Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
I have two computers running Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate in a homegroup, connected via a 100mbit switch which is in turn connected to an ADSL modem/router from which they share an internet connection. Call the computers One and Two.

I have a problem where transfer speeds from One to Two over the network are terrible (~100kB/s), but transfers from Two to One are fine. I can put files into One's shared libraries from Two no problem, and take files from Two using One. But trying to put anything into any of Two's shares from One, or taking anything from One is murder. Slow as poo poo, and crashes explorer more often than not.

This is not a network hardware problem, and I'm pretty sure it's not a driver problem. I'm expecting it to be a weird settings/permissions things of some kind. Both are running Microsoft Security Essentials, and have Windows Firewall turned off. As far as I can tell, sharing settings are the same on both. What could be causing this?

I'm also having a smaller problem where I can't access a second internal hard-drive on Two from One. It shows up as a share, but says I don't have permission to access it. I can access all of Two's other shares just fine, but it won't let me browse this other drive, and I don't know how to make it.

I hate this loving crap so much. I had an easier time getting poo poo like this to work in Windows 2000. In 2011, in two PCs running near-identical hardware, with the same OS, these things should just goddamn work.

Thanks for any advice.

edit: It was a hardware problem. My P.O.S cheapo switch is dying. I didn't think it could be that at first, because internet speeds are fine, but it's One's uploads it seems to having a hard time with :downs:. Everything works at expected speed over wireless, or if I hard-wire One to the router, bypassing the switch. Thanks anyway :).

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU