Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
So happy there's finally a thread for this - was tempted to make one but I've only started listening regularly in the last few months so felt unworthy. Agreed that it's crazy how consistently funny the Wurster calls are (especially for a guy whose primary job isn't comedy). The Ron Furst one from a few weeks back had me breaking down all the way through. Have him or Tom ever talked much about how they're written/how much is improvised? It's obvious Tom has an idea of where the call is going and gives Wurster cues for his next lines etc., but he always has a fair few moments of what sounds like genuine surprise throughout.

My favourite thing about every show is when someone (usually Wurster) mentions the AV Show Podmass bit - I'm guessing pretty much every podcaster out there knows about it but Scharpling is the only one who seems genuinely concerned by it ("You're usually found in The Rest of The Rest section").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

psychicsecession posted:

Does anyone have any recommended episodes/recent Scharpling & Wurster bits? I haven't listened to the Best Show in over a year and I don't know where to start again.

S&W-wise, the August 16th one call is from Philly Boy Roy and goes really meta and hilarious. And the Roy Furst one from July 12th is incredible all the way through. No idea of time stamps but they're both super long as per usual, so pretty easy to find with a skip-through.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Wurster characters getting name-dropped on SMASH: http://twitpic.com/9knwz4

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Wurster is on fire lately in my opinion: that epic time-travel call for the 500th was insane (loved the reference to himself too) and I found his call last week the best Philly Boy Roy one in a while (and they're all good). Think I just find any mention of Romney hilarious, plus I will always childishly laugh at Roy saying 'pulled a boner'.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure that nobody has posted the legendary Wurster call 'Music Scholar' in this thread yet: http://coilhouse.net/2007/12/scharpling-and-wurster-the-best-show-on-wfmu/ Maybe my favourite call ever (because I feel myself becoming that guy everyday)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The AV Club comments on this article about him mocking AV Club comments are great in terms of how humourlessly they take it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Good interview: http://www.avclub.com/articles/scharpling-wurster-pick-their-favorite-best-show-g,91510/

Also, in that they mention the Bruce Springsteen biographer call that came up in Best Show Gems a few weeks back and I don't think got mentioned in this thread, but is an all time classic.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
George R.R. Martin being from Bayonne surprised me a lot then made perfect sense. (Oh yeah, Nathan For You really is fantastic by the way).

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Newest Gems is a must listen if you haven't heard it - has many, many great callbacks, then a classic bit where John just lists things that suck for about 20 minutes.

Randomly remembered earlier the call from last year when John described Herman Cain as 'One black cat I wouldn't mind crossing my path' and I couldn't stop laughing.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 14, 2013

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
John is this week's guest on The Fogelnest Files, for people who don't usually check that podcast/Twitter. Well worth a listen: it's mostly just them talking about dumb clips/Philly, which is great anyway, but there's a fair bit about the origins and motivations of Newbridge residents.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hardest I've heard Tom and John (Wurster) laugh in ages during that Wacky Packages bit. That was song also really, really funny.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Someone getting Bad Company-ed has never not made me laugh. Enjoyed Fogelnest this week: I love, love, love the insane 'Franco Teardrop' sound collages. The consecutive stories of Tom seeing Jake in a Scream 3 screening, then of Tom going to see Animal by himself at 10am made me howl with laughter for some reason.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Laughed so hard when I saw this. Well done that caller. Somebody needs to start a campaign to get Tom to host that show, it would be glorious.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Wow, that's unbelievably depressing. Just knowing every week that I had a new, unlistened to Best Show on my phone always made me goddamn delighted. I am excited for how insane the last show is going to be though. Three hour sound collage?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I laughed hard at the idea someone posted on another site that Jon should just call in as himself, have it be just them chatting about their calls over the years for a few minutes, then in true Wursterian style let some weird things slip and slowly peel away the veneer to reveal that he is a disgusting creep who secretly hates Tom.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Insane show last night.

Oh yeah, Tom is doing a voice in the new Cartoon Network show Steven Adventure: he's in episode 2 (/episode 1 part 2) as the main character's Dad. The show is pretty drat good so far, Tom is really, really good in it + he even has a song.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Tom beginning to Bad Company a second grader on this show just made me laugh so hard. Amazing run of terrible callers.

Holy poo poo, Jason from Huntsville, Alabama is in studio, pretty easily the best regular caller of recent years.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 20, 2013

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Have been loving all these last few episodes, sending the show off in fine fashion.

Anyone got any tips for listening to the episodes from pre-2009? They're all .rm files, which all kind of play in VLC but can't really be skipped through. I need to relisten to Julie From Cincinnati's first call!

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Anyone having issues, Hatch is streaming his radio here http://www.ustream.tv/channel/best-show-stream

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
So happy there was at least one lovely caller tonight

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
If Spike calls in I will lose my mind. Embarrassingly emotional about all this.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
"Good riddance to High School radio filthpig"

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yes Vance! (Also, the songs Mike and Gary did to each other are some of my favourite Best Show bits ever)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
So happy about this

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Oh my god, these Robert Fripp jokes

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
TWENTY YEAR OLD FRANKIE

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Holy gently caress, Best Show Origins

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Spike cameo! What a fascinating weirdo

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Chicken Kay-suh-dee-aa

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Him and PFT talking about The Gathering is definitely a strong candidate for funniest, most legendary clip in the show's history

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

het posted:

Haha finishing with HI I'M DENNIS was great

I could hear that every day for the rest of my life and always laugh. Also, my brain is too tuned to that collage and heartbeat, can't cope with the normal show now. And:

Oh my God, Catie's drawing of the Sound Collage

GraPar fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 18, 2013

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Who's this chump? (Can't believe the curtain is down!)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

:(

(Awww, Tom thanking/acknowledging his wife for the first time was super sweet too)

Oh my goodness, tears

GraPar fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 18, 2013

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Incredible episode, perfect end. Tom Waits thing was beautiful

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
That's awesome, thanks so much for that. Tom singing Bridge Over Troubled Water in that is genuinely a little emotional, especially given the context of him trying to help a troubled teen feel better.

The other (more recent) 'Scharpling Sings!' moments I love are him aggressively doing the hook of The Who's Bell Boy and when he just makes up some words for an instrumental Beach Boys song. Related, this clip of Tom analysing Chestnut Mare is one of my favourite bits of the show ever.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 18, 2013

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Tom's run of impressions is still incredible

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Important: http://scharpling.com/

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Bob Seger must be deeply upset that his Father has passed.

If anyone's looking for Tom talking about him, it's 7/12/11, about 1h20 in. The image of Pete Seeger getting electrocuted axing the soundboard during Dylan's performance is incredible.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Someone made a video of Tom vs. Billy Crystal with the actual footage of the Billy Crystal part, it's amazing/too painful to watch. It's Tom's birthday today, incidentally.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 9, 2014