Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Tom directed a trailer for John Hodgman's new book. It's very funny.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4cc168ca62/that-is-all

He's a very good director.

Wow, what the gently caress? That is really strange and funny. I like how they got Paul Rudd and Nas to just sit there silently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, the thing with the banned callers was they had gotten all kinds of circle jerky and not all that funny, but, at the same time, there was a reason they became regulars in the first place, which is that at some point, they were (mostly) great callers.

The compromise should be a good way to remind them to call judiciously.

Yeah and the really great ones were not actually banned anyway. Or the ones that Tom can make entertaining despite themselves like Michael K.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Just STARTED listening to this week's show and Tom is absolutely on fire. He must have something good going on because he is killing it.

Edit: Haha he had someone intro a song on a CD he said he liked and he played Tubthumping instead. I just died.

SansWetware fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 2, 2012

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Two weeks of Marathon shows. These are always awesome.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Yep I pledged my 75. Roy is on now. Ted is on next. We already got Vance. Tom raises an unreal amount of money during this. Hundreds of thousands.

Edit: He is real conscious of this camera!

SansWetware fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 22, 2012

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

Mast posted:

Yesss it's Gary.

The impish smile he gets when he is ribbing on Mike with Gary is priceless.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Therese stumbled over my name. It sometimes stumps.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

dog poop n doritos posted:

Does anyone know what the premium is or what its been in the past?? I'm gonna end up donating anyways but I'm just a little curious.

https://www.wfmu.org/marathon/premium_popup.php?p=699&pr=1

Tom will prolly go over it a time or two more.

(also the lady with the black hair fixing the mic and stuff is Terre T, Tom's wife.)

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

Wow, they broke $100k. Last year they got ~$60k. That's an increase of 66.7%!

It's pretty amazing. Especially considering WFMU wants to raise 1.2 million total. He took a giant bite out of that in three hours.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
So this "Marc and Tom Show" is great.

http://www.wtfpod.com

Lots of just bouncing stuff back and forth - lots of music talk and career talk. They work together well. As if it wasn't obvious they are both pretty loving smart.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

Penis envy posted:

During one of the recent shows (might have been the first of the year) Tom is talking about friendships in 2012 and mentions something along the lines of "some friendships were ended by others for 2012," which could mean PFT ended the friendship but I doubt we will ever know for sure.

Also, Gary & Mike are the best comedy duo since Scharpling & Wurster. It's like Tom saved up all the things he ever wanted to say to/about Mike and is putting them out through Gary.

He's just bustin' his beans.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
It is funny seeing Hodgman and AP Mike hanging out and chatting in the call room just knowing Hodgman is gonna give him hell when he is on the show.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Stickles has no beard because of something pretty wild. He got electrified by his mic and it singed and ruined it. He was in the hospital for it and stuff.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
I got the feeling that Tom and Patrick didn't really talk about what the hell he would be playing during the show because, while Tom is pretty cool about things, I am pretty sure he was not ready for the 10-15 minute long endless drunken bulimia jam.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
I have heard the opposite from lots of people. That he is one of the most charmingly nice and friendly dudes you'd ever wish to meet. I think he is probably pretty great to work with if he can get all of those awesome people to volunteer to be in the music videos he directs.

Edit: Holy hell there is no way they are serious with Mit Hamine. That is music for an audience of zero.

SansWetware fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 6, 2012

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Tonight on The Best Show: CHRIS ELLIOTT, JASON WOLINER, JIM GAFFIGAN and more. Just tweeted by Tom. Gonna be awesome.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

Was that Zach from Mit Hamine at the end (saying that the best show sucks) ?

It would be appropriately pathetic but I don't think so.

Show was hilarious. We got Elliott, Woliner, Gaffigan, Maron, Gary the Squirrel and a great Wurster call.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
"Comedian TODD BARRY calls in for an on-air Twitter war! Mit Hamine's album finally breaks! Terrence Shropshire calls about life in "Da Bumble" and his new venture! Bath salt comedy! Mike reviews Kevin Smith's audio book! And Gary opens his mailbag!"

I am a little late to this one but I can only imagine "Gary opens his mailbag" will be rewarding.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

It is. I'm not a fan of Todd Barry and his call on the show did not convince me otherwise.

He is apparently quite a prick and only calls the show to shill his act. I do not see a mutual friendship thing going on really, just Tom letting Todd give us 10-15 minute commercials for his comedy act. I think it is so he keeps guest appearances up, but I think most folks would just rather hear Tom do his thing than listen to Todd be too cool for school.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

het posted:

Are you saying this based on something other than the show? That's not really the impression I've gotten.

Well other folks have said he is real accessible after his show now, so I could be all wrong. It is just second hand accounts of being real inaccessible and seeming like he can not wait to get away from his fans after shows. Though sometimes folks in comedy clubs expect too much. Maybe I heard all wrong.

I still feel like I am listening to really long commercials when he calls in though.

And Billy the album breaking was literally that. I think he hit it with a bat or a hammer or something. Or at least told Mike to.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

That is a lot of AP Mike's feet in that.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Bopped By a Squirrel is amazing. Beach Weirdo should definitely be next.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Best Show has been so drat good lately. This was one of the best in a long while. Braunohler is loving hilarious.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
I was laughing as hard at PIXARt as I did at the Juggalo episode.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Good grief Wally Wackimann's song was so horrendous. It kinda circled back into hilarious.

500 2-3 hour episodes is such a mountain of content. And always with actual content. Wurster calls or guests or SOMETHING you can tell he worked on. Guy puts in a lot of work.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Catching up on old episodes and when Tom asked if the RR in George R R Martin stood for Rascal Rider I lost it.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
It's like it never left. I'm so happy.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Despite the personal troubles Tom is coping with the show seems to be picking up steam. He had Kristen Schaal last week and John Oliver this week. I personally could listen to 3 hours of just Tom but am pretty sure this does, in fact, bring the dummies into the fold like he says.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

Spike was just discussed on national television.

At length! And Tom had the line of the night with the ankle bracelet comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Since the show left WFMU I was pretty bummed out about never getting to listen to the music parts anymore. Today I looked around on Spotify and found a playlist for 2014/2015.
https://play.spotify.com/user/jouster/playlist/4GZ6yuUpcxbMJn3kaYx5ar

And also here's about 2000 songs Tom played during the WFMU years!
https://play.spotify.com/user/1224693779/playlist/32dyqfv10Vh3R5WTkJxP7E
https://play.spotify.com/user/mm220/playlist/4rqzQ7ukorTTkNcnG8EToL

Awesome man, thanks! Can't even begin to know how many album purchases I have made because of the opening of his show.