Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010
Chiming in to say this is a really cool and inspiring thread that I intend to follow closely. My day is kind of full-booked today, but it's all about drawing, so I'll see if I can get something going for the assignment. :)

As far as staring at a blank page and not knowing what to draw goes, I can't believe 3CH has not been mentioned yet. It's a brilliant tool to get the creative juices flowing, and I wish I'd use it more. Basically: A sanguinolant robot uproots a transvestite in a crater.

Kismet posted:

That also reminds me I meant to link this article in the OP, which was posted in the daily thread and is really a must-read for everybody here.

Real interesting read, quite the eye-opener. I'll be throwing this link around a bit myself. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Regarding posing, is there any like program out there that has like a 3D model/ragdoll that you can drag around and pose with realisticish muscle movements?

I find that posing dolls this way usually result in very, very stiff-looking poses, and you don't really ever need to put too much detail into muscles as long as they are there. That is, unless that's not the point and I'm talking out of my arse, in which case you could perhaps try a combination of loose/gesture drawing*, posemaniacs.com (which provides both poses and a bit of anatomy), and - for the custom 3d poses - you could always get the free Blender and try to find a good rig that let you control muscles and poses. If you can't find any (I couldn't, but I haven't worked with blender in a long time), there's always the goofy-looking but easy to handle and rather feature-complete Mancandy rig combined with anatomy references of your choice for the more dynamic poses (but for a slightly older version of blender).

I'm having a bit of trouble with my Internet at the moment, so I can't really help you find some super-advanced, free software with accurate-ish muscle simulation, but I'd definitely be interested in it as well.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, in which case I apologize and put the blame on my fever. If it was, good for you.

* I just recently got one of the Force books by Mattesi, opened it, and - just as an exercise - put it away after noting to myself how it all seemed to work, and started imitating it. Strangely enough, working with the flow of the lines/body instead of with a purely mechanical set-up of bones and muscles and skin made my poses that much more believable than anything I had drawn before.

medium charcoal posted:

Does anyone have any tips for drawing clean lines? I can draw proportionally but my line quality is atrocious. I tend to draw over lines again and again so my drawings end up with that "student" look. I've tried consciously limiting my strokes or using pen but I find I need several passes to get the line right.

I can't really tell from here why you're having a hard time with your lines, but I suspect it may have something to do with how self-aware you are about them, if that makes any sense?
How many "micro-goals" do your strokes have? Do you "go from here to there to there to there to there" before you lift your pencil again? This tends to slow down your strokes and make uncertain and awkward lines that you will have to reinforce. Try quick and simple over long and complex; you can always spend several strokes to create a single, complex line. (Just make sure you don't fall into the hairy line trap instead!)
If this is not the problem you're having, and you're just trying to find the best curve between point A and point B, try tracing the line a couple times half a nanometer over the paper (don't mind if it makes a light mark) to get a feel for the curve, and try to envision how it would look if that stroke actually made a line, and when happy with it - continuing the same motion - finally make the line. You should get pretty fast at this after a while.
It may also be as simple as a problem with your posture. Most important of all: Do you have enough wiggle room for your elbow? Gotta use that elbow.

Anyways, don't be afraid of stray lines, helper lines, and know that your lines don't have to be perfect, and especially not the first time.

• Locked thread