Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mozi posted:

Per my question on the last page, I just bought a new router (Netgear WNDR 3700). When I set it up and it asks me to input my PPPoE settings, it takes them and says it successfully connected to the Internet (when I input my info wrong it tells me so). However, when I'm finished with setup I have no internet access. In the router manager I don't have an IP address or DNS server (both are set to be assigned automatically), but on my devices each show up as having IP and DNS of 192.168.1.x. Windows troubleshooting tells me it's my modem, and Lenovo Diagnostic tools tells me to check my firewall. If I plug my old crappy router back in, it works fine. My friend, who set up the old router and has forgotten the password to access its settings (so I can't compare them), tells me all that was needed was the PPPoE info. Does anyone have any idea what the likely problem is?

Who is your ISP, and what kind of DSL modem are you using? Does the new router show a valid WAN IP?

On a personal note, with the amount of streaming I'm doing to various devices in my house, I need to upgrade to something faster than a 54G connection. I need a WAP/bridgeable router that can act as a gigabit switch and a N access point. The upgrade is mostly being driven by streaming 1080P stuff to an ATV3 and iPads/iPhones. I would love to stay under 50 bucks, but will consider anything under 100 for this particular project.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How are you streaming your content? 100mbit is plenty for even the highest bitrate HD content out there.

I would bet you're having to do some kind of on the fly transcoding, and the source machine isn't fast enough to handle it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

For a little more than that Netgear you should be able to score a HP 24 port gigabit switch on ebay.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No, not really.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm looking for a router to act as a WAP in my house. All I need is 5ghz @ 300 mbit and gigabit switch ports. I prefer to spend as little as possible without sacrificing quality (ie my old netgear I had to turn upside down and put a fan on for it to be stable).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lufiron posted:

Yeah. The cost was a bit steep, but I wanted it to work much like my old linksys did. I read online reviews about other high end wireless routers that were similar in cost and performance such as the ASUS RT-AC66U, but comments left kept saying how they would have to restart the router daily to restore performance. I recently purchased a home and don't have time to flash and tinker with routers when there's renovations I'm doing myself, so I said gently caress it and bought the apple.

I'm tossing the idea around of buying the 5th gen AEBS. Refurbs are 85 bucks right now and I don't need AC coverage. Used ones are going for around 50 bucks

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

kid sinister posted:

My parents have a pretty big house and need a new router. I hooked them up with an old WRT54G with Tomato that I had lying around and it worked pretty good until a few months ago it started dropping connections like crazy. At first I thought that it was just that their iPhones and iPads had tiny antennas and were moving out of range, so I moved the router into the very center of the house and got them a repeater for the house addition where they had the most problems. During these past holidays, they mentioned that their wireless woes never stopped. It turns out that a repeater doesn't have anything to repeat if the source router is crapping itself regularly... I'm tired of it, they're tired of it, they gave me money to replace it. So what's a good router for a 2000 ft2 3-story? I might as well upgrade them to N while I'm at it. I run an RT-N16 at home. The only thing I wish it did was dual band.

Consider a 5th Gen Airport Extreme base station. They are 85 dollars refurbished from Apple right now and do dual band 2.4/5Ghz and are by all accounts rock solid routers. If you want to just set it and forget it, it's what I would pick for my extended family right now. The 85 dollar price tag is pretty decent as well. There are a few dual band routers that are cheaper, but you can count on not having to futz with the AEBS.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Shaocaholica posted:

I ask this every year but are we any closer to 10G at home or built into workstations? I know its a lot of bandwidth but I'm already hitting that at work and somewhat at home. Its more like the difference between waiting 10 minutes for files to copy vs however less it would be with 10G.

I feel like consumers/smaller businesses would be inclined to get 10G switches if their workstations all had it standard but not if it meant getting a NIC as well. Kinda like 1G. I didn't know anyone back in the day who really wanted to buy a 1G NIC but all of a sudden they were standard on mobos and laptops.

I know 10G adoption is slow and very few people would have a real use for it but that doesn't mean its not going to happen.

Not really. It's still cost prohibitive. 600+ dollars for an adapter and over 1000 for the cheapest switch

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AceSnyp3r posted:

Is the recommended router list in the OP still accurate (hasn't been updated in over a year)? I want a new router since I'm getting tired of my RT-N16's poo poo.

It's fairly out of date. I just bought a TP-Link Archer C7 1750 AC box and will post a trip report on it in a few days. I was going to get a 5th gen AEBS but I had 100 Amazon bucks to spend so I took a chance on it. If I don't like it I'll just return it and pick up the AEBS.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ashex posted:

RT-N66U is apparently the new golden child, TP-Link TL-WDR4900 is the alternate if you're cheap.

I thought the new Netgear R7000 Nighthawk was the best on the block right now? I'm not sure if any of the newer AC routers have 3rd party firmware support yet though, I recall reading something about driver issues on one of the websites preventing it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

skipdogg posted:

It's fairly out of date. I just bought a TP-Link Archer C7 1750 AC box and will post a trip report on it in a few days. I was going to get a 5th gen AEBS but I had 100 Amazon bucks to spend so I took a chance on it. If I don't like it I'll just return it and pick up the AEBS.

First impressions on this router is to stay away. It seems there's some kind of issue with it and Broadcom chips where the 5ghz won't connect. I found some beta firmware on some guys blog and it didn't really help unless you turn WPA/2 off on the 5ghz. Then clients can connect.

I have mostly apple devices at home and none of them will connect. 4 iPads 3 iPhones and my win7 laptop with the 6200AGN card and none will connect on 5ghz. Everything else is hardwired.

I'm going to return it and get an AirPort Extreme like I should have in the first place. The 2.4ghz performance isn't that great either so there's no real reason to buy this router at all.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The TP-Link box went back today. I got the latest beta firmware from support and it still didn't play nice with my gear so I said gently caress it and it's going back. I don't have the patience for this.

Psimitry posted:

Question for you guys: why is it so difficult for a router to limit bandwidth to a certain IP on its network? As I do google search after search, this is not an uncommon feature to ask for, yet everything always points me to using QoS on my current router (didn't work) or using DD-WRT (installed successfully, NOTHING except standard router functions worked).

Now I get that the mindset in router functioning is that as long as the bandwidth isn't saturated, it doesn't seem like there should be a reason to limit it, and to go with a prioritization scheme, but this never seems to work either. And bandwidth limiting seems to be such a commonly requested feature, you would think that SOMEONE would have made a router with this function built in.

I think you're going to have a hard time with consumer level gear handling stuff like this. I've had decent luck with pfSense running on an old P4 box doing limiting and prioritization, and something like an Edgerouter or Microtik might handle it better as well.

If you're looking for something to do:

Torrentbox can use all bandwidth at priority level 3 unless priority level 1 or 2 clients need more. Gaming PC gets priority 1 on all data, whatever is left over other clients can have. Netflix client is priority 2, gaming pc comes first, Roku 2nd, and whatever is left over torrent box can have.

That's probably not going to happen very easily.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 9, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The 5th + gen AEBS is 3x3 MIMO which should be good for 450Mbps on 2.4 or 5Ghz.

So yeah, theoretical speeds by going to a 450Mbps adapter you might see a little more throughput on internal data transfers, but personally I wouldn't bother spending any money to change the adapter. Your internet connection won't get any faster (assuming you don't have some 1Gpbs fiber). So unless moving major data wirelessly in your home network is important, don't worry about it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I just picked up an Apple Airport Extreme 6th gen and I love it. Took 4 minutes to configure and I haven't thought about it since. It doesn't do anything super fancy but it's rock solid for what I need it to do.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I had no issues using the 5.6.1 Airport utility on my Windows 7 laptop. If you're looking at an AEBS and don't need AC connectivity the 5th gen is a steal at 85 bucks right now. I was going to get the 5th gen but I'm in impatient bastard and didn't want to wait for it to come in. I had 150 in Amazon gift cards so it only set me back 60 bucks out of pocket and had it shipped 1 day.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 21, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Farecoal posted:

Since the OP's outdated, what routers are currently considered the best, especially in the under $100 category?

What features are you looking for? Options can range from a 30 dollar Belkin with 3rd party firmware to the 200 dollar Netgear Nighthawk mega router or even more if you want

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

more falafel please posted:

I'm in the same market, $100 or less-ish. I'd like to be able to put DD-WRT or Tomato on it, good signal, decent RAM, lots of supported connections for torrents/etc, (I guess this is probably a firmware feature, but I imagine CPU/RAM have something to do with the upper limit). From the OP what seems to fit the bill best is the ASUS RT-N16, but if that's outdated, I don't know.

All I know is my WRT-54GL is a piece of poo poo now, and I want a decent router.

The RT-N16 is still a very good single band router. It's only going to do 2.4Ghz 300Mbps though. If you want a dual band router the RT-N66U is pretty solid these days. 256MB RAM and 32MB Flash on that bad boy.

Some Linksys routers might still fit the bill, no personal experience with them, but the E3200 or E4200 might work, looking at prices on Amazon though I would just spend a few extra bucks and get the ASUS.

On another note, I had a need for a non wireless connection and I really didn't want to climb my fat rear end up into the attic and run an Ethernet connection through 18 inches of blown-in insulation. I picked up a 40 dollar set of power line networking do-dads and I have a rock solid connection that was setup in less than 60 seconds. I have a newer house with good wiring but these things are pretty awesome to be honest.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 25, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm beating a dead horse here, but if you don't care about 3rd party firmware, or some of the more advanced features in some of these routers, I really recommend the Apple Airport Extreme. Rock loving solid device. 5th gen refurbs are cheap right now from Apple and the 6th gen AC unit is the same price as all the other 200 dollar AC routers out there, or can be had refurb for 169 from Apple.

ninjagrips posted:

I've noticed lately that the Monoprice router I've been using needs to be reset usually once a day, sometimes more.

Seems to happen a lot when I turn on the Wifi on my phone. I'll get an IP address conflict. Or when my roomie turns on her old-rear end iMac.

Would I need to assign static IPs to avoid this sort of thing? Why can't the router just assign the next damned number down the line for each device that's connected?

I've always had issues with routers, tried to understand them, but for the most part have given up.

Is the Linksys E2500 from the original post still a good option? They've got some refurbs for cheap on Newegg, so I figured what the hell, I'll give 'er a shot.

EDIT: They HAD the E2500 refurb for cheap on Newegg. Hoping I made the right decision in ordering one, it was $30, now they've jumped up to $99. Did I get lucky?

Try a work around, see if you can reserve your phone a specific IP in the software. If you're using 192.168.1.100-.200 tell it to give your phone .199 every single time. It's a lazy work around for poo poo that should just work, but sometimes that's what you have to do. You're looking for the phrase DHCP Reservation somewhere in the GUI.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The E2500 for 30 bucks is a good deal. Pretty decent router. Broadcom chipset, 8MB flash, 64MB RAM and looks to have working builds of DD-WRT and Tomato.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know that I personally would run 6 total lines, but I would run 2, maybe 3. If you have the cable feel free to run 6. It won't hurt anything.

At least 2 in case sometime in the future you get IPTV service or something. You don't want all that multicast traffic on your normal data lines. Easier to keep it separate. The 3rd is redundancy. Pulling cable is a pain in the rear end and I'm a big fan of if you need 1, go ahead and pull 2. (This might be a habit from work though, labor is usually more expensive than the cable so if I need runs done I always have them run a second ethernet. Almost the same amount of labor, negligible extra equipment cost.) I have a Gig desktop switch in my main entertainment area that feeds my HTPC/AirportExtreme/PS3/ATV etc and it's fine. Just a basic D-Link 8 port Gigabit switch.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I believe the Ubiquiti UniFi AP's are well regarded in this thread.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

chizad posted:

Also, can the AEBS's (specifically the 5th gen ones) be put into a bridge mode so they can be used just as an AP? (I assume the answer is yes, but doesn't hurt to ask.) Even though my current Linksys E3000 is working just fine, I'm considering grabbing a 5G AEBS.

It sure can. It's a single checkbox in the utility If you don't need any of the advanced features of other routers I love love love the AEBS

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have a pair of powerline networking doodads and they work really well. Took me 60 seconds to plug them in and pair them, and I haven't thought about them since. I bought them on Jan 22 off Amazon, so it's been over a month with zero issues.

To answer some of your questions

1: You can have multiple ones in the house, I think the limit is 16 or something.

2: The 2nd gen powerline adapters (AV2/500) are much more forgiving than the first gen tech when it comes to where in the electrical system they are plugged in at. If they're in the same house they should work if you have reasonably new wiring in good condition. Just don't plug them into surge protectors.

I have a pair of these.

A few things worth mentioning. The 500mbit claim is marketing bullshit so don't get your panties in a wad when they don't connect at that speed. That's maximum theoretical connection rate by using 100% of all available spectrum in a perfect scenario, aggregate of all devices. I have a 4 year old house and I see about 120 mbit between the two adapters in my house. That's plenty considering my internet speed is only 12mbit and I just needed to get the internet to my gigabit switch where all my stuff is.

If you do care about intra-household transfers, expect 100mbit speed which I think is fine for what these adapters do. If you need actual gigabit throughput, run Cat5e.

Powercrazy posted:

Fast and Reliable. I'm ok spending some money as long as I don't have to gently caress with the router with daily resets and poo poo like that.

If you don't care about any fancy features or being able to manage every detail of the router I really like the Apple Airport Extreme boxes. Plug them in and forget they are there. They just work. 5th gen refurbs (N900) are 85 bucks from Apple. The 6th gen AC is nice but is very expensive. I've also heard good things about the EnGenius line of routers as being rock solid. If you want to tinker, get a 3rd party firmware compatible ASUS.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 28, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

THF13 posted:

I just ordered a refurbished ASUS RT-AC66R from newegg for just $109.99, which according to my googling is just a best buy renamed ASUS RT-AC66U, one of the best comsumer home AC wifi routers, and it supports tomato. Coupon code is EMCYTZT58863

If I have made a terrible mistake someone please let me know, but it seems like a pretty good deal since it's $169.89 new on Amazon.

I saw this on SlickDeals as well. It's a good deal, just beware the 90 day warranty and check the return policy. I suggest picking up a square trade warranty and/or using a credit card to protect yourself.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Depends on what you want from your equipment. I'm a big fan of Apple Airport Extreme's, but they don't have a lot of the 'power user' functionality some folks in here like.

The ASUS or the Netgear Nighthawk are both fine routers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Another Person posted:

If I was looking into buying some powerline networking equipment intended for use in gaming, what product would you recommend most? I'm in a position where I cannot move the router, and I know wireless will not provide the connection I am looking for, so I am looking at powerline. It kinda sounds too good to be true, to be honest.

Any of the v2 stuff will work. I have these and they work great. Make sure they're the v2 500Mbps. I get around 120mbit real world connection.

tijag posted:

I'm not sure how the Airport Extreme could be better than the Netgear 900 AC router I got. The Netgear router was cheaper, looks more like a ship from Star Wars, and has ridiculous range and transfer capabilities.

The Web UI is fine, but not flashy. Although I guess if you wanted more abilities you could flash it.

In my opinion the Apple Airport Extreme's main benefits are twofold

1- Hardware, Apple is known not to cut corners on their hardware. The airport extreme uses very nice broadcom chips and pairs it with 512MB of RAM

2- The software running on the hardware. Airport Extremes runs VxWorks embedded OS, instead of an embedded Linux kernel. It seems to handle high traffic loads much better than some embedded Linux systems.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You shouldn't. That's one hell of a home network. 3 AP's?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If your clients are 5Ghz capable, and you don't have a massive area to cover, it will make a huge difference. I went 5Ghz at home and it's been fantastic. Much faster.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SlayVus posted:

So I think I am in need of a new router at my parent's house. The Wifi shits the bed sometimes, download and uploads speed choke up to slower than dial-up levels and occasionally you just can't connect to it at all without a power cycle.

Currently using a 2 or 3 year old DIR-655 with 1.37 NA firmware. We're on a 50/5 Mbps cable connection.

What I am looking for
  • 2.5GHz and 5GHz simultaneous broadcasting
  • 802.11 G/N/AC simultaneous broadcasting
  • DD-WRT compatible(Not a deal beaker) - If not DD-WRT, a robust user interface would be great
  • Under $150
  • External Antennas - Preferably removable

What am I using it for
  • Multi-device video streaming at HD resolutions
  • Large downloads from Steam or other gaming sites - Like setting Steam to download like 100-150GB of games in one sitting | I use netlimiter on my PC to limit my download speeds to roughly 2-2.5MBps
  • Online gaming
All at the same time

G/N/AC simultaneous broadcasting is a big must as we have a laptop and gaming console that use G, a few TVs that use N, and one or two devices that use AC.

I do all this stuff at home with my Airport Extreme 6th gen. It's been rock solid. No DD-WRT or robust user interface, or external antennas, but it is a beastly rock loving solid router that easily lets me do everything you want it to do. At any given time I can have HD streaming going on 3 iPad's, an AppleTV, and 2 laptops doing internetty things and it's never once hiccuped. I have a mix of 2.4/5 clients and one AC client right now.

Other than the Airport, I'd look into the Netgear Nighthawk or the newest ASUS unit. Buy from somewhere with a good return policy.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Farecoal posted:

How well does powerline work if the two connectors are on different circuits?

The Generation 2 stuff works much better than the old Gen 1 stuff. Make sure whatever you buy is the 2nd gen chipset. Any of the marketed '500mbit' adapters should work.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DizzyBum posted:

My wife and I just moved into a new house, so I thought I'd upgrade our home network. Here's a quick diagram showing how everything will be connected (dotted lines = wifi):

Fairly standard setup. My office sits above our living room, which is the entry point for our internet connection. The owners actually ran some cable into the wall in the back corner for an easy hookup upstairs. I'd like to take advantage of that, buy a new wireless router, and put a small gigabit switch upstairs in my office.

The media server will just be an old laptop for now. Eventually I'm going to build a new desktop gaming PC, and my old one will become the media server.

For the wireless router, I was looking at something along these lines (preferably with ac since that is coming down the pipe now):

TRENDnet TEW-818DRU AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Router

Seems it's fairly new and it's DD-WRT compatible but not stable with it yet. However the reviews I've read so far say the stock firmware is just fine.

I'm not sure what to pick up for the extra gigabit switch upstairs. I just need something that will quickly and easily extend the wired network with a few more ports.

There are ZERO reasons to buy that TrendNet router. It's terrible compared to the other options, and its not even that much cheaper. Spend a few more dollars and get the Netgear Nighthawk if you want AC1900.

MisterAlex posted:

We're looking at redoing our wireless setup at home, but it doesn't look like the main thread post has been edited in a while. I remember 802.11n had a wobbly start at first but got better after a fashion; is 802.11ac still something to wait on, or is it pretty much prime time? I know it would require updating NICs, but we're okay with that if it means fast, reliable connections.

I know the latest Apple router supports ac, but I don't know if it's one of the best options if we're not wanting to overpay. That said, we're also not afraid of plopping down $200 if it's good. And I have an iPod Touch, so I could run the config app.

This thread has a nice list of routers, but I think it's probably a bit outdated now. If 802.11ac is the way to go, do y'all know of a trustworthy site with benchmarks/reviews of different models?

I am a huge fan of the Apple routers if you can live with their limitations. I've had mine 5 months now and aside from a firmware update I have not thought about it at all. It just works in my house.

As for AC, if you have AC clients or plan to shortly get some go for it, if not get a quality N750 or N900 router instead.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SEKCobra posted:

Dont buy a nighthawk right now. Bad investment.

Can you maybe give us a little more information about this statement. Nighthawk due for a price drop? V2 coming soon?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Start removing things from the equations.

When things get lovely, directly connect 1 computer that you know works well to the cable modem.

Still lovely? Issue with cable modem or cable providers network. Call Tech Support and jump through their hoops.

If things get better, slowly start adding things back until things get lovely again, then you find your culprit.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I currently live in a house that was converted into 4 apartments and we're all planning on going in on the Internet. I need a new router than allows me to:

-cap speeds for specific Mac addresses so nobody hijacks the connection trying to steam 1080p content on Netflix
-handle 10+ devices connected to it
-has USB 3.0 functionality so I can attach hard drives to it.

Should I just go with the Netgear AC1600 or ASUS RT-56U? I'm having a really hard time determining if both devices support multiple hard drives attached through a USB hub, along with what the external drives need to be formatted as.

I would be rolling my own pfSense box in this case. Consumer level gear might work for a while, but in the end it's going to cause you headaches. I setup a pfSense box as a public wifi router and haven't touched it in drat near 3 years. I put a multi port NIC in there, and configured a WAP and it has just worked ever since.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

It's a shame the ASUS routers seem to have the best USB read/write speeds (by far) but their ~$100 units have other issues. I'm not sure I'm willing to invest the time or money on a bfsense box.

Back to the drawing board.

The time issue is there, but a pfSense box doesn't have to cost much. I used an old Pentium 4 computer we had laying around (free) and bought a 2nd ethernet card for it (15 bucks), then put my old router in bridged mode to act as a wifi AP (free). Setting up the software did take a couple of hours, but I haven't really had to think about it since. It might be worth your effort.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NIGARS posted:

Unfortunately it's either the 7260AC hardware itself or the current Intel drivers, so the problem isn't going to be solved by changing your wireless connection manager software. Google '7260AC issues' and you'll see it's pretty widespread.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga with the same card, and about once every couple of weeks the wireless will drop and not reconnect until I switch airplane mode on and off again. Not a huge deal really but it looks like others have much more severe problems with it.

I've had a 7260AC card for a few months now in my Dell E7240 running Win8.1 with zero issues. What driver version are you running? I just checked and I'm on 16.6.0.8 and I've had no issues connecting to anything. From old 2.4Ghz 54G AP's to 300N, to my Airport Extreme AC at home.

Looks like Driver version 17.0.3 is out on Intel's site. Might be worth a shot?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Argue posted:

This isn't actually a home networking question, but I couldn't find a more appropriate thread. I discovered something bizarre about my internet connection, and I'd like an explanation.

Basically, we have a lovely ISP here in the Philippines, and our DSL connection keeps going on and off. It's not just that we aren't getting an IP address; the DSL indicator itself flashes erratically every few minutes. What I discovered, though, thanks to all the time I've put in calling the service center, is that any time I'm in the middle of a call, our DSL connection is perfectly fine. I'm now at the point where I'm placing phone calls to myself, just to keep the connection stable.

I don't need to know how to solve it; that's really the ISP's responsibility. That said, I'd like to know... what the gently caress? Why does this work, and is this an indication of a specific problem with my line?

you have a defective POTS splitter on your line. I saw this all the time when I did DSL tech support a decade ago. DSL works when the line is open but not when it's closed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rexxed posted:

If it were up to me I'd buy some of these and see if they work:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/

I have these and they work well. If you want to buy local and take advantage of an easier return policy if they don't work, see what BestBuy has in stock and have them price match the internet. Make sure you get the 500Mbps, which will be HPNA v2 and work better than the old 85Mbps or 200Mbps ones.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Powerline adapters work pretty well these days. I have a set of the 500Mbps TP-Link adapters and they connect at about 117mbit and I see over 100mbit in real world throughput.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That just sounds like a massive amount of interference, OR the antennas on the AEBS came loose when you moved.

I'd lean towards interference since you can go 10 to 20 feet away and it still works. A wifi chipset with a disconnected antenna is worthless after a few feet. Being that you live in an apartment I would guess that 2.4Ghz is so saturated its basically loving worthless. Can you force just 5Ghz and see if things get better? Other than that, take the Airport apart and verify both antenna cables are properly connected and seated.