Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't know the exact date, but I love the one where Tom and the callers write a song for Ted Leo to play at the end of the show.
This one? http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/06/ted-leo-and-the.html

edit: looks like the links on that page don't work but you should be able to find the show in the archives I think?

edit 2: Also, the Wurster call from 2010/7/6 was hilarious, that was the character who writes songs of the form "<X> Sucks", I don't think that's in the gems yet

het fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I'll believe when I hear it.
Yeah I think he'll cop out.

Also I'm dying at this Window Monster bit

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
LDP is fun when he's just kinda weird and they don't play into the Perv part so much. The "I'm just a microphone fan" thing a few weeks ago really cracked me up.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
http://twitter.com/#!/scharpling/status/149260160756486144

quote:

Tonight's show is gonna be NUTS. Guests! Music! A Christmas radio play! Four Loko! And more! #BestShowWFMU 9-mid EST
woot, the return of Four Loko

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I really cracked up at "I live in an apartment. I live with two other dudes."

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Put my 75 dollar pledge in! Cant wait for the premium to come
Same (also last year's premium)

Here's the ustream btw: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/marathon-2012

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

SansWetware posted:

Edit: He is real conscious of this camera!
He's actually gotten more comfortable since the beginning, he was more awkward at first before the show got rolling

Also, Tom and Gary:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mico posted:

So glad someone capped this

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Hahaha Pat Stickles is so ridiculously drunk, that was a bit of a trainwreck.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Mit Hamine

edit: dang, beaten

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: Does anyone know of a good program to listen to the old real audio files on the Mac? The only player I have that will play them is VLC, but for some reason I can't skip around at all in it.
It def sucks, but there is a RealPlayer (official I think?) for OS X that will play them, I've used it before. I'm pretty sure just googling for realplayer download or realplayer os x should turn it up. If not, let me know and I can zip it up and send it to you.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I don't think it was but it's entirely possible? I don't recall his phone being that bad or his voice being that low

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Maarak posted:

I have to imagine that FCC fines are a huge deal for a station that's completely listener supported. A Clear Channel station (maybe even NPR) probably has contingency funds, or some kind an insurance plan in place to deal with any FCC fines.
Yeah I always assumed his rage over cursing was sincere because of this, and I figured Matt Walsh just didn't take it as seriously as Tom did

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Good Slumlord posted:

Am I alone in disliking Wurster?
Yes.

quote:

So I'm alone?
Yup.

I mean, I got into the show via Rock, Rot, & Rule, so Wurster was specifically the appeal to me, but it sort of baffles me that anyone would be listening and not liking Wurster's stuff (which isn't to say that it's undeniably funny, just that the rest of the show is a lot sparser/more hit and miss imho, so I'm surprised that that's what you're there for)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

SansWetware posted:

He is apparently quite a prick and only calls the show to shill his act.
Are you saying this based on something other than the show? That's not really the impression I've gotten.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Billy Gnosis posted:

This week lacked Tom, but drunk Mike doing Skeevy never fails to amuse me. Also, I'm never going to think of Mike the same way. I think Skeevy talking about Mike's sexual awakening is the most disturbing thing I've heard on this show.

Edit: "Oh my god, there was a child listening through that".
Haha that quote killed me

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
It's really funny that he praised Supersonic Storybook since I think Albini notoriously hated Urge Overkill

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

lol

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
BTW, anyone thinking of listening, Hatch and Mike are apparently currently in the car on their way to Mike's place to install a ceiling fan (on the radio). Mike keeps playing Steely Dan.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Scharpling implies that Paul F Tompkins is evil in this last episode, haha. That must have been some royal loving-over he gave him. It's a great episode by the way. That weird female caller "Quinn" who wouldn't "say she wasn't" friends with Tim Allen and then hung up, and Scharpling making Spike revise his nickname for Kevin Costner. That "there you go!" when he finally lands on Kevin Costco makes me laugh whenever I think of it.
I was really hoping he'd end up at Kevin Blahhhhstner

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Dear lord, this Zack from Mit Hamine call is so completely absurdly bad, I died laughing at the end

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Billy Gnosis posted:

Im assuming everyone else saw the fact he went straight to plugging his record from a mile away right?
Honestly I was anticipating Tom hanging up as soon as he gave the goahead

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

plastered quack posted:

Looks like Coop finished the design for the t-shirt:

Looks good
Nice, looking forward to getting that shirt.

BTW, Ted Leo hinted that he would be present tomorrow on twitter, hopefully this is another memorable holiday Best Show
https://twitter.com/tedleo/status/280930474732425216

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Man, how long is the show running tonight?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Yeah. He's really gone. Tom quit too. I can't believe this is how it ended.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Man tonight's ep was great. Fun Wurster call, and the Entourage movie stuff was terrific

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Weembles posted:

Holy poo poo. A.C. Newman wrote and performed a song about Spike's love of John Wesley Shipp.
That and the Cory Booker call were both terrific.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NESguerilla posted:

Oh god I lost I'm front of everyone at work when he was making fun of Game of Thrones.
"TONIGHT, WE SUP ON ELF MEAT" had me in tears

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NESguerilla posted:

You aint kidding. I just checked it out tonight and it's loving hilarious.
Seriously, I watched all the eps this week and was dying. The last scene of this week's ep was amazing in a "wait, what? this is so absurd it must have been scripted but this guy is obviously real" way. Nathan is really terrific at deadpan deliveyr.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I listened to that one just for the "sucks" part but I'd forgotten that that was also the one where he talks about mini-Skrewdriver.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Last week was Hatch/Spoony/Daniel Ralston/Jake Fogelnest though, it definitely wasn't just a DJ. Trying to limit podcast crosspromotion maybe :tinfoil:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

DangerDummy! posted:

If anyone out there shares Tom's fascination with Morton Downey Jr., or if his recent interview with one of the directors piqued your interest, "Evocateur" is now up on Netflix instant watch. It was okay, but nothing earth-shattering. I enjoyed it more as a trip down memory lane than anything else. It ended up being a lot drier than I expected.
Oh nice, thanks for the tip. I'm definitely curious about it, I was old enough at the time that I sort of knew of Morton Downey Jr. but I definitely wasn't old enough to really process it/understand the cultural significance.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Yeah, I'm really bummed though Tom's obviously right that it was an unreasonable and unsustainable thing to do for no money at all (indirect exposure and such aside).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Juttman posted:

Its so silly, but i really would feel awful. As ridiculous and selfish as these characters are, I really care about PBR. Hes so loveable, and he makes me proud to be a philly-ite in a weird way.
I'm hoping that the Tom being Newbridge mayor plays into this, maybe a reprise of the mayubernatorial debate with PBR becoming mayor again

NESguerilla posted:

It was called Rock Rot and Rule and it's loving hilarious. It's one of the only mixes of actual callers and Wurster bits out there. He pretended to be an author who wrote a book rating what bands sucked and what bands didn't with no credentials and trolled a bunch of music nerds that called in.

Didn't know if that was the first thing they did or not, but either way it's worth mentioning because it's great.

Edit: It's also one of the only times you will hear one of their bits before everyone was in on the joke. It was more of a straight up troll than just a comedy sketch.
The "Madness created ska" thing always kills me, just for the people calling in to correct him

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Todd Barry just mentioned on Twitter that he'll be on the Best Show tonight (I'm excited though I know some people around here aren't the biggest fans)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
There was another 4Loko Christmas party last year and Ted Leo was there (according to the archives, at least :)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CaptainPsyko posted:

JIMMY CRESPO IS DEAD.
"62 million." "Holy crap."

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

GraPar posted:

Him and PFT talking about The Gathering is definitely a strong candidate for funniest, most legendary clip in the show's history
Yeah, I relistened to that over the weekend, so classic. "can you fly over the fresh-rear end comedy tent? I want to vomit on Pauly Shore"

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Haha finishing with HI I'M DENNIS was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mico posted:

I'm sitting here in silence not knowing what to do with myself. I know if I put on music I'll invariably go for Superchunk or The Mountain Goats and that'll just make me feel even worse.
I'm listening to the Wurster call about the Bruce Springsteen biography