Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Spike's also gone through a strangely large amount of character development.

Years ago, when he first started calling, he was just a gimmick caller who would shout "Where's Debbie!" and until Tom hung up on him. For a while he was pretty much in the same league as the Mr. T soundboard.

After Tom coaxed him into talking, Spike went through a phase where he insisted that he lived in an S&M dungeon and one where he pretended to be writing a book called "Weirdos Exposed".

Modern do-wop loving woman hating Spike is a relatively recent development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

I thought the S&M dungeon was just an invention of Tom's?

The dungeon is vintage Spike. I can't remember the last time he mentioned it, though. Must have been years ago.

The Weirdos Exposed reading was amazing. That episode and Petey's Birthday party reached Curb Your Enthusiasm levels of cringworthy humor.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Holy poo poo. A.C. Newman wrote and performed a song about Spike's love of John Wesley Shipp.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tom was the guest bailiff on the Judge John Hodgman podcast this week. The case itself was a little meh, but Tom and Hodgman were pretty funny.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Weirdos Exposed saga went on for weeks and weeks, but I think the whole thing came to a head in the November 10 2009 show.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Anyone receive the pledge drive swag yet? HAve they shipped it?

Most of my 2013 stuff came a week or two ago and my 2012 Best Show premium came this week.

The 2013 Best Show fun pack was marked as 'back ordered', so I'm not sure when it will show up.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

I'd hate to see WFMU go under as a result of this. I've always feared that when The Best Show ends then the money will stop coming in. Hopefully Tom will come back to do a show during the annual pledge drive.

Oh god, the pledge drive... As bad as we feel, I bet Ken Freedman is taking it twice as hard.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

inferis posted:

Spike doesn't look like Wesley Willis at all. Because they're both black and Spike is a little overweight? I have no idea what you are talking about

Could be worse. Spike used to describe himself as looking like Malcolm Jamal Warner.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Has anyone had a chance to listen to the Stroszek commentary yet?

I'm holding out until I can find a copy of the film to watch it with.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

It died on me too.

I had to abandon ship for http://www.ustream.tv/channel/best-show-stream

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

"All nem strings, all nem screws, all nem glue"

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I will never be able to listen to A Prarie Home Companion again without remembering that creepy poem from the sound collage.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Holy poo poo - Petey!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I'm genuinely sad about the Tom/PFT feud. His appearances had some prime collage material.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

GraPar posted:

Him and PFT talking about The Gathering is definitely a strong candidate for funniest, most legendary clip in the show's history

Oh god... the HELICOPTER...

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

That was fantastic.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Snowy posted:

You just reminded me that Pete Seeger was one if the advance obituaries they recorded on 7SD a while back. The idea was they would be able to interrupt whatever was playing on the station with a heartfelt tribute, right after the news broke. Time to go digging in the archives.

This is it:

http://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=51442&archive=89077&drop=2

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Low Times podcast put out their final episode recently. One of the reasons given for ending it was Tom's efforts at getting the Best Show back in some form.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

If anyone is going to the San Diego Comic-Con, Scharpling is scheduled to be on the Steven Universe panel on Saturday.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

He gets up to the same stuff on Twitter. For the last two days he has been responding to anyone in his feed who makes even the mildest joke with "POINTS!!!"

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bunk posted:

Are any of the recent podcasts Tom has been on particularly good? I listened to the Todd Barry one but have never heard most of the other ones.

That WPRB one that Mico mentioned was pretty good, if you don't mind a straightforward interview.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

They're doing a test show at 1 PM EST.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tom and Jon are doing a panel at SF Sketchfest this year.

Andy Kindler is moderating and John Darnielle and Bob Mould are the musical guests.

http://sched.co/285V

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mico posted:

i know he's using livestream, anyone got a direct link to the livestream channel?

I pulled this URL out of the page source:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/11222128/events/3662161/player?width=560&height=315&autoPlay=false&mute=false

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's really weird that they're gonna do an episode so close to xmas but also cool, I'm down with it.

I haven't gone back to count, but I'd bet that Tom has done a lot more of his Christmas-proximate shows than he's skipped.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Still kind of annoys me that he never just said what happened or didn't bring it up in the first place.

It's annoying - and to this day I'd still like to know what happened - but after listening to the man for over a decade, I can't imagine him behaving any other way.

On a happier topic, my box set came today and it is fantastic. If anyone is still on the fence about buying one, it is totally worth the money.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I used to think that the weirdos wouldn't call in now that the show was on the Internet...

Avalanche Bob proved me wrong.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Didn't the show get started late this week? I couldn't listen live, but it shows up as a half hour shorter than usual in iTunes.

Maybe they missed his availability window.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

One of my favorite parts of The Cherry Blossom Clinic was how diligent she was at kicking callers off the line when they called in too early for ticket giveaways.

I think the lady is just a fan of people getting hung up on.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I'm surprised that people are so down on the show. I think the last year's worth of shows has been easily better than the last two years when it was on WFMU.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bunk posted:

I wish this had been released on Tuesday.

The response will only get better the more time Tom has to stew over it.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Not sure if I'm a super fan of Dudio's laughter in the background these days.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

WrathOfBlade posted:

Also this call was recently brought to my attention and I think it's a must-listen. Maybe it's 'cause I'm a latecomer to the show but this version of Tom caught me totally off guard.

Trying to talk over him has always been the absolutely best way to get on Tom's nerves.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

This computer voice guy is equal parts amazing and excruciating.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tom and Jo(h)n Daly were on the Comedy Bang Bang that came out today.

Highlights include Tom swearing and Jon improvising a new "look it up Scotty" song.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

This whole thing is amazing. I want him to do a 3-hour version of it but that seems like it would be a spectacularly bad financial decision.

I'd be more worried about the stroke Tom would inevitably have trying to keep that up for three hours.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Huh. Tom really does always wear polo shirts. Why did I never notice that?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like an idiot asking this but was that really Tom Talking to Brian Wilson? It sounded nothing like him but that lines up perfectly with a story he told recently.

That's really him. I remember that clip coming up back in the WFMU days.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

More episodes of Gary the Squirrels Broadcaating Boot Camp

Maybe the other guys will do stuff. Dudio could put out a "Greatest Distracting Laughs from the Next Room" mix supercut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Looks like the Patreon is going well. I wonder how big the bump will be after the first new show.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/TheBestShow