Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
This is making me sad, but it's also reminding me that I still have 7 years worth of episodes left to catch up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Meet Jon!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
<3

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Goddamn.

Edit: haha, Tom Waits.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
So, can I just give Tom my Paypal password and not have to miss a week?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I had a PM asking how I've been converting the .rm streams, so I might as well post here as well in case others are interested. Again, if anyone has a hosting solution I'm happy to upload so people can avoid having to do this. I'd estimate 50-70 Mb / show & probably at least 200 shows until that archive I posted gets reliable in 2006.

1) Using NetTransport (30 day free trial), start a new download with source URL rtsp://archive.wfmu.org/archive/BS/bs001024.rm (changing the .rm file to coincide with show dates from http://wfmu.org/playlists/BS, ie example file is from October 24, 2000). This will save a ~20 mb .rm file.

2) In VLC, go to Media>Convert/Save, add the .rm file and choose Convert. Set profile to Audio - MP3, and change Audio Codec to MP3, 64 kb/s (that's what the mp3 archives are), 2 channels, and 44100 Sample Rate. I'm not sure if Encapsulation makes a difference, but mine is set on RAW. Then just set the destination file and hit start.

Edit: We may have a hoster.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 18, 2013

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

You could always throw up a torrent somewhere instead of hosting what sounds like 15 GB of data. That sounds like it might turn into an expensive pain in the rear end over time.

In any case, keep us posted.

Yeah, i thought about torrenting it (actually maybe I should check to see whether the torrents I've found before with no seeders might be active now before I do all this work), but I guess I'd have to have all the episodes ready before starting rather than being able to upload them gradually. It might still be a better option, though. Maybe I could do 1 torrent per year of the show or something.

Unbootable posted:

I just wanted to add that I've been using Flashget to grab the RM files, it doesn't seem to have any kind of trial period. I was trying to figure out some way to mass convert the date formats on the playlist to the date format of the files, do you happen to have any tips on how to approach this, or if it's at all possible?

Thanks, yeah I heard about Flashget when I was trying to figure out how to go about this, but I think when I tried to download it the website was down and then I read about some malware concerns on Wikipedia. If it seems OK I can give it a shot, though. No idea on the date format. Net Transport has a way to incorporate wildcards, but not in any way that would be helpful considering the non-linear date format. I've just been doing it manually.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 18, 2013

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
As others have said, it looks like there are some efforts on the FOT board to get the complete archives together so I'm probably not going to put a ton of effort into my own thing. To tide you over, though, here are all the shows from fall/winter 2000 (sorry one of them is twice as big; it was before I knew the right bit rate). You should probably at least grab the Dec 26 show since it's actually not officially in the WFMU archives & I had to find it somewhere else. I haven't heard it, but apparently they had to take it down and apologize to a dude from Blood, Sweat, and Tears because of it.

Dropbox

I'm currently listening to 10/24 and it's insane. Jon Benjamin & someone else (anyone know who?) play a Mets and Yankees fans who come down to the studio to fight. It's also the first ever appearance of Philly Boy Roy.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Unbootable posted:

I listened to this the other day and I'm pretty sure the other fan is played by UCB's Matt Walsh (from Veep, among other things.)

Yeah, that would make sense. I know he used to call in but didn't recognize his voice.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

Just got done listening to Yankees vs Mets, does anyone have recommendations for other early shows that have Matt Walsh / Jon Benjamin characters?

"YOU BRING A BAT, I BRING A KNIFE"
"well, to be fair, you brought both the bat and the knife"

That whole first show in the archives is pretty great, basically a two-hour improv scene with Wurster calling in every 30 minutes playing a different character.

I remember the Gems episode with Benjamin as the Smirnoff rep. Looks like 11/20/01.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

tom turned me onto the sweet. good band, they really osound like queen and bowie even though they predate queen.

I, too, bought Action! The Sweet Anthology put out on the Shout! Factory label.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ATVD0t-To4

'This is technically a hate crime.'

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 31, 2014

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm up to April 02 in my full archive listen. Officer Tom is the best caller.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

How are you going about that? I'd like to do the same, but I'd really like to listen on my phone and those early eps only play in VLC for me without any sort of pause FF rewind functions. Wish I could just find a zip file of the entire run or something.

Someone uploaded the entire mp3 archives here. I've been uploading batches to Dropbox & listening to them using iOS VLC, which honestly kind of sucks because it loses my place sometimes and the steering wheel controls in my car switch episodes rather than jumping back & forth within the episode, but being able to connect my Dropbox account makes it mostly worth it. It's still better than having to move them to my iTunes library or whatever. If anyone has any suggestions for podcast apps with Dropbox integration I'm all ears.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Tom on Facebook posted:

It's fine. I appreciate people caring and wanting me to go forward. But so that there's not a ton of speculation about it, the house in which I was planning to resume The Best Show got broken into and all my equipment was stolen. I'm back at square one in so many ways. Really dispiriting. It feels like the wind is out of my sails and I'm just exhausted.

:(

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

Oh god.

I wish there was some fund I could give money to to help out, but I'd wager that Tom doesn't want it. :(

Yeah pretty much

Tom on Facebook posted:

No crowdsourcing, no Kickstarter. It's not about the money right now.

Seriously, I won't accept one cent. So please don't organize anything. I'll let you all know when it's time for money.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

It's been fun listening to the show from the start. I shouldn't be surprised that someone changed over the course of thirteen years, but it's so goddamn weird how vulgar Tom is in the beginning. During a pledge drive war with Hot Rockin' Ronnie, he calls him a douche about 15 times, and a "douche drinker" on a few occasions, which is both gross and a phrase I'd never even heard before. In the four years I listened to him, I'd heard him call a guy a douche once, and that was during that amazing show that led to him taking a month off. I remember it so clearly because it was honestly jarring to hear him say something so crass. It was the guy liked college basketball, of all things, and he kept questioning Tom as to why he wasn't a fan.

Did he have a falling out with Jon Benjamin? He was such a constant contributor for awhile, and I don't remember hearing him once since I started listening to the show. I know Jon got a whole lot busier between then and now, but it's weird to have not heard from him even once since then.

Yeah, I was surprised by how frequent non-Jon (Wurster) characters are in the early shows. I'm guessing they fell off during the later years just because of how much writing and planning is involved. Also, if you're listening to the old pledge drives you're a better man than I. I never even listened to the new ones.

Currently listening to : August 13, 2002

PS:

Tom posted:

Attention people of the NJ area! Are you a realtor in/around the Jersey City/Hoboken area or have secure office space? Drop a line! bestshow2014email@gmail.com #BestShow2014

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

His after action report of this would have been one of his greatest shows ever.

Yeah, I loved the Beatles convention story. There's been so much going on this year that I wish the show had been around for. If you're not following him on Facebook, it's worth reading the post where he riles up Tom Waits fans again. Even a WFMU dj I'd never heard of got offended.

Meanwhile, the fact that Anthony Cumia is already starting his independent show less than a month after getting fired proves that the world is an unfair, lovely place.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
He better hurry up because I only have 6 1/2 more years worth of archive shows before I reach the point when I started listening originally.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

quote:

@scharpling

BZZZZT…… BZZZZZT….. BZZZZZTTT…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snZcn3Qt1xI
…… (fuse pop)…. BZZZZZZT…. [END OF LINE]

Please mean what I think it means.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
53 MINUTES

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I was really hoping for more information and/or something to sign up for or buy, but the important thing is Best Show 2014 will be a reality (universe permitting).

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Bunk posted:

I was really hoping for more information and/or something to sign up for or buy

Yep, that'll do.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Billy Gnosis posted:

There is an MP3 link with the order that doesn't work that taunts you (I think it gets mentioned somewhere in the release that they aren't doing it).

I wonder if some of the cds will be identical the ones they put out before. I image rock rot and rule has to be in there. It looks like they are reusing some of the previous cds art for some of the cds.

FOT kind of killed the Numero website but the track listing is on there & RR&R is on disc 1 with some later stuff (like CoConut Water), so I don't think they're just putting the original discs in there.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

quote:

scharpling @scharpling · 5h 5 hours ago

Oh, and did I mention that there’s ANOTHER SECRET PROJECT?? #SecretProject3

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

Anyone going through the archives, who's the guy calling in with all the characters like the fella who got promoted to office manager and the British record promoter and Vanilla "Hotbox" Grits? I think I know the voice, but I can't place it. He's, uhhhhh, okay.

Andrew Earles.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Are any of the recent podcasts Tom has been on particularly good? I listened to the Todd Barry one but have never heard most of the other ones.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
No real show tonight. Apparently Tom's dad passed away a few days ago :( . Mike is playing music and clips.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

THE SHOW IS GOING ON THE ROAD.

March 11 Bell House Brooklyn, NY
March 19 Lincoln Hall Chicago, IL
March 22 Cinefamily Los Angeles, CA

I was really hoping for a Jon hometown show, but maybe if it goes well it will happen again.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
poo poo, just the image of him crying in his car before he goes into do the show... :(

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I heard Gary bopped one of the puppets from No, You Shut Up right in the nose.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
For anyone still waiting on the boxset, I never got a shipping/tracking email and mine got delivered yesterday so take heart.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

I always assumed the FT / Tom beef was related to that sitcom Paul's gonna star in that sounds like Fawlty Towers. Who cares though, he was a great part of the show for about four years but there's plenty of those who don't call anymore and it's not like there's some terrible shortage of PFT-related podcast content out there. Just pick a random podcast you've never heard, there's probably an episode with him on it and it will be funny.

I wish Officer Tom still called. He was the best part of the first 2-3 years, but I haven't continued my journey through the archives so I don't know when he stopped.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm on my phone right now, but I've posted the link to the mega.co.nz MP3 archives at least once in this thread so just search my posts.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
More live shows announced last night, can anyone post the cities? I won't be able to listen until after work...

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I haven't heard the episode yet, but that's too bad about Corrigan. I like him as an actor. He was pretty dull on Doug Loves Movies a while back but I just thought maybe he wasn't comfortable in that format.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I thought it was fine - reminded me of some of Kyle Mooney's videos. It's always fun to hear Tom curse, too.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I really have to go back some time and re-listen to my first few shows (the first episode I ever heard was the Gathering of the Juggalos) because I'm pretty sure I didn't realize until the fourth one that the JW calls were A) fake and B) all the same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Scharpling and Wurster are coming to Durham!