Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Swung by work today and grabbed three more fans for the 3850 from another one going on the recycling pile. With the second, unused power supply and extra fans, i reckon this switch will probably be good for another ten years. Unless something drastically changes with my needs and technology, 1gbit is plenty for internal LAN for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

skipdogg posted:

How much power is that 3850 using? I avoid running gear like that at home because old enterprise gear is notoriously power hungry.

Base power load is 87W, then with four access points and one camera plugged in, that adds up to 126W minimum. The other cameras are powered off the upstairs switch.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Binary Badger posted:

802.11ac ought to be enough for anybody

Unironically yes at least for me. However all I have on Wi-Fi are laptops/tablets/phones which don’t exactly have significant bandwidth requirements. Lol if you transfer any file larger than a gig or two over Wi-Fi.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pretty happy with my er-x, but I currently have simple needs and don’t get all the way to 1gbit for the performance to matter.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
And if you’re gonna run one, run two. Don’t want to have a fiber break and be down, garage internet is serious production business.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Wireguard is your best bet, it’s super easy to set up. I have enough knowledge to make a real vpn happen and I didn’t want to bother with all that bullshit just so I can get on my camera system.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Not worth it, just buy them in the proper lengths.

If you’re terminating a couple of ends for a camera to shove back up into a soffit or whatever, your local hardware store will have what you need. You don’t need a nice crimper for home stuff.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
….at 100mbps reading the spec sheet, which kind of makes them effectively useless for a Wi-Fi 5+ AP.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Did the stupid script song and dance with xfinity on Friday, the max I can get is ~275mbps down. I was somewhat surprised it only took 22 minutes to get a proper case created for escalation.

Not gonna hold my breath, I suspect my node is heavily oversubscribed. It sure as poo poo isn’t my home network or wiring, exact same result with the modem plugged directly into their distribution amp.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
And depending on the setup, not all that bad. Drop ceiling in the basement, so for all of the basement + first floor runs I installed j-hooks, makes pulling additional runs a lot easier.

The real pain in the rear end run was doing the 4x cat6 and 2x om3 to the second floor idf in the laundry room. Punch into the garage, over to the corner, up the corner to the ceiling, along the wall until I could take it up into attic space, then shoot it up along the gap between the ceiling of my daughters room and the roof underlayment. Looks nice with the raceway I put in at least.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Tailscale is what you need and is free for personal use. Super easy to set up. Not so sure about the bandwidth limitations if you are looking to stream plex, though.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If $10/mo is too much then why would you spend $300+ on a nas and have to do more work? Not paying for iCloud is really short sighted for lots of reasons.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Eletriarnation posted:

Another AP for a different floor sounds like a perfectly reasonable suggestion and not overkill.

This is the way, one per floor isn’t overkill at all.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
No such thing as overkill, the patio addition gets an AP too for better Wi-Fi in the back yard. Now I need to finish running the drops to and terminate in the upstairs patch panel, which is a huge pain in the rear end since it’s inside a cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Depending on your house construction and willingness/ability to diy you can save a ton of money doing it yourself.