Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im using Ethernet over Power in a 130 year old house and im maxing out my 100mbps cable connection. Netgear 200mbit kit.

the only time I have ever set them up and have them NOT work is in a doctors office, who had filtered mains power to all rooms due to the operating theater equipment.

I have done a lot of home-setups that require them and they are always rock solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I rent and I have a dual band router at one end of the house that unfortunately cant be relocated as thats where the coax comes in for my cable internet. I run my PC/NAS into the router at that end of the house with the direct path running through the kitchen wall, the fridge, the cupboards and another wall to the loungeroom.

I run Powerline AV to the loungeroom for Xbox/AppleTV. I think its gigabit, maybe, probably 500mbps.

the loungeroom gets bad wifi. This is where we are using the wireless devices most of the time, in addition to the yard which has poor cell coverage (which is also 1 storey below the lounge)

is there any powerline endpoints that function like wifi APs that I should be looking at? Ideally one that uses the powerline as the backbone but uses the same SSID so its seamless.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Armacham posted:

You could easily just plug a router or access point into your powerline endpoint. Setup will depend on exactly what you purchase.

true, I guess I was looking for something I assumed existed but added some complexity.

I have an old airport express kicking around, although the last time I used that apparently their repeating/extending functionality is reserved for Airport extremes, not just any old router (it didnt work with my old router, a netgear WNDR3700 for example)

should that work, or should I just look into getting a dedicated extender/repeater from this decade?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rexxed posted:

It mostly depends on the environment you're putting them in. Most of them use wireless backhauls (one of the radios is dedicated to sending traffic through the other access points in the mesh back to the base) so there can be a little bit more latency but when they work they're pretty solid. If you've got long distances to cover or plan to put the APs in areas that the wireless backhaul has issues in then it won't work that well. For a lot of homes it seems like a good solution if you don't mind paying a bit more to not run Ethernet, though.

google wifi and linksys velop both offer 2 gigabit ports on their satellites, and will automatically use ethernet backhaul if its connected. SOME models of Orbi offer this, but not all.

I have my own question, similar to this.

I have a small 2 bed house and my cable internet comes in at one end. at the other end is my lounge, dining and rear deck, where i like to sit outside and use the internet, but cant, as there is many walls and cupboards between the deck and the router and while my iphone reports 2 bars of wifi, it usually struggles to work. I have poor 4G coverage and somewhat rely on Wifi Calling to work.

I have 2 routers available. will disabling wifi on the primary router at the end of the house with the cable, and disabling DHCP on the secondary at the lounge room, be a similar outcome to spending money on a decent mesh system? I have ethernet over power to the loungeroom for Xbox/Apple TV already.

the only caveat is that while the router broadcasting wifi is more central in the house, it will be a bit closer to the ground, in a open faced TV unit.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

After my last post I decided to try putting an old router in AP mode in a central location of the house and it has resolved my coverage issues.

the problem now is that the Netgear D6400 is a piece of poo poo and randomly fucks out, resulting in wifi devices not getting internet access and being prompted for the password to the network (which will always show as invalid) until you reboot the D6400. Ethernet connected devices also get 169.254'd and dont work either.

Now, I kinda like this setup, since the 4 gigabit ethernet ports supply my TV, Nintendo Switch, Xbox and Apple TV with connectivity to the network via Ethernet. But, as I said, its a piece of unreliable poo poo in this specific setup, so I am looking at the Asus EA-AC87.

The Asus EA-AC87 says it works in "AP Mode" too, with ethernet connection back to the main router, however I cant seem to find if the other 4 available gigabit ports are still usable. the manual doesnt specify a port for ethernet connectivity to the primary router, which makes me think that it doesnt work like that.

does anyone have an alternative dualband solution to the Asus that will work like that? I mean, I guess any router would, but you never know.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

redeyes posted:

Not sure but sounds like you need to turn off DHCP on the 'AP' regardless of whether or not it says its in AP mode. In this situation you don't use the 'WAN/Internet' port on the AP, use one of the other 4 LAN ports to connect to your network and any of the other ports to bridge whatever to your network.

The setup diagram for my d6400 in AP mode specifies to plug in the primary router to the AP Via the WAN port.

Thinking about the Asus device, I'd have to imagine it acts like a 5 port switch, which I totally blanked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can I get a Ubiquiti AC Lite and connect it to my R7000 as an AP or do I need to get the ubiquiti controller thingo too? their website or manual is not clear.