Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
If you're not getting enough out of class crit, go to your teacher after class and sit down and work one-on-one with them. They'll probably be happy to do so, and you'll get more out of it. Even if you're lukewarm about your teacher's work, there's something they're probably doing better than you that you can learn from. Don't sit there annoyed at the class direction, take that bull by the horns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

MixMasterGriff posted:

Work-in-progress, a reproduction of a Goya piece in pencil.

<--- The original.

Any thoughts?

Looks like you haven't blocked in the whole picture yet. I would really recommend holding off on the shading of the figure until you've got all the elements, owls cat and desk, on the page. When you start with one section you'll more than likely make it the wrong size and squish everything else. Did you run into the edge of the page on the right already?

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Kismet posted:

Finally - really dumb and obvious, but just in case - make sure you're using the correct paper. Nobody told me this when I started out with watercolour, and I assumed a heavy cartridge paper would do. Not so.
Yes, definitely. 140 lb and up cold press paper is best, the higher the lb the thicker the paper. I'd also suggest buying watercolor paper on a block. It's a bit more expensive than regular packs of paper, but it's a ready to go hard surface for painting wherever, and it won't warp when you soak it. Nothing like horribly crinkled paper to make you feel bad about a piece. :smith:

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

One of the tricks I used to get some kids going on their comic projects was to think of a thing that they really liked and wanted to have in it. Like, if you want to draw cars, have a car show or a race be a big moment in a story. Then you just need to figure out how the story ended up at a car show, what happens there, and what comes after. Bob goes to the carshow, he sees the best car ever, afterwards he decides he needs to get one himself. . . so on. It's even easier if you start with a moment, like 'I wanna draw someone having a really awkward time at a party.' Even if you want to draw something derivative, how it got there and where it goes doesn't have to be. That's where the write what you know part comes in, forget what other authors have done, write what you think people would do.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, I think Raenir should start drawing the comic now while they have the motivation. And should also try to stop thinking of things as so separate. You don't learn to draw styles, you learn to draw. When you look over the Hogarth anatomy books, the goal isn't to draw those dramatic muscley guys. It's to learn the underlying anatomy and to start thinking of your figures as three-dimensional things.

Also I know it's everywhere, but I'm not convinced that measuring people out in heads is useful. You'll get more mileage by learning the relative measurements of the body.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

I'm gonna say it doesn't matter at this stage, but you can google 'Loomis proportion charts' for more. Keep in mind they're very idealized, so not as good a reference as real people.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Actually. . . I think it's plausible because that hand looks too wrong to have come from either a book or actual observation. So do the rest of them, It looks like Blue is doing way more looking at the drawing than the subject, and if you're doing that putting a pencil down and picking it up again wouldn't seem like such a bad idea. :v:

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Pheeets posted:

It may not have been a book, it may have been something he saw on Imgur:

:v:

Haha I have the same album off imgur open in my tabs right now. Wherever those hands might have come from, it wasn't strong observation.
Blue Star, the nice thing about practicing observational drawing is you don't have to make good art. A lot of it will be stuff that won't impress anyone, but if you've put in the effort you're still getting something out of it.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Suzuki Method posted:

Okay, so I'm supposed to be getting out of it what I thought I should be. Problem is, I've been doing 30 second gesture drawing exercises on and off for a while now but I still can't get anything but rigid figures. It seems like I am just not learning anything from it. :(

Can you post some of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Right away it'll help if you stop throwing them out, if you don't have the drawings to look at you can't tell if you're developing bad patterns or improving. Plus, right after you finish something is the worst time to scrutinize it. You have to keep it around awhile before you can be objective.

• Locked thread