/APs is likely going to be the easiest and cheapest option.
He does, so we'll go with this. And we'll forget PoE, not worth the hassle, can deal with a single power cord to each router.

Given I'm going to turn off DHCP so most of the software features are useless, is there anything smaller than a C5 with decent Wi-Fi performance and 4 gigabit ports? Should I even care much about what routers I pick given I'm using them as dumb switches with APs?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I meant physically smaller, not necessarily cheaper. Maybe they have poo poo antenna on smaller boxes?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

I'm totally with this idea, Mikrotiks are Awesome. loving rock solid compared to any consumer class crap. Just get Winbox ( the management tool for Mikrotiks) and away you go. They can basically be as simple or complicated as you want to get. Aside from the insane flexibility these have, they have really good radios and I have never had to 'reboot' one to get it working again.
How much setup do these need? Will they work out of the box for a basic home setup? Is simple poo poo like setting the AP security settings hidden under a million oddly named settings? We both work in IT/dev but we're not networking guys and neither of us want to be setting up enterprise-level networking gear. I had a fight with a Cisco firewall at work once and that was enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Viper_3000 posted:

I'd ask the guys in the Mikrotik thread how easy/difficult it would be to do what you want to do. (Bridge all the ports, setup the wireless, disable DHCP turning it into a switch/AP)
Thanks (and to the others who replied), I'll do exactly that. It sounds like this should be fine for us to setup though, and they look really nice and compact.