Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'm pretty sure the last gorch appearance was ~10+ years ago when he rolled up to the wfmu studios on his rascal scooter

gorch snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Weembles posted:

I don't remember Conan calling in before. And it's been a while since the last Gorch appearance.

Tom seems to be putting in an effort.

It was just my prediction! But yeah, I'm not sure if Conan has called in before. John Vanderslice is playing now and is telling a "Best Show got me through a rough spot" story lol

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
A very rare Jon Wuster appearance happening right now

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol Tom did an NFT show

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Might be the poor mix but this Neil young cover band. Woof

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Dr.Radical posted:

Might be the poor mix but this Neil young cover band. Woof

I mean it's entirely made up of podcast engineers/producers

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That’s why the mix sucks?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Dr.Radical posted:

That’s why the mix sucks?

Everyone who knows how to mix is holding an instrument.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
currently in the bummer guest hour, Tom's having to work the inspirational magic he used to only have to work on callers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fez_machine posted:

currently in the bummer guest hour, Tom's having to work the inspirational magic he used to only have to work on callers

Lol who was it?

I haven’t tried to tackle any of this episode yet

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Lol who was it?

I haven’t tried to tackle any of this episode yet

I assume it was Kevin Corrigan.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Amazing Kreskin was on, rambling like only an 80+ year old can.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Weembles posted:

I assume it was Kevin Corrigan.

and Kindler who is deathly afraid of catching covid

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I really enjoyed the Jarvis Cocker interview.

Now I'm wondering if Mike Watt performing in a mask is for artistic or covid reasons.

Weembles fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 27, 2022

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Weembles posted:

I really enjoyed the Jarvis Cocker interview.

Now I'm wondering if Mike Watt performing in a mask is for artistic or covid reasons.

I don't know, but that was a hell of an hour

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
So due to living in Japan I listened to it in weirder times than most people. I was working from home so I could listen to it from about 10am my time (when it started) to about 5pm when I had to do some family poo poo, and then for an hour or two later in the night before bed (where Kevin Corrigan’s drunk call was a highlight). It honestly just felt like a bunch of ok episodes combined. There were some big guests but nothing really you might not hear on a normal episode. I could totally see Conan calling in just because they probably mutually know people in podcasting and show business (Wurster being one of them) and also I could see Jarvis Cocker calling in on a normal episode. The karaoke bit was where I was like “Ok. Time to take a break from this.”

It was an ambitious concept but it definitely did not have the spontaneity of something like the Four Loko Christmas episode from when it was on the radio. Goddamn I’m not sure something like that is possible any more.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Did PFT, Aimee Mann, Ted Leo or Terre T make an appearance?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Did PFT, Aimee Mann, Ted Leo or Terre T make an appearance?

They did not. If they did I would have been truly impressed. Having an on the air reconciliation with PFT would have been an unbeatable “get” but alas. Missed opportunity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The lack of Ted Leo and Aimee Man for years has been noticeable but has there been actually any reason to assume they aren't on good terms with Tom other than really vague gossip?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Did any listeners get him a guest good enough to earn a box set of records?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Conan absolutely losing his poo poo over the Gorch was equal parts surprising and wonderful

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah that was a highlight for sure. Wurster has been on Conan before both in a musical capacity and doing sketches so it’s not super surprising that Conan checked out some of his stuff

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/mrjasongore/status/1555422904614940673?s=20&t=4_x9VpCFtzI-cEh4oszn8Q

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

How ya doing Jason *computer screeching

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GoutPatrol posted:

How ya doing Jason *computer screeching

This is the funniest thing that has ever happened to someone.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
talked to tom and the chapo boys, good show

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

the best show, even

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
You called in as Peppa Pig???

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One step closer to Best Show Cumtown crossover

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

Dr.Radical posted:

You called in as Peppa Pig???

busted

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tom extolling Lana De Ray always sucks the energy out of the room. Thankfully it was at the end of the show this time.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Toms version of Office Hours was better than Tim's version of the Best Show, imho.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Weembles posted:

Toms version of Office Hours was better than Tim's version of the Best Show, imho.

I believe you. I haven’t seen Tom’s Office Hours but the Tim Best Show was not great, the GG Allin manager call not withstanding, of course.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Holy poo poo I tuned into Tim's Best Show and some caller asked him "what age did you get into the Beatles" and I almost threw my shoe at my speaker. Tim's look and reaction was completely appropriate something like "wtf? yea that's what people want to hear about." If people are going to get past Mike with poo poo like that I'll tune in next week.

edit: look, if you just want to talk to your hero you still gotta have a topic. Don't improv your topic on the fly! If that was a pre-thought-out question then that caller should be humanely euthanized.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought Tim's Best Show was really good. Office hours has grown on me but the drops and absolute chaos of it still drive me nuts. I'd religiously listen to a more low key Tim podcast. Also a fan of both his guests so that was cool.

Pat trying to do the bad guy bit made me embarrassed for him and then trying to salvage it at the end and whiffing that too was a lol.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jason Gore is a treasure.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Jason Gore is a treasure.

Oh god yeah

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I'd give anything to hear the story of how Tom became friends with Kevin Corrigan.

Every conversation those two have on air sounds like two strangers in a restaurant trying to make small talk while their mutual friend is in the bathroom.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
You could ask on the Patreon for the next Ask Tom. Probably should leave that second part out though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Gotta say, though, Kevin Corrigan’s story about Michael Shannon playing Scott Joplin at the rehearsal just makes him sound like an annoying drama kid to me. Gotta make sure everyone knows you’re a good musician, huh Michael?

Also LOL at Kevin not remembering the name of the character he plays in the movie he’s promoting