Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. He went off on Kevin Smith AND Gene Simmons in the same episode. They are two of my favorite people to hear him rag on.

Does anyone remember when Kevin Smith was on the show a few years ago? It was the most hilariously awkward thing I have ever heard and Tom was pretending to be a huge fan. If you haven't heard it I recommend checking i out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I think the Sharpling/PFT rift probably came from the Comedy Central show they made a pilot for not being picked up. I can only imagine how lovely that must feel, especially for Sharpling since he's had that happen once already I think.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

NESguerilla posted:

Nice. He went off on Kevin Smith AND Gene Simmons in the same episode. They are two of my favorite people to hear him rag on.

Does anyone remember when Kevin Smith was on the show a few years ago? It was the most hilariously awkward thing I have ever heard and Tom was pretending to be a huge fan. If you haven't heard it I recommend checking i out.

ahahaha I did not hear this and I have to hear it now.

Edit: I think it's May 5 2009: http://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=31351&archive=52057

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, it was during a time where Tom was constantly bashing Kevin Smith and regularly going off on tangents about what a talentless fat blob he is. Tom has actually really chilled out on making fun of him since then.

I guess AP Mike sort of knows KS because he used to troll him on message boards in the 90's (seriously), which somehow culminated in him calling the show and talking for like an hour while Tom directly contradicts (like intentionally saying the exact opposite) of everything he has ever said about Smith. He even throws Mike under the bus and talks about how he is always trying to get him to realize how good Smith's movies are.

Smith is totally unaware that he is the butt of a joke throughout and acts pretty sincere the whole time. You can tell at some point Tom starts to feel bad and realizes the hole he dug himself into. I almost felt kind of bad for KS at some point even though I can't stand the guy.

It's one of the weirder episodes out there.

Edit: Does anyone know of a good program to listen to the old real audio files on the Mac? The only player I have that will play them is VLC, but for some reason I can't skip around at all in it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 7, 2012

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: Does anyone know of a good program to listen to the old real audio files on the Mac? The only player I have that will play them is VLC, but for some reason I can't skip around at all in it.
It def sucks, but there is a RealPlayer (official I think?) for OS X that will play them, I've used it before. I'm pretty sure just googling for realplayer download or realplayer os x should turn it up. If not, let me know and I can zip it up and send it to you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks. The download wasn't working for me before, but I have it now so don't worry about it.

Edit: I just noticed the weirdest thing. When I play the real audio files in my VLC player it plays completely strange poo poo instead of the best show. The first ep I tried to listen to was some old audio of 2 guys talking about vinyl, the second was just some ambient music. Wtf

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 8, 2012

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Tonight on The Best Show: CHRIS ELLIOTT, JASON WOLINER, JIM GAFFIGAN and more. Just tweeted by Tom. Gonna be awesome.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

SansWetware posted:

Tonight on The Best Show: CHRIS ELLIOTT, JASON WOLINER, JIM GAFFIGAN and more. Just tweeted by Tom. Gonna be awesome.

Holy poo poo

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Was that Zach from Mit Hamine at the end (saying that the best show sucks) ?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I don't think it was but it's entirely possible? I don't recall his phone being that bad or his voice being that low

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

Was that Zach from Mit Hamine at the end (saying that the best show sucks) ?

It would be appropriately pathetic but I don't think so.

Show was hilarious. We got Elliott, Woliner, Gaffigan, Maron, Gary the Squirrel and a great Wurster call.

ClaytonClaw
Dec 9, 2004

I just listened to the Matt Walsh interview and it was so awkward, I was sure the feud was just a bit, but I guess not.

The old Matt Walsh calls were awesome. My favorite is Matt trying to promote his special and Jon Benjamin calls in as a Steve Carell fan who spends litteraly 30 minutes on the line trying to load imdb. (May 21, 2002 if anyone is interested)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Het posted:

I don't think it was but it's entirely possible? I don't recall his phone being that bad or his voice being that low

I vaguely remember him calling in before doing a deep voice thing and then admitting in his normal voice it was Zach from Mit Hamine, that is what it reminded me of but I have to admit it could have been anyone doing a fake sounding deep voice. Though really who would wait on hold 45 min just to say the show is terrible?

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

ClaytonClaw posted:

I just listened to the Matt Walsh interview and it was so awkward, I was sure the feud was just a bit, but I guess not.

The old Matt Walsh calls were awesome. My favorite is Matt trying to promote his special and Jon Benjamin calls in as a Steve Carell fan who spends litteraly 30 minutes on the line trying to load imdb. (May 21, 2002 if anyone is interested)

There was a feud? I thought Matt just cursed a few times during his previous interview and Tom had to heave-ho him.

ClaytonClaw
Dec 9, 2004

plastered quack posted:

There was a feud? I thought Matt just cursed a few times during his previous interview and Tom had to heave-ho him.

Yeah, but Tom got mad at him irl for that

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Hmm, he really was mad just for accidentally cursing on air? That's all it takes to set Tom "G.G. Allin is God" off?

kind of makes you wonder about what set off the PFT dispute...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He always seems visibly annoyed (even if it's half joking) when someone curses on the air. I think that Matt Walsh thing happened during the short period where Tom was constantly whining and being a dick to everyone and he flew off the handle.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I assume the station could be fined if Tom isn't fast enough on the trigger to bleep it out.

Fun fact: my college radio station got their FCC license suspended because DJs used a 'code' to sell drugs on the air. I guess the code was pretty obvious, though. By the time the suspension was over there were too many stations in the area so I didn't get the college radio DJ experience. :smith:

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

plastered quack posted:

Hmm, he really was mad just for accidentally cursing on air? That's all it takes to set Tom "G.G. Allin is God" off?

kind of makes you wonder about what set off the PFT dispute...

90% of Tom on the air is a bit.

And don't disrespect Kevin Allin like that.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Yeah guys I assumed it was a bit coming from Tom worrying about repercussions from the FCC, I was responding to:

ClaytonClaw posted:

Yeah, but Tom got mad at him irl for that

Also, I have no idea what this means:

Satire Forum Mom posted:

don't disrespect Kevin Allin like that.
I brought up G.G. Allin because obviously Tom couldn't possibly have a problem with profanity. Unless that's a show reference I don't get :confused:

Urk! fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 12, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Tom responded to an email I sent him today! So happy. :)

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Guys, stop talking about Kevin Allin this way. He passed on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

plastered quack posted:

I brought up G.G. Allin because obviously Tom couldn't possibly have a problem with profanity. Unless that's a show reference I don't get :confused:

He swears all the time on the internet. It's just a joke/him avoiding getting nailed by the FCC. And I am pretty sure his GG Allin love is 90% a joke too like Mickey Dolenz.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

NESguerilla posted:

I am pretty sure his GG Allin love is 90% a joke too like Mickey Dolenz.

Ah, thanks. In that case, sorry about that Satire

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I have to imagine that FCC fines are a huge deal for a station that's completely listener supported. A Clear Channel station (maybe even NPR) probably has contingency funds, or some kind an insurance plan in place to deal with any FCC fines.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Maarak posted:

I have to imagine that FCC fines are a huge deal for a station that's completely listener supported. A Clear Channel station (maybe even NPR) probably has contingency funds, or some kind an insurance plan in place to deal with any FCC fines.
Yeah I always assumed his rage over cursing was sincere because of this, and I figured Matt Walsh just didn't take it as seriously as Tom did

Good Slumlord
Apr 10, 2008
I like to help people out
Am I alone in disliking Wurster? I've been listening for almost a year now and at this point if not listening to the show live I'll just skip passed his calls. The bits just feel very forced to me, I mean besides being overly long and totally boring.

So I'm alone?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Good Slumlord posted:

Am I alone in disliking Wurster? I've been listening for almost a year now and at this point if not listening to the show live I'll just skip passed his calls. The bits just feel very forced to me, I mean besides being overly long and totally boring.

So I'm alone?

They are the absolute highlight of the show for me.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Good Slumlord posted:

So I'm alone?
Yes you are you poor soul

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Good Slumlord posted:

So I'm alone?

It took me a long time to come around on the Wurster bits, mostly because I misread them initially as a prank caller gag instead of just a series of characters all with the same voice.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Good Slumlord posted:

Am I alone in disliking Wurster?
Yes.

quote:

So I'm alone?
Yup.

I mean, I got into the show via Rock, Rot, & Rule, so Wurster was specifically the appeal to me, but it sort of baffles me that anyone would be listening and not liking Wurster's stuff (which isn't to say that it's undeniably funny, just that the rest of the show is a lot sparser/more hit and miss imho, so I'm surprised that that's what you're there for)

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Good Slumlord posted:

Am I alone in disliking Wurster?

Wait, WWWWWWHAT!!??

edit: Yes you are alone.

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 13, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Wow, last week's show didn't get into the best on Podmass? With all those great guests? Insane.

It took me a while to get into Wurster. I thought he was just a prank caller whom Tom kept goading until I realized it was a bit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Although I enjoy Wurster a lot, it's definitely not my favorite part of the show. For me it's always been about the random tangents and the callers. That's not to say I don't like JW though. Most of his calls are really funny. I will admit to occasionally skipping them if they are going on forever and I am short on time.

Also, If anyone wants to listen to an amazing Kevin Smith rant check out July 25, 2006 and skip to two hours in. He just tears him apart so bad.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 13, 2012

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Wurster bits suck

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Wurster didn't click for me the first one or two times I heard him...then I heard one of his characters die by laser-whip. Now that I get the whole "Newbridge is a fake city filled with Tom and Wurster characters" joke his calls are probably my favorite part of the show.

Also, I decided to type Tom Scharpling into Google to see what this first suggestion was that Tom berated the "lowest common denominator" of his fans for causing...

Google posted:

Tom Scharpling
Tom Scharpling paul f tompkins
Tom Scharpling twitter
Tom Scharpling WFMU

Oh. :smith:

Urk! fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 14, 2012

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Overall I think the Wurster bits used to be alot funnier back in like 08 when I first started listening HOWEVER I cannot hate Wuster, ever. Even on his worst days he makes me laugh.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

plastered quack posted:

Also, I decided to type Tom Scharpling into Google to see what this first suggestion was that Tom berated the "lowest common denominator" of his fans for causing...

Oh. :smith:

When I did it it was "Tom Scharpling New York Magazine" which works just as well.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Do you think when Patton Oswalt's special was over tonight, Tom lunged for the remote or do you think he watched PFT's special while seething with rage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
He probably has a screener or bought Patton's DVD instead