Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I bought one of those insanely cheap 4x2.5 and 2xSFP+ 10G switches on Amazon for $48 and have been pleasantly surprised by it so far. No stability issues, speeds seem in the realm of reason for both the RJ45 and SFP+ cages. It's the same box as the Vimin in the STH cheap 2.5GbE switch video but mine is branded with the illustrious and well known brand of, uh, "ineRon".

You better believe I am taking advantage of these features:

Been nice pushing files to the NAS at greater than gigabit speeds, although I'll be honest, I mostly got it so that the integrated 2.5G NICs in all of my boxes stopped going to WASTE. It seems to work fine with both Realtek and Intel NICs, and the generic SFP+ optics I had around. Haven't tried a DAC cable yet, there apparently might be an issue with them. The most annoying part of the box is they felt the need to put an insanely bright blinking green activity LED in the middle of the PCB, so I had to take it apart and just to put a tiny piece of electrical tape over it, lol.

Ok, cya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdLWAwxU0ds

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GL-iNet has a new home router that seems like a pretty good deal:

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt6000/#pre-order

$109 with two 2.5G + four 1G RJ45 ports, Wifi 6, and 900Mbps speeds when working as a WireGuard server, plus all the usual Gl-inet stuff (OpenWrt pre installed, pre installed AdGuard Home client, etc)

I've used the Flint 1 as my home router for a while and I really like it, and ive got a Slate AX and Shadow travel routers that have been extremely helpful over the years on the road. I prolly wont upgrade to this yet, but if you are in the market for a good+cheap home router and aren't ready/willing to go full grey beard with a build-your-own solution, it seems like a good option.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ive been running the GLinet Flint with built in AdGuard Home, using the Cloudflare DNS listings. Really like the combo of still getting Cloudflare DNS speed, adblocking with no monthly fee, and being able to do it on a home router with home router power draw and not rolling my own OPNSense. I assume I'll eventually end up doing an OPNSense box but I do think GLinet has a good little niche going.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A travel router running a Wireguard connection to your own Wireguard server on your network back home, and your work laptop connected via an RJ45 connection with its WiFi disabled. I did that exact thing while working from Europe for a month, and I’ve used it for shorter trips within the states lots of times.

Ive name dropped them a ton already in this thread, but I use a GLinet Flint at home for the Wireguard server and a GLinet Slate AX as the travel router. Works like a charm, and they even have a cloud system so you can adjust the Wireguard server settings remotely.

Actually was 2 of us working while traveling that way while in Europe and our only speed issues were on the European ISP side, not the Wireguard connection. Both of us work for large entities with aggressive IT departments, neither of us had any hits.

Obviously ymmv, no liability, etc etc.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fhqwhgads posted:

I can definitely look up those gl-inet routers and Wireguard. That could be a way to make it work. Do I need to leave an actual computer at my home base though as the server, or can I hook up a router to my home base router and just use that as the server with port forwarding? On the remote side, if there's already a router there, could I still wire the travel router to the already-in-place router and still run this kind of connection? Or do the travel router / server router have to be the only ones in this chain?

The travel router can "tether" to another network at your destination via either an ethernet cable OR wifi. Since its after the Wireguard tunnel is formed, the Wifi hop isnt at risk of leaking much data afaik. But I generally used the cable when I could, and mostly use the wifi tethering for hotels. This is also a great way to get around lovely hotels that limit you to 1 device at a time too.

So my chain is:

Work laptop with its own work VPN software ->
RJ45 connection to Travel Router (Slate AX) running Wireguard tunnel ->
Wifi or RJ45 tether to local internet service ->
((WORLD WIDE INFORMATION WEB))->
Home ONT ->
Home router (Flint) running Wireguard server ->
Outbound connections to Work VPN server that thinks im still at home.

You don't have to use a GLinet router to run the Wireguard server at home if you are comfortable having something else run it like a spare PC or home server, but I went with it for ease of setup and I recommend it. I ended up just using the Flint as my overall home router because its really good, so it worked out. You also dont have to spring for their expensive products, their tiny Shadow routers are like $15 (but wireguard speeds are gonna be low).

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 13, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GLinet makes its super easy to set up the Wireguard server/client, they've got videos and guides on their site. Its built in to their products/GUI, which is part of the reason I went with em. Youll have a little research to do, but its not bad at all honestly.

No need to setup any port forwards on the travel router side from my experience, but you may need to on the home/server side depending on how you run it. I didn't end up having to do it with the Flint as my primary router. With that sort of setup, the "tunnel" is ending right at the same place my work laptop was regularly connecting from anyway, so it was all transparent with my regular port settings.

e: should note that im not a turbo-expert on networking, so there might be an easier/cheaper way to do this that im not aware of and I'll defer to anyone smarter! This is just what i did that worked for me.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 13, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah, please dont do this stuff if you are worried about your SSBI or Yankee White or something for gods sake. this is for phony email jobs only!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That Works posted:

You would have to port forward on the home router for that wireguard tunnel to function right?

Any guidance as to risk management on that from you and/or rest of thread?

e: I use a slate AX as a travel router, bought it because I saw advertised tailscale compatibility but I was never able to get it to actually connect to my home tailscale exit node and function properly. Reading on the glinet forums this seems a common problem, bit annoyed they advertise its function for that and it doesn't consistently work. I went over it either ITT or maybe the home hosting thread a while back.

I use a GLinet router on both ends for the Wireguard tunnel and it Just Works and I didn't manually open any ports on either end. I've never tried the Tailscale stuff personally.

Honestly for risk avoidance, if you are worried about it and feeling risky, you shouldn't do it! Don't lose your job for a vacation.

Other than that, making sure your wifi is disabled on the work laptop (maybe even physically) is important to not leaking your location, and having a way to remotely interact with your home stuff if needed is crucial. I used the GLinet cloud app to interface with the home router and it worked well, but I've also seen people use piKVM or spiders on their home server.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

codo27 posted:

I have it installed on my Shield as well, I was hoping to be able to use the Roku app as thats my TV's native platform. I found SmartTube to be a little wonky on the Shield though, but I haven't used it extensively.

SmartTube since the projects merged/rename a while back has been really stable for me. It is very good and i love it and want to kiss it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

bobua posted:

Man this thread is always packed with people stressing about getting more than a gigabit. What are you guys doing? I download a steam game once a year and am impressed something actually uses the dinky fiber package I got.

Besides that the 300 alexas and smart tvs and security cameras and phones and tablets and iot bs never touch it.

its nice to watch the game install or work file or linux iso go fast

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the split at my address is

$40 for 500/500
$60 for 1g/1g
$100 for 2g/2g
$154 for 5g/5g

feels almost apple-esque in how quickly the pricing split got me to skip over the low end and go straight for the up charge, those marketing bastards

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUSTGLL51m0

love a physical slider to turn my switch into DUMB MODE

its a realtek RTL8372 like most of the new cheap 2.5/10 switches

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 27, 2024

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I got some expensive eerosisis. Eerosi. Eerosits. …with my fiber signup, but loaned them to a friend because trusting Amazon seems like a bad idea, however irrational that is.

I do like my Glinet Flint for its “it’s just a regular router+ap combo but you can also do one click AdGuard and it’s openwrt based/compatible” aspect, but I heard they are going closed source in the future.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KS posted:

They explicitly state in two places they do not track user activity.

But they explicitly do collect MAC addresses, IPs, network data, hostnames, headers, wifi mapping vs other networks etc.

Imo this is similar to the Google scheme where they don't have to collect all your data with any one product, because its laughably easy to correlate it all together on the back end. Its trivial for them to identify you with your data, even if the router itself doesn't track that... cause everything else on the internet does.

And maybe im :tinfoil:, but my opinion is that they should pay me cash money (not just a discount on the router) if they are gonna farm me for data. But everyone is gonna have their own privacy per dollar valuation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

M_Gargantua posted:

For another power consumption info all i've got right now is limited to only what i've got plugged into it at the moment:

150W covers, including the PoE loads powered through it:

The ONT
UXG-Pro
USW-Pro-24-PoE
US-8-60W
USW-Aggregation
USW-Flex
2x USW-Flex-Mini's
2x U6-Enterprise
3x UAP-AC-Pros
1x UAP-AC-Lite
UNVR
3x G5-Bullets
a NAS
an Arris NVG443B (relegated solely to a VLAN doing VOIP duty only.)
and a pihole

No 10GBase-T sucking up power, its all either DAC or OM3

So that Cisco switch looks like butt in comparison.

is the home you are networking a Holiday Inn