Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Thanks for starting a new thread!

Devian666 posted:

To start, if you want
Sub $50:
Linksys WRT400n
Atheros chipset 680mhz processor, 32mb, 8mb flash. Simultaneous dual band (2.4/5ghz), meaning you can support a network in each of the bands at the same time.
Linksys E1000
Broadcom 300MHz processor, 32mb, 4mb flash.

This seems to still be out of date, unfortunately. The first link is out-of-stock with no expected restocking date, and the second is $80, not sub $50.

I'm looking to get a wireless bridge going between the wireless router we have in our apt. common room and the desktops I have in my bedroom. The current router is an WRT54Gv6 (yeah, I know what you're thinking) flashed with DD-WRT micro - I'm thinking of getting a nicer 802.11n capable router and demoting the WRT54G to bridge status. Since the product list seems a little out of date, does anyone have recommendations for a b/g/n router that will support an apartment of 5 (~10-12 wifi capable devices, no torrenters)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Devian666 posted:

There were bound to be a few price issues as I drafted this a few weeks ago. Which means prices and stock were a bit different. I'll fix this when I get home.

Next up on the price list is the Netgear WNR 3500L. That gives gigabit ports, 2.4 GHz wireless N. According to http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar the throughput is limited to 255 mbit/s. This throughput rate may or may not be an issue depending on the use of your devices.

To get faster throughput it generally takes more money. If cost is an issue you could try the sub $50 routers second hand.

Maybe I was slightly premature with the previous post, it looks like the E1000 is available on Amazon for around $50 new, and less than that if you want a "new refurbished" model, whatever that means. You'll probably want to update your links, but that might be it.

Thanks for the advice though. My roommates aren't too intensive on the network so these cheaper routers will hopefully do the trick.