Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

WoG posted:

You know about the half-speed / quarter-speed / fine scrubbing, right?

I did not know that! Unfortunately it doesn't work in third-party apps like WFMU or This American Life (which is where you really need it because they don't save your place like the itunes player does), but that should come in handy. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

WoG posted:

The gems and albums pretty well cover the wurster characters / newbridgeverse, but anyone have any other recommendations for amazing past eps? (Aside from PFT/juggalo and the four loko party, that is, which were both gold)

I don't know the exact date, but I love the one where Tom and the callers write a song for Ted Leo to play at the end of the show.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't know the exact date, but I love the one where Tom and the callers write a song for Ted Leo to play at the end of the show.
This one? http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/06/ted-leo-and-the.html

edit: looks like the links on that page don't work but you should be able to find the show in the archives I think?

edit 2: Also, the Wurster call from 2010/7/6 was hilarious, that was the character who writes songs of the form "<X> Sucks", I don't think that's in the gems yet

het fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 25, 2011

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Looks like Todd Barry is gonna be on tonight, per Tom's Twitter feed.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Does that mean he's in studio?

het posted:

This one? http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/06/ted-leo-and-the.html

edit: looks like the links on that page don't work but you should be able to find the show in the archives I think?

Yeah that's it. Just ctrl-f for June 3rd, 2008 in the archive.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

WoG posted:

The gems and albums pretty well cover the wurster characters / newbridgeverse, but anyone have any other recommendations for amazing past eps? (Aside from PFT/juggalo and the four loko party, that is, which were both gold)

The June 15, 2010 episode is one of my favorites. PFT in studio, Wally Wackiman and H-Man in studio, great Milo call, and Tom starts singing the riff from "Old Time Rock and Roll" to Spike for no reason.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of the archives, does anyone know of a way to download the old episodes? For some reason everything older than 2 years is a RealMedia file. I tried doing some research about how to convert them but didn't find anything. I did find a torrent but there haven't been any seeders since I've found it.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

TransatlanticFoe posted:

The June 15, 2010 episode is one of my favorites. PFT in studio, Wally Wackiman and H-Man in studio, great Milo call, and Tom starts singing the riff from "Old Time Rock and Roll" to Spike for no reason.

^That is a good one.

Speaking of Wally, one of my favorites is the Jan 19, 2010 show, which is the showdown between Wally and H-Man to decide who's the real protege. H-Man is in the dog house because he missed a listener meet up. Wally steps up and really drives the show, but ends up interviewing the Z-Man (his handler), and really freaks everyone out. Much puppet discussion. For me it's really the apex of Wally appearances.

Narwhale posted:

Speaking of the archives, does anyone know of a way to download the old episodes? For some reason everything older than 2 years is a RealMedia file. I tried doing some research about how to convert them but didn't find anything. I did find a torrent but there haven't been any seeders since I've found it.

I ended up biting the bullet and downloading RealPlayer on my pc so I could listen to them :(. If anyone has any better solution I'd love to know.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I wonder what happened to Milo. He has kinda disappeared.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

I wonder what happened to Milo. He has kinda disappeared.

I think his dad got mad at Tom on facebook and the FOT board for some reason. I'm not sure whether it was Tom or him who got Mylo to stop calling. He did make a brief reappearance as a couple of characters after he had stopped calling every week. I really like the way Tom interacts with kids and wish that more would call the show. Their conversation styles usually mesh and kids don't have an agenda like some of the regular callers.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Front loaded and short Jon Wurster, oh well.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

Front loaded and short Jon Wurster, oh well.

I hope he comes back. Tom seems in a pretty good mood tonight.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Ban resolution details have been released on Twitter.

Tom posted:

Here is my proposal to resolve the ban. No more than two regular callers are allowed to call per week. The individual cannot call in concurrent weeks.

As for the fate of The Puppet, here is what I propose. This might seem radical, but I think it will fix the Larger Problems. Larger Problem #1: Wally is no longer a fun-loving puppet. He is a felt handgun ready to go off at any time. Larger Problem #2: There needs to be a distance between Wally and his owner. Therefore I propose that I gain temporary - but COMPLETE - control over Wally for one month. I will be his sole operator. And I will NOT do anything that is untoward with Wally. I will rehabilitate his image, restoring him to the Puppet we all fell in love with. I would request that Wally's operator create a NEW puppet to channel all of his neuroses into. This puppet will be an ADULT THEMED PUPPET a la Larry David or a Woody Allen, from which neuroses will be acceptable and even entertaining. When I determine that Wally is fully rehabbed and his owner is ready to maintain PROPER control of his fun-loving self, he will be returned.

I understand this plan requires a fair amount of trust re: the Puppet and his owner. But I swear I will do right by him. Now all we await is an answer from The Puppet. All of this is theoretical until he says yes or no. And it is HIS choice. So let him make it. And I put forth this decision with nothing but love and respect for both The Puppet and the Puppet's operator. And as a bonus I will follow the Puppet on Twitter if he agrees to these terms. And I will give the Puppet's operator a TEN DOLLAR GIFT CARD from PANERA BREAD if he agrees to this proposal. I don't want people getting their hopes up. It is not up to me. Although I will proceed with Willy Wackoman if this proposal is rejected.

Tom controlling Wally will be amazing.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I think I might enjoy Willy Wackoman more than Tom controlling Wally.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Tom directed a trailer for John Hodgman's new book. It's very funny.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4cc168ca62/that-is-all

He's a very good director.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Tom directed a trailer for John Hodgman's new book. It's very funny.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4cc168ca62/that-is-all

He's a very good director.

Wow, what the gently caress? That is really strange and funny. I like how they got Paul Rudd and Nas to just sit there silently.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Narwhale posted:

Ban resolution details have been released on Twitter.

Tom controlling Wally will be amazing.

Sadly, Wally has refused.

Skeevy is now the official Best Show Puppet.

Farewell, Wally.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

Sadly, Wally has refused.

Skeevy is now the official Best Show Puppet.

Farewell, Wally.

Good. gently caress the puppet.

I like Tom's compromise for the rest of the banned callers, though. I'd say the show is by and large better without them, but I do miss a couple of them from time to time.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DangerDummy! posted:

Good. gently caress the puppet.

I like Tom's compromise for the rest of the banned callers, though. I'd say the show is by and large better without them, but I do miss a couple of them from time to time.

Yeah, the thing with the banned callers was they had gotten all kinds of circle jerky and not all that funny, but, at the same time, there was a reason they became regulars in the first place, which is that at some point, they were (mostly) great callers.

The compromise should be a good way to remind them to call judiciously.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, the thing with the banned callers was they had gotten all kinds of circle jerky and not all that funny, but, at the same time, there was a reason they became regulars in the first place, which is that at some point, they were (mostly) great callers.

Yeah and the really great ones were not actually banned anyway. Or the ones that Tom can make entertaining despite themselves like Michael K.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Absolutely. I cant believe no one misses Spike and his terrible Mad-Magazine names.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

Absolutely. I cant believe no one misses Spike and his terrible Mad-Magazine names.

I agree. Nothing has ever beat Baked Ziti Jones

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Has anybody figured out a way to get the mp3's off the archives from before six weeks ago or whatever the cutoff is? I'd like to listen to the June 15, 2010 episode mentioned above but I can't sit at my computer for three hours to do it. I would hope that this isn't illegal since it's not a for-profit radio station.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Spike's back! Anyone think he's going to show up?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

I sure hope so. That would be quite an evening.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I'll believe when I hear it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

I'll believe when I hear it.
Yeah I think he'll cop out.

Also I'm dying at this Window Monster bit

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Skeevy's kind of rough. I'd like it if the OP (original puppet) got up the felt to call in and go to war with him.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

Skeevy's kind of rough. I'd like it if the OP (original puppet) got up the felt to call in and go to war with him.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe this war is the way for Wally to reassess his true character.

Mast
Dec 1, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

There is no way he shows up.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

HaterBaby posted:

Has anybody figured out a way to get the mp3's off the archives from before six weeks ago or whatever the cutoff is? I'd like to listen to the June 15, 2010 episode mentioned above but I can't sit at my computer for three hours to do it. I would hope that this isn't illegal since it's not a for-profit radio station.
The podcasts go back at least a year and are mp3 format.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
The WFMU bible http://buffcoat.blogspot.com/ < Put this in the OP

That page has every Wurster call logged with a timestamp (a few are slightly innacurate, but overall it's amazing).
Also whoever hated on the wurster calls you are nuts. It's the most amazing freeform comedy I've ever heard.

Anyone who wants to dip into a funny part of a recent episode check out May 10, 2011. Paul Scheer's appearance is great he is basically making GBS threads all over the movie he is currently in (Piranha 3DD).

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Mico posted:

The podcasts go back at least a year and are mp3 format.

Yes, and you may find after some complicated math that June 15, 2010 is more than a year ago.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I think Larry D. Pervison is quickly becoming my favorite caller, just for the way Tom makes fun of him and Larry just takes it.

"Larry, what was your favorite 90s Nickelodeon game show?"

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
LDP is fun when he's just kinda weird and they don't play into the Perv part so much. The "I'm just a microphone fan" thing a few weeks ago really cracked me up.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Why did Tom throw Nick DiPaolo into the Hate Pit? Was it because he made fun of Tom's sweatshirt?

Tom was also on the Chris Gethard show last night. It's pretty bad but he's great: http://thechrisgethardshow.com/.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 4, 2011

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
It was a leather jacket you hooligan

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tom was also on the Chris Gethard show last night. It's pretty bad but he's great: http://thechrisgethardshow.com/.

Tom wants to heave-ho every last one of these people.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

you hooligan

I've been calling people "ape" with disturbing frequency since I heard him do it a few weeks ago.

I don't know why, but it tickled my fancy something fierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I haven't listened to the latest show, but in John Hodgman's latest book there is a Hate Pit reference.