Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The newest x86 Synology has a Ryzen Embedded in which on paper outperforms the Xeon-D in the model that is nearly twice the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

movax posted:

I added a U6-Lite AP to my garage, and decided to run cable along the ceiling through some surface raceway instead of punching holes because it's the garage, raceway is fine. Have a giant spool of Monoprice Cat6 that I've used before. Installed, crimped both ends, and... no link. I should have tested the cable before calling it good. Managed to get the ends near each other and tested, and had some kind of weirdness between pins 1 and 8. So, I re-crimped it again (cut off the old ends) used my little Monoprice cable tester and this time it passes happily. But... only getting link at 100 Mbit/s, so something's not quite good enough. Forcing to 1Gbit/s instead of auto-negotation results in link failure, so the simple tester is probably just checking continuity but something else could be broken.

Did I gently caress up the cable itself, or the crimping (too much crosstalk / messy wiring at the end)? I've been running a lot of Cat6A around my place lately with arguably more abuse and some messy keystones, and those are carrying 2.5 Gb. I've got a 1000 ft box, so I could pull the entire run and snake a new one through the raceway, and be extra careful on the ceiling to wall transition.

Punch jacks onto the ends and then use patch cables and see how you get on, crimping plugs directly onto solid cable can do strange things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the Instant On stuff is the same hardware as normal Aruba APs then the BLE stuff is used for location and beaconing but probably not exposed in Instant On

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tailscale runs on an Apple TV so if you already have one it could be an option

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bidi optics suggests you're paying for the fibre on a per-strand basis and maybe going a long way with it, you do sort of want something that can read the DOM stuff off the SFP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cloud Gateway Ultra would be an instant buy for me except for the single 2.5Gb port, I'd like to see two of them and a few gigabit ports, and have them be assignable to LAN or WAN which Ubiquiti stuff doesn't always lend itself to. Still a bargain for what you get though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Netgear GS105PE or the Unifi Flex / Flex Mini

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Even if you don't care about privacy, free yourself from the machines

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

quick question:

I've seen these little clip things that hold 4,5,6,8 strands of cat-5 together in a flat, parallel configuration. I want to buy a couple for some cable runways here at home but I don't know what they are called to google them. It's the same kind of thingy that holds spark plug wires together in a car.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Things like this

https://www.newark.com/pro-power/fc-50/clamp-ribbon-cable-50way/dp/25M9366

https://www.newark.com/essentra-components/fcw-50h-19/adhesive-cable-clamp-natural-nylon/dp/66AJ3675

?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To confirm, you are playing on two different PCs behind the same router?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't like UPnP but turning it on could possibly solve this, it sounds like it's NAT related

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tailscale (assuming the connection at the exit node is a high quality residential connection) will be better because the connection won't be coming out of any known VPN provider IP space, so streaming services won't be able to do anything to block access. It will show as AT&T or whatever rather than a datacentre.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody should hate themselves enough to try and terminate shielded cable (Cat 6A), Cat 6 is more than good enough for 10Gb over the distances involved at home.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's probably a 5-port 2.5Gbps switch with a 10Gbps uplink to the SOC or whatever, I don't think Ubiquiti publish block diagrams. So yes, you'd get the full 2.5Gbps between devices on the LAN that were in the same subnet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get a tray that is a drawer that comes out rather than something you need to undo rack screws to get to

https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/fibre..._lc_duplex_24dx

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does ATT give you an IPv4 address on your phone or does it do NAT64 which relies on the IPv4 endpoint being resolved in DNS and not by IP?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The thick cable with the chunky connector on it will be the one from the street

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hell yeah symmetric service. I only bothered with a 500Mbps plan when 2.5Gbps is available because once I can upload at half a gig there's really nothing else I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Packet size will be determined by the application - stuff like VoIP uses really small packets so each one represents a small period of time in order to keep the delay down.