Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I am looking for a router for a 5000 sq ft home that can reach all areas of it. I currently own a WRT54G2 and it's just not cutting it. I can spend upwards of around $200 ish. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

lazydog posted:

If you can run cat5/6 cable, or have someone run it, a couple Ubiquiti Unifi access points on opposite sides of the house should do well, and would allow seamless connectivity when moving through the home.

If you can't run any wires, something like a Ubiquiti picostation might do ok if you can put it in the center of the house.

What kind of range you'll get really depends on the construction of the house and what the walls are made of. The nice thing about the Unifi access points is you can add as many as you need to blanket the place with wifi, and a 3 pack is $200 on Amazon.

Interesting, I didn't realize that those were even possible options. I was thinking of purchasing the ASUS RT-N66U (http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-...ds=asus+antenna). The router is currently right in the middle of the house at a high point so I believe that the ASUS router will be good. If not, I was thinking of purchasing one of these antennas http://www.asus.com/Networking/ to extend the range. Our current Linksys/Cisco WRT54G just barely reaches up to the attic so I think that by replacing it with the ASUS router, everything will work the way I want.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Not sure if this is the correct place to post my question.

I have a work laptop where I do not have admin rights. Is there a way where I can use a VPN between the WiFi connection <-> work laptop?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

skipdogg posted:

What are you trying to accomplish? The work laptop probably already makes you use a VPN.

If you can't install or manage the computer the next best thing would be to connect it to it's own router that has a VPN session setup on it. One of those little travel routers could work.

I intend on traveling in a few weeks and want to be logging in from the country I'm based in.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 26, 2023

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Very basic question - comparing the use of a VPN such as NordVPN to connect to a server in the US vs using Tailscale with an exit node to a US location, is it pretty much the same? For example, when logging in somewhere, it will both show a US IP address if everything is setup properly but besides that, it's the same?