Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Thanks for the update.

A small wish though, in the future when starting a new thread, could you please arrange to have it linked in the last post of the old thread before the old thread is locked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any way to set up the router so that it will join a wireless G network only for the purposes of acquiring an internet connection?

Put the gs router in client mode and connect it to your dual band router.
Bridge the gs wireless interface with the Ethernet interfaces.
Disable the DHCP server on the gs.

How to do so is an exercise left to the reader. Good luck!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mutar posted:

EDIT: According to Lenovo I have the only version of the driver for wireless adapter. poo poo. Now what?

One trick that sometimes works is looking up the OEM of the wireless chip. You can often find reference drivers from the OEM long after the "name brand" company puts the product into end of life.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

waloo posted:

Background for me: I live in China, I have a few iOS devices at home. I'm going to casually refer to all of them as an ipad. I'm not sure if this is exactly a home networking kind of question.

I've been thinking about if it would be possible to set things up so that I could change a few settings on an ipad and be able to use it to see facebook.

One option would be to get the ipad to use a VPN. I don't have a lot of experience with setting up a VPN that iOS supports (probably PPTP+MSCHAP or L2TP/IPSec+MSCHAP) but I guess that's one option.

Another option that I thought about was maybe setting up an HTTP proxy of some sort and having that jump out of the country through some other encrypted means, be it SSH, or VPN, or whatever.

In the latter case, possibly both, I'm still worried that DNS isn't going to go through whatever I setup, and as such China's poisoned DNS is still going to undermine my efforts. What would be some ways to avoid this problem?

Way simpler solution is to try the unblockus free trial for a week. If it works, pay the $5/mo to use their spoof DNS.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

waloo posted:

That looks quite interesting. I'll definitely be giving them a try but am not really clear on what makes them less vulnerable to DNS interception than anybody else.

Edit: In trying to google an answer to my own question, dnscrypt (http://dnscrypt.org/) looks like it is something along the lines of what I am thinking about in terms of an answer to the "tricky ways to forward DNS requests".

If you do end up trying the trial, please post if it works or not. I'm curious to know.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Devian666 posted:

An off the shelf router is only going to cope with one IP address at a time especially when you want individual port forwarding. I'm assuming if you ISP provides a second IP that they would need to provide a second modem for this purpose. I would recommend talking to your ISP about how this would be implemented.

In the 90s my cable modem would provision at least two public ips. All I had to do was plug the cable modem into a hub, and then my two computers into the hub. Each computer got a public ip. There is no technical reason two ips would need two cable modems.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

If your laptop was 802.11n capable you could just create a 5 GHz network and be done with it. Is it?

Not necessarily. Compatibility with the 5ghz band is not part of the 802.11n standard. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#_

Ergo, you may have a 802.11n device that is incapable of operating on the 5ghz band.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have a $100 gift cert to future shop and want to use it to buy some sort of homeplug / powerline solution to solve a weak wireless signal from the basement to the third floor of my place. Is there anything wrong with this linksys with 4 port hub: http://m.futureshop.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10225867&lang=en-CA

Speed isn't really a concern as long as I can do streaming video. I'm more worried about inter-brand operability and forward compatibility with future homeplug tech.

Am I right to assume all homeplug products are brand agnostic and forward compatible, much like you can mix 100mb and 1000mb gear and still have it work at the lower speed?

Is there anything better value on this page or brands or products that I should avoid? http://m.futureshop.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/m/search_m.aspx?q=Powerline&lang=en-CA

Mantle fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 22, 2012

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The Netgear R7000 is on sale near me and I need and upgrade from my wrt54gl. My requirements are dual band 2.4/5ghz, gigabit Ethernet, and actively supported tomato/ddwrt support. I currently do not have any ac devices and don't plan on getting any in the short term.

My current internet is 25/10 and I don't anticipate getting faster than 100/100 in the short term.

Is there a better value router out there that meets my requirements if the R7000 is overkill for my needs? I can get it for about $150CAD.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Krailor posted:

The R7000 is overkill if you don't need AC but that seems like a good CAD price for the router. Check and see if you can get any of these routers cheaper:

N
Asus RT-N66U
TP-LINK TL-WDR4300

AC
Archer c5
Archer c7

If not then 7000 all the way.

Is the RT-AC66U just an AC version of the RT-N66U, with all the same custom firmware support? I can get the AC for about $135 and the N for about $105. Or the WDR4300 for $60. I do have a slight preference to Tomato over dd-wrt but as long as it is rock solid stable I don't reeeeeeealy care.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 29, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

37th Chamber posted:

Unless there is something you KNOW you need Tomato/DD-WRT to do, I would suggest sticking with stock or using a fork of stock called Asuswrt-Merlin (http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/features), it's quite powerful out of the box, if it's not exposed in the webui you can telnet/ssh in and set nvram values by hand, AND you lose hardware acceleration on Tomato/DD-WRT (they refuse to include the closed source binary drivers to do so)

I ended up taking a combination of this advice and the advice to get the RT-N66U since it was cheaper than the R7000 by about $50, and installed the Merlin firmware. It pretty much resolved the wireless problems I expected it to. Hopefully this one will last as long as my WRT54GL did.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

AppleCider posted:

Anyone have experience with Monoprice powerline adapters? The 1Gbps version is about $33 with coupon.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Product/Details/12288

Hmmmmm I'd like to know too. I assume these will work with my existing powerline devices at the lowest common speed?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

37th Chamber posted:

VPN clients on Asus devices (and most home routers) are for the whole network, and not one specific device. They're also grossly under-powered to do tunneling like that at decent speeds, with a PPPoE connection I'm lucky to get 10-15Mbps on my 25Mbps connection.

HOWEVER there is another option (this is what I do), if you use a geo-DNS server like Unotelly/Unblock.us/etc, you can install asuswrt-merlin (fork of the official Asus firmware), and have certain domains resolve with a specific DNS server using dnsmasq. No overhead of encryption/decryption (FULL connection speed), only Netflix would be modified (all devices would have [insert region] Netflix, though, if that is a concern), no VPN required.

Some examples:
https://gist.github.com/epeli/9789586
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/adding-unblock-us-dns-using-dnsmasq.8266/
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/iptables-chromecast-netflix-tunlr.14296/

Sweet thanks! You reminded me that I could do this now that I have a proper routing device =)

Mantle
May 15, 2004

pmchem posted:

I need to replace an old home PC/wireless router. I want the new one to be 802.11ac, have gig-ethernet jacks in the rear to plug in a PC, and plenty of wifi signal strength for business work and streaming Netflix halfway across the house. ISP is Comcast (bleh) with a SB6141 modem, for now.

Going to newegg, filtering by bandwidth, and sorting by most-viewed... it looks like the ASUS RT-AC66U (or 68U), NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900, and TP-LINK Archer C7 are the top contenders. Any reason not to go with one of those, or is there some new hotness? 68U is replacing the 66U, I presume? Which of those has the most secure firmware?

thanks guys.

I was considering the same hardware as you and went with the rtn66u as it had the widest firmware support, working with Merlin, ddwrt, and tomato.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Karthe posted:

I'm in the market for a new router but I'm in an uncommon position of using a Unifi WAP to handle wireless duty. If I'm not interested in a router for its wireless capabilities, will any router work? Is there something else I should take in consideration when shopping around (aside from gigabit ports, USB, etc...)? Is it worth looking at routers that DON'T have wireless?

What do you actually want your router to be capable of doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

My girlfriend and I are moving in together, we have a rental home which is nice but has no real cat5 wiring. The only cable drop is in the living room, the office will be upstairs one floor and will probably house my NAS and gaming PC. In the past I've always hardwired our NAS but I'm thinking about trying wireless this time since there will be minimal interference. I would normally just wire this up but its a rental and the landlord is anal retentive so we're worried about losing our security deposit.

I have an Asus rt-n66u at the moment, is this a horrible idea without moving to one of the newer AC routers? I don't often transfer anything to/from the NAS, it basically just streams moderate bitrate stuff. I can't seem to find any decent desktop PCIE wireless network cards that aren't $100 either.

I would try powerline Ethernet for the NAS first.