Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So after my old router crapped out, I ordered an Archer C7 as a replacement due to it's high praise from several reviews, including this thread. Some of the reviews seem to say the web GUI leaves something to be desired. Is there a good replacement firmware like DDWRT or OpenWRT that people have zeroed in on? I have read that DDWRT has kind of fallen behind some of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Probably basic QOS stuff, prioritizing web traffic over streaming or torrenting and port forwarding would be the most intense I would need. I suppose I will look through the firmware first and see if it is serviceable before eyeing openwrt.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Got the TP-Link recommended by Wirecutter as the "best cheap router" for standard home use. I put it on sane settings, installed the latest firmware and everything works fine but is DD-WRT (which it supports) recommended for the sake of security if nothing else?

Honestly, if "security" is what you are after, the V2, which all newly purchased ones seem to be, seem to be the most secure due to some hardware changes. Just change the default password/user ID combo and I think you should be gravy. Looking through, the lack of QOS isnt a big enough deal for me to go to a different firmware, lots of nice options on the most up to date, 3.14.3 Build 150427 Rel.36706n.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If I tell my router to use 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as its DNS server, will my connected devices be smart enough to defer to that as opposed to my ISPs DNS stuff?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

It depends on your DHCP settings.

If your router is telling client devices to use the ISP's DNS server(s), the client will make DNS requests to the ISP's server(s) - regardless of what DNS server your router uses.

If your router is telling client devices to use 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as the DNS servers, the client will make DNS requests to those servers - again, regardless of what DNS server your router uses.

If your router is telling client devices to use itself as the DNS server, the client will make DNS requests to the router, then the router will relay the requests to the server(s) you've configured it to use (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4). (Assuming your router has the ability to act as a DNS relay)

I've got an Archer C7, so it just has a checkbox that says "Use these DNS servers" and the tooltips just say that if left blank, it will try to pull them from the ISP, so I'm not sure if it relying on the client's settings or if it is over-riding that.

E: looks like my macbook has 192.168.0.1 as its DNS server for my home wifi, so my assumption is that at the very least it is using the router's settings

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The included PoE adapter for the AC Lite should be fine to also power the EdgeRouter X from the OP, Correct?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

hooah posted:

I've got an Archer C7 from TP-Link. In the last week or two, there have been three or four times when one or the other of the bands (2.4 or 5 GHz) has suddenly become unavailable. Rebooting the router fixes the problem, but I have no idea what's causing it. We have 3 Windows computers, two Android phones, to iOS devices, a Nest, a Google Home, and a PS3 regularly connected. Occasionally my work MacBook is also connected. What could be going on? Is it time to contact TP-Link and complain?

That happens with mine from time to time and it is annoying and maybe a common issue with them. Don’t know how they would work with a replacement sine it was so intermittent.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Does anyone have a pdf or guide for best practices for running and wiring cat6a or cat6 drops?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So why are Ubiquiti as recommended versus MikroTik? Ease of setup with the Cloud Key?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just update the firmware on the C7 and set your 2.4 and 5ghz networks up and you are good. My C7 occasionally forgets it is supposed to broadcast a 5ghz network but a quick reboot fixes it and hasn’t happened since the latest firmware update.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So on a purely academic hypothetical, if I wanted to run single mode fiber around my place, what kind of equipment would I need re: switches, adapters, NICs

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So after looking, Infiniband looks like an intriguing <1Gbps networking solution and some of the gear seems really cheap

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

It's also several orders of magnitude slower, so you better run a very generous DNS cache.

.... No.

That bad :v:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Most of the stuff is just plug and play. Maybe check to see what WiFi channels are saturated using an app of some sort and don’t use those, but other than set a good password it’s straight forward

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I’ve got an archer C7 and have had no issues with heavy usage. Just make sure you get the firmware fully updated and set good passwords on both 2.4 and 5 ghz networks.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Amazon has the Archer A7 now, which came out over a month ago and just appears to be a C7 hardware revision V5, one less USB port, and the KRACK fix at factory default. I dunno, I bought it to replace our old Linksys and am happy with it so far.

Yeah if it’s just a mildly updated C7 I don’t see why it wouldn’t be fine

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Maybe old stock versus new stock?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

You could also just get:

Ubiquiti Unifi AC-Lite for £61.00 and an Edgeroter POE for £135.13. If you didn't need that much router, you could also do an Edgerouter X for £45.05. I think that version of the Edgerouter POE will do either 24v.48v so you could power the wifi access point over ethernet which is nice.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Assuming you are talking about the WiFi accesspoint, it supports 3x3 MIMO so that’s great if your devices support it, and it uses the standard 48v 802.3af for its power over Ethernet, so that might make future router replacements easier, though I’d assume gigabit routers will stay relevant longer than whatever new WiFi standard comes out.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I never even thought about running the ubiquiti cloud stuff off my Freenas box but that’s a neat idea.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. Some guys at work have asked me to help set up a small network. 8 computers running Windows, for a virtual reality setup. I think it needs to act like the type of network you'd play video games over in a LAN party. It also needs to connect to the internet via WIFI.

What hardware would I need? Eg I think I need a router-like device that has 8 ethernet ports and a wifi antenna. Any specific recommendations? Any pitfalls? Thanks.

I think you are probably best served with a router that has gigabit ports, most commonly 4 ports, and a network switch with 8-16 ports. What does the budget look like?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I have what may be a dumb network setup question. I just moved and am using it as an excuse to reorganize my networking equipment. I have an ISP provided modem, wired to an Archer C7. After downsizing, I have only a Pi Hole, networked printer, and my NAS that take a hard wire connection. After that are an assortment of WiFi devices like 3 laptops, a Wii U and Switch, a Fire TV, and a Chromecast. Previously had enough wired devices that only the pihole and a gigabit switch were connected to the router with everything else on the gigabit switch, but now with only 3 wired devices is there any practical or performance use for still using my gigabit switch as opposed to just my router, which has 4 gigabit ports?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Rexxed posted:

You can just plug stuff into the router if you don't need the extra ports your switch provides anymore.

I mean I knew that and I doubt that I punished my lan enough to make a huge difference, I just didn’t know if there was some performance I would be leaving on the table. Makes my life easier though.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think that’s the plan. Next time we move is when we are buying and I’ll do a rack mounted switch and wire the house with Ethernet jacks and some Unifi APs.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Struensee posted:

I have a couple of computer fans that I'd like to put in my networking case. There's room to put them in - but how do I power them?

What type of connector do they use? Molex, 3 pin, or 4 pin?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Just chiming in to say Pihole loving rules.

I had mine set up, I moved and my router won’t see it now so I don’t know what changed but I need to sit down and figure it out.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think the idea is if you are running one cable to a wall, run 2+ and just get a faceplate that has the right number of keystones and do that since the extra work of pulling multiple versus one cable is minimal. So if you need a faceplate on several walls, do that and just add an extra cable or two to each.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Also consider cat6 instead of cat5e too. Not a ton of cost difference and perhaps faster if multi gig stuff comes down to the consumer level.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

On the flip side if you have a NAS and want to make sure that network wire speed is never a bottleneck there is that.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

And if you did have a use case of a ton of users, you could probably run it on a newer Atom based deal or a NUC with gigabit ethernet and it work pretty splendidly. For household use, I think even a Pi1 is still not really a bottleneck.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I always thought about doing pfsense but I know enough about security to have an idea of what things are but not enough to really know if I’m doing it right, and I can’t really get a bead on what type of hardware to use.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Tapedump posted:

How do you have like 10x the amount of blocked domains I do? Is it because I just set my Pi-Hole yesterday, or are you adding in more block lists to Gravity?

This is a very good place to start, but if you just add everything willy nilly, you might have to whitelist some stuff as you go:

https://firebog.net/

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pihole can also help on mobile devices where robust adblocking extensions may not exist

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

Anyone that's purchased an Archer C7/C9 recently - how's your 5GHz performance been? Do you ever have it just randomly die on you? I'm looking to get a new router, and the Archer C5 I bought a few years ago has a problem where the 5GHz wifi will just disappear after a couple days of use, until I power-cycle the router. Apparently I wasn't the only one with that issue, but the only suggestions I've gotten were "update the firmware" and "try custom firmware", neither of which helped.

I'd like to get a C7 or C9, but I see a few reviews on Amazon mentioning that same issue, and I don't want to get burned again. I could have just had bad luck on the equipment I got, though.

I have the mysterious 5ghz disappearance and generally one restart fixes it. if I was shopping at this point I'd rather get an Edgerouter-X and a Unifi AP which wouldn't be that much more expensive than the C9.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It is crazy to me that the 5ghz thing has persisted through every firmware update they have published since the day I bought the thing and leads me to believe that it is a hardware issue at some level, but I can't really be sure. It does seem like a relatively common occurrence though.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

For what it’s worth I initially had my pihole as my DHCP server too and it was a bit more of a pain in the but instead of just letting the router do it. Of course that’s with a consumer Archer C7 and maybe the USG night play better, but I don’t know if any specific advantages of using the pihole as the DHCP server too.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Does it get recognized enough to make the DHCP lease just permanent and effectively give it a static IP address?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Wacky Delly posted:

Speaking of TP-Link routers. I got a C59 Archer to set up at my parents. 95% of the time, it's great. However, it seems that after 3 or so days without a reboot, the wifi loses connection to the internet. Now I'm not sure that will matter too much, but it seems odd if only because of how consistent it is.

The router is set up on PPPoE through their DSL modem. I almost wonder if it doesn't renew the DSL connection properly, but I haven't nailed it down. Any thoughts?

I have an Archer C7 that just forgets 5GHZ is a thing once a week or so, so I dunno if it is just an TP-Link thing or not.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I don’t know how well it would work but maybe you can get a wireless router, connect your hotspot to it, somehow find the IP address and set that as the gateway in your router, then set the Pihole up as normal from there? I don’t know if it works that way because I think a lot of phones try to take over the routing when you would use a hotspot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Why are some apostrophes displaying weirdly? In the iOS app and on Chrome.

Probably something that got broke with some character encoding on the forums. Its like that for everyone