Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Sano posted:

I've been using my WRT54G for around 6 years now. I've been playing online video games for the PS2/PS3/360 in my basement (2 floors down separated from the router) and used to be a really good host when hosting game rooms. I've also been using it to browse with my laptop and it's worked well with it anywhere within the basement.

But recently I had to renovate my entire basement to fit a Gaming Rig I had built about a week ago. Because of the renovation I had made, my Xbox 360 is now a few steps further away from the router, and it was just enough to cause little to no connection between it and the router. The PC computer was not having much luck connecting to it either.

I asked a friend for a solution and he had suggested a repeater, so I got one of these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124430
Setting it up was easy and I've connected to the router just fine with both the Xbox and Computer thanks to it.

Is there any kind of solution anyone here can recommend? Was this repeater a waste of money?

I'm not sure if it's a DD-WRT issue, or what, but I've had issues with using DD-WRT as a repeater. I know it's not the same thing exactly, but my solution may help you or others.

Using RouterA with DD-WRT wireless, I have fast speeds. Using RouterB as a repeater hooked to A, wireless is very slow connecting through RouterB. If I connect a wire to RouterB to a computer, then wirelessly connected to RouterA, it's fast. It seems just extending the wireless connection is where the problem is.

If I remember correctly, I was getting around 1mbps or less on a 25mbps connection when it was running slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Sano posted:

do bigger antenna attachments actually work? Seems cheaper then buying a whole new router.

how do I know which antenna to get?

I had good luck with this sort of big D-Link antenna. It was a square and measured between 12 and 16 inches. I got around 800 feet out of it when I was staying in a beach condo without internet. That's going over one building and lots of trees.

That's also boosting the power output to around 95mW.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

ryanbruce posted:

Get it from Amazon.com for $77.99 + $3.99 for overnight shipping to get it Saturday (if you order in the next 15hrs)

Do they offer Saturday delivery? I've only once seen it. Ordered something immediately, then get an email saying it would be Monday. Called their support line and I was told they don't do it. If it's that specific location, or I just got bad phone rep I don't know.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I toss the probably lovely router and get a better one? And then I use a repeater/bridge thing, somehow, to enhance the signal to reach the room where my PC is housed and maybe please hopefully get good speeds?

I am literally a clown. Please help.

Also, check this poo poo out:

This is from my Macbook Pro which is sitting pretty much right where my PC tower will end up sitting. Dear lord help me.

The ping at the moment is excellent.
I've had bad experiences with setting up repeaters speed/quality wise, so if at all possible go wired; if not, I'd go with a High Power router. I think if you went with one in the 5 GHz range you'll have less congestion as well.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

As was discussed earlier, 5 GHz doesn't penetrate walls as well as 2.4 GHz. Maybe just a really good 2.4 GHz if you can't find a way to run Cat 6 cable through / around this 'wall mass'

Oops, true. I was a little groggy when I said that.

And now for something that has been bugging me.

I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N running
Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (05/25/11) std (latest on the Buffalo website as of about 2 days ago), and it is having some trouble occasionally.

At times, it'll forget a computer name on the network. I can still access it via the IP address for the shared folder. A reboot usually fixes this.
As far as I've notice, the IP of computer #2 hasn't changed, Computer 1 has a static IP set in the router .

Maybe/maybe not related: I have an HP Printer and WiFi thermostat that would occasionally lose connection, and both would have to go through their setups all over again, never reconnecting otherwise. Since I did a factory default on the router, this part has stopped for now, though the network name problem persists.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Arrath posted:

I'm trying to help my friends setup their new comcast service, but we're running into a big problem. We want to use a router with this thing, so we can have multiple ethernet ports and a wifi network. So I want to change the Ubee brand modem into bridge mode, which people have done, judging by posts I've found. The problem is that I can't find a way to do that.

I'm on the modem's page in IE right now, I can login with the default info.

Now here is a picture of the Ubee's page, shown the screen after logging in. Taken from the manual here.

Notice the navigation bar across the top, brimming with options.

This is the screen I'm getting:

A single navigation option, which leads to the page of sub-menu links that I'm on now.

I've gone to this page in Chrome and IE, and I've looked through the page's source. I can't find links to actual setup screens at all. I've factory reset the modem to see if there is some kind of 'first run' page (like when you connect to the network of a hotel) that I couldn't access otherwise. I've searched around and haven't found anyone talking about this. I'm out of ideas here, how can I configure this drat thing?

I think to access the extra settings on my Ubee modem I have to log in with this:
(Username): admin
(Password): cableroot

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something.

I have a Belkin Share Max N300 (F7D3301/F7D7301) v1 running Tomato 1.28 (Toastman VPN USB) or something along those lines so I can hook my NTFS HDD to it;

I've got a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N running V24-SP2 build 18289 of DDWRT.

I'd like to join them together (wirelessly) to extend my network outside my house. I tried WDS, but had no luck. I also did a site survey on the DDWRT router, and joined the network from the Belkin, set the right key, and had no luck. Is there anything else I can try?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

If you want to do this, you'll need to set up WDS. It's a pain in the rear end, and it absolutely kills bandwidth (I hope you weren't hoping to stream any files over that connection) but it should work. Make sure you set both routers to WDS mode, duplicate the wireless setup exactly (same SSID, same channel manually set, same exact security) and give them each other's MAC addresses.

Thanks, I believe it was only the channel I was missing! Luckily, it'll only be for web browsing outside the house.

Would there be an easy way to assign different IP addresses for the DDWRT device? Would a virtual wireless network (second SSID) work when I have WDS setup right?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

uapyro posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something.

I have a Belkin Share Max N300 (F7D3301/F7D7301) v1 running Tomato 1.28 (Toastman VPN USB) or something along those lines so I can hook my NTFS HDD to it;

I've got a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N running V24-SP2 build 18289 of DDWRT.

I'd like to join them together (wirelessly) to extend my network outside my house. I tried WDS, but had no luck. I also did a site survey on the DDWRT router, and joined the network from the Belkin, set the right key, and had no luck. Is there anything else I can try?

I got this working in client mode finally. Is it possible to throttle any MAC address I don't have in a list?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

OldPueblo posted:

It's been awhile, but it sounds like she wants to be able to do multiple RDP sessions without locking the console, having two people logged into separate sessions at once. I'm not sure that's possible on 7 Pro.

There is a way with this:
http://www.missingremote.com/guide/how-enable-concurrent-sessions-windows-7-service-pack-1-rtm

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Does anyone have any recommendations for something like the TI-WR702N portable router? That one can be either powered by USB, or an adapter plugged in the wall; I'd think my portable battery that I use for my phone would work for it.

It'd be even better if it were battery powered like a MiFi.

Basically what I am looking for one for is to be a repeater for my TF201 tablet; that has horrible WiFi reception.

So battery powered is a plus, as well as small. And doesn't require much power if it's not battery powered.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Is there any opinion on either of these two routers, running DDWRT?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-704-136&ParentOnly=1&IsVirtualParent=1

I've got a Belkin N300 at the moment, was running Tomato but seemed to freeze up/crash if I transferred a lot of files through the wired gigabit ports. I put DDWRT on it instead, and it likes to instead stop responding on the IP address to access the router, and occasionally just quit loading some websites instead.

I'm aiming for TL-WDR3600 at the moment unless the other one is a lot better.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Dalrain posted:

Hi, I'm looking for "the best" VPN service that I can have DD-WRT autoconnect to. It can be in the US, I don't do anything illegal, just looking for privacy and speed/reliability.

I can clarify further if needed, but that's a start. Google has revealed many providers, but I have no idea who would be trustworthy.

I think I saw hostvpn.com in the SAMart; so far I've been very satisfied with them.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Tapedump posted:

Yes, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 for Desktop all day long. Unless you have a pressing need for 3x3 MIMO. (You don't.)

As stated, you'll probably find the 2.4 GHz band your best bet depending on range/interference, but even then the Adv-N 6205 will poo poo all over Dell's card.

I just picked up the 6235 for my laptop since the included Atheros 9485 would crap on itself every time I tried to transfer more than a gigabyte or two wirelessly. So far I'm loving it. Even better that it has bluetooth 4.0 built in so I could get rid of the Asus mini bluetooth dongle that liked to quit working randomly.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I have to ask. Are the 30/30/30 resets that DDWRT constantly asks for in its Wiki really necessary? I swear to God it sometimes feels like out of 60 minutes I spend configuring a router, 30 of those are spent holding the reset button.

I think switching from the stock software it is, but from DDWRT > DDWRT or Tomato > Tomato it should be fine. I'd assume that's thrown in there like most Android ROM people mention wiping everything just in case there is some problem not related to them before they go posting about it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Stupid Decisions posted:

I have been using Private Internet Access for a while and have no complaints. Works as advertised.

I use this one too, though I did have HostVPN before PIA. I needed a server from a specific country, so PIA was perfect for me.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

EconOutlines posted:

Silly networking question but I've never worked with it before. Can you network a WiFi connection like a hardwired one? For example, I have a Comcast modem-->Router-->NAS/HTPC/etc currently. The new building I'm moving into has about 10mbps Wifi down for free, even in your apartment, so slower speeds for a $70/month savings. I could care less about internet speeds, just so that I can keep my Router-->NAS/HTPC hardwired with ethernet when I watch movies or TV. Can I pull the Wifi and distribute it/keep my same network setup as before?

Yeah, I did something similar, though with only one device. I'd imagine with a switch or router in switch mode that'd be possible. Here's what I used.

If you have DDWRT on the router, I think it's called client bridge mode. If not someone will correct me.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Brett824 posted:

Are there any glaring flaws with the Asus RT-N66U default firmware that necessitate putting Tomato on it? I'd rather avoid messing around with it, but if there's a legitimate performance or quality of life advantage I'd definitely want to take advantage of it.

Kind of, but not really. There's Merlin's version, which is based off of the official releases and is supposed to be cross compatible between jumping between official and Merlin's. He basically adds in just a few tweaks to perfect it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
So I'm having two things with Asus router, one annoying and the other infuriating.

I have an Asus N66W, and the milder issue is syncing with an FTP server fails. I currently enter all the details and when I click apply it has a blank popup and doesn't do anything. Going to the log screen and it's completely blank like I didn't try anything at all. This is with Chrome and IE. Merlin Firmware is up to date whenever I try. I've tried stock firmware that was up to date as well. And I've tried using it immediately after factory reset.

And now the one that almost made me throw my cable modem out the window last night was whenever I unplugged the ethernet cable to the cable modem to the router, flash a firmware, or sometime even update settings on the router I have to run the Quick Internet Setup where you have to you unplug the cable modem power for at least two full minutes before it'll get a WAN IP.
I just assumed that it was the cable modem, but found out otherwise last night when I plugged an Asus AC66 (Sprint branded router with gimped firmware) and I didn't even have to do unplugging of the cable modem when I switched.

I would use the AC66 as the primary router but Sprint has the firmware locked down to theirs only and features I need are disabled. Even doing the stock firmware from recovery mode doesn't work.

The first issue I can deal with but would prefer a fix, but the second one with the N66 not getting a wan ip without unplugging it a ton I really need an answer for my sanity. Anyone got any ideas?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

lovely Treat posted:

Did you do a router reset once you flashed the merlin firmware? I use Shibby's Tomato build on my RTN66W and it runs smoothly connected to my fibre modem.

Have you configured the N66W to use the same settings as what is in the AC66

For good measure I did a factory reset both before and after a firmware flash.

And it's the same results with freshly wiped firmware. I've never set the SP-AC2015 (I think that's what their rebranded AC66 model is called.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

lovely Treat posted:

What cable modem do you have?

Cisco 3208

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

lovely Treat posted:

If its all connected and configured correctly I'm not sure whats causing the issues getting a wan ip.
The only problem I came across with a quick look on Google for that router and the Merlin firmware was people on charter cable having issues if the DHCP query frequency was set to aggressive on the wan page, setting it to normal seemed to fix their issues.

I do have Charter.

I will check on the DHCP query, but shouldn't it be at a good rate when it was at the defaults?
Thanks for the help thus far!

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

lovely Treat posted:

Apparently the option to select between aggressive or normal DHCP query's was put into the Asus and Merlin firmwares because of the issue with Charter.
Worth a shot

It was set to aggressive by default. I'm not home to see if it made a difference, but I saved the setting remotely. I'm also curious what the AC66 is set to as well

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Rakthar posted:

Your friends may be misinformed? The Asus stock firmware is absolutely fine and works well. There's a tweaked version called Merlin's which is basically just Stock with a few extra features. Or you can run Tomato / DD-WRT if you want something completely different.

You can also check on smallnetbuilder for detailed reviews of the various Asus / Netgear units.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

I posted about 2 pages back about the N66 losing the WAN IP whenever the power blinks, router reboots, firmware update, or even applies some changes. Once that happens I have to do the power unplug on cable modem for 2+ minutes before it'll get a new one. I did the change of DHCP frequency query to normal since Charter has issues with that apparently. In the past 3 days I've had to power cycle the modem twice to get it.

Anyone have any ideas before I cash the extended warranty on it in?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Went ahead and got the AC87U since it was $180 at TigerDirect.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7863451-1-d...&src=SiteSearch

AC87U new is $199, refurb is $180
AC68U new is $149, refurb is $135

If you use this, it'll knock 10% off; if you have Bank of America it'll knock another 10% off.
http://slickdeals.net/f/7787393-tigerdirect-offer-save-10-on-your-next-order-free-shipping-for-the-next-6-months-new-customers-back-again

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

stuxracer posted:

Just resetting the device. A lot of the time people refuse to unplug power outlets so having them unscrew the coax is a good way to reset it so the customer says "I reset my modem, no really" when they didn't do poo poo.
OR You have a improper grounding for your cable/electrical work in your house. You might have an outlet that the ground is disconnected or the ground on the outside of your house might be broken. Have an electrician check it ---

Source: I was not a Virgin field tech, but I was a field tech in the US. We would tell customers about the grounding issue though - it is really easy to demonstrate because often touching it to the palm of your hand will give you a slight shock after it built up like that. We were also not licensed electricians so we couldn't actually "fix" anything. People hated us for their houses lovely wiring all the time :(

I didn't do the tapping thing the person you replied to mentioned, but I have really noticed a difference in unplugging the coax. Before I've had problems restarting the modem, or even completely unplugging the power didn't fix. But as soon as I undid the coax the same length of time as previous attempts, it solved my problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
My router is giving me some weird stuff.
I have the Asus AC87U; trying to do the remote FTP stuff with the ASUS dynamic DNS. As of today it's the latest Merlin firmware. I even went as far and changed to a new subdomain name (username), and it's still not resolving to my IP in CuteFTP or Filezilla. I put in the name, and when I hit connect it tries to resolve 185.53.177.6 instead of my ISP IP. I went to the tool Asus has to do a reverse IP from their DDNS, and it gives me my correct IP. Is there something I'm missing in that it should try to resolve my IP normally, without having to go reverse lookup every time it changes?

Additionally, I'm still trying to use the AICloud --> SmartSync using FTP. I thought they had fixed it since it didn't work in the past, and it was removed for a few versions in both the ASUS stock firmware, and in Merlin's as well. Before when I had all the info put in, I'd hit apply and just get a popup that was blank. Then nothing would be in the log file about errors or success.

Now I can successfully add a FTP server to sync to, but now it'll just say "Finished"; and when I go to the log it's still blank. Checking the folder I selected it's also blank, so it's still not doing anything. It's just doing more nothing than before.