Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
I hope this is the right place to ask my retarded questions.

I'm running a WRT54GL with Tomato (don't judge me, I installed it nearly 3 years ago and went away to grad school).

I'm moving to a different room and our router is located in the basement of a 1 and a half floor house. Will I need a better router to keep my sweet gaming ping and "Excellent" Wi-Fi connection?

Second question. I'm also going to need to switch to a wire-less connection on my desktop. What's a good way to get a signal? I've seen disasters strike with USB adapter solutions before, but that was many moons ago and I can only assume the technology has improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackjack
May 22, 2004

My trusty WRT54GL seems to finally be tottering on its last legs, so I got a shiny new Asus RT-N16 and slapped EasyTomato on it. I'm fond of the original Tomato, and I was wondering if anyone had advice for QoS in the advanced settings. I'd just basically like to make sure games and Skype can play smoothly at the same time, which shouldn't be too much of a bandwidth hog.

:)

blackjack
May 22, 2004

I'm being asked to tweak the home network I installed in my family's house a couple of years ago. It's basically a new Arris SB6183 and a RT-N16 running Easy Tomato. They're experiencing a lot of issues lately with streaming on sites like Soundcloud and Spotify requiring some buffering, reloads on certain pages being necessary and such. The system used to be stable, if not the fastest, covering 2 floors and a basement.

When the Time Warner guy came over, he recommended a Blackhawk router ($200+) if they were going to try to get a decent signal to all parts of the house. I'm really not sure what's appropriate and what's overkill. Any suggestions? I'm happy flashing stuff with DD-WRT over stock firmware if that's going to improve stability and QOS.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2AZLD2/?tag=igndeals14-20

Would this monstrosity be an improvement?