Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

We have a nice lab setup in the basement of a University building with several computers and a printer all plugged into the University network. The problem is that anyone in the building can access the printer without being in the lab. The result is that we run through a TON of toner due to people jacking the printer and printing stuff from somewhere else in the building. Is there a solution to this particular problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Triikan posted:

What model printer?

It is an HP 2055

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

So it looks like I have to turn my Raspberry PI into a LTE router and roll an "unlimited" plan on T mobile.

I live in the Los Angeles metro and my super old land lady doesn't tolerate wires on the outside of the complex or I'd just get Spectrum. It's a great time.

Anyway, I am looking at LTE USB dongles to shove onto my Raspberry PI and the options are largely ZTE and Huawei which I am not thrilled about. Any recommendations?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

You say complex - is this an apartment? She's required to grant you access to do things like put up a dish or get cabletv or a telephone line. This isn't up to her. If it's a private residence where you rent a room then I could see her argument.

She lives in an upper back unit on top of six other units. Where does that land her responsibility here?

TMO does 30 gigs before throttling which will meet my watching terrible shows on Netflix on a monthly basis. I have no other internet options

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Alright, I'm gonna try to complete this dumb networking project.

I have an old raspberry pi I used to use as a pi-hole that's setup for that.
I also have an Archer C7 router and a ZTE USB LTE modem.

I am trying to hook this up in a way where anyone connected to the wifi of the Archer C7 is served internet through the ZTE LTE modem.

How should this network look? ZTE plugged into pi, pi tied in through WAN to Archer C7? Can both devices run DHCP? Should only the pi do this? I think these two devices are currently stepping all over each other's toes with DHCP and DNS service and I'm not 💯 on having my eth0 and usb0 tied up properly on the pi.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I actually don't care as long as it serves internet. But I've bungled the settings so much it can't get internet and I'm not sure how it's loving up at the moment.

I've been mostly following this guide for my iptables and so forth.

https://filippobuletto.github.io/home-router-lte/#what-i-need

But I have no idea how to diagnose where it's loving up right now. I've had it get to websites in lynx briefly but it wouldn't share it's network over the Archer even when it did get online.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Thanks for taking a look.

sudo systemctl -a | grep net.ipv4 didn't produce an output to paste

https://pastebin.com/bpRMHXps

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Alright I reflashed my Raspberry PI, picked through a couple more guides, and built it into the Router/access point/LTE modem combo sans using my Archer C7. I dunno maybe I could plug it into the Archer at this point but I'm not sure what I would gain? Better router or less load on the Pi?

The other problem here, is that the internet works for about 30 minutes before dropping. It will begin working again on restart and repeat this process. I'm not sure if this sounds like a configuration file issue, a memory issue with the pi, or something to do with the LTE modem and it's license from the carrier (t-mobile). Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this?

Edit: resolved

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 1, 2019

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

What was it? I’m curious.

A problem on the providers end. Had to call T-Mobile.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Not sure how phone service is delivered in the US but do you have a box on the outside of your house where the drop from the pole / feed from underground goes to?

Depends on how old your neighborhood is. Older homes in the US will have a line run from a pole to the house.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Holy gently caress I wasted a ton of time coverting a raspberry pi to an LTE router

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

astral posted:

If it's running on an SD card, I hope you have a couple of backups.

Is this from too many read write cycles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

_jink posted:

anyone have experience using a cell provider as your primary internet access? I live in a rural area of the decaying empire of america, and am getting mighty tired of 3mb down, but I cannot penetrate the wall of garbage corporate youtube vids and guys with 200 views rambling into cellphone cams to find any good info.

I use a cell provider for mine I guess. It's T-Mobile since they don't throttle me, supposedly, until after 50 gigs with the unlimited plan (if anyone knows a better mobile provider I'm all ears). I mostly use it to watch steaming services though. If I had a solid 3 Meg down connection I probably wouldn't bother with this mobile stuff since the price per gig of service is astronomical.