Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

Great Best Show last week. Laughed like a jackass at work way too many times. It was great to hear Matt "Toilet Mouth" Walsh again, but the subtle shot at Paul Tompkins was a little sad.

I must have missed that. What did he say? Actually, does anyone know what actually happened between Tom and Paul? I am assuming it had something to do with their show? E: Just read more of the thread and it looks like the answer to that is no. Gah.

I had no idea there was a Best Show thread here. It's pretty much my favorite thing ever. I haven't missed and episode in like 7 years.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have honestly never thought PFT was that funny on his own but I felt like he really brought the best out in Tom. I always looked forward to him being on because there was just something about him that sent Scharpling into overdrive.

Sorry I am still enamored with the fact that there is a SA best show thread and I have another queation. How is that Zack guy that Tom hate's band name spelled? MIthamime? I can't find them on google for the life of me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha. Ouch, that record needs another random punch and then some.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. He went off on Kevin Smith AND Gene Simmons in the same episode. They are two of my favorite people to hear him rag on.

Does anyone remember when Kevin Smith was on the show a few years ago? It was the most hilariously awkward thing I have ever heard and Tom was pretending to be a huge fan. If you haven't heard it I recommend checking i out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, it was during a time where Tom was constantly bashing Kevin Smith and regularly going off on tangents about what a talentless fat blob he is. Tom has actually really chilled out on making fun of him since then.

I guess AP Mike sort of knows KS because he used to troll him on message boards in the 90's (seriously), which somehow culminated in him calling the show and talking for like an hour while Tom directly contradicts (like intentionally saying the exact opposite) of everything he has ever said about Smith. He even throws Mike under the bus and talks about how he is always trying to get him to realize how good Smith's movies are.

Smith is totally unaware that he is the butt of a joke throughout and acts pretty sincere the whole time. You can tell at some point Tom starts to feel bad and realizes the hole he dug himself into. I almost felt kind of bad for KS at some point even though I can't stand the guy.

It's one of the weirder episodes out there.

Edit: Does anyone know of a good program to listen to the old real audio files on the Mac? The only player I have that will play them is VLC, but for some reason I can't skip around at all in it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 7, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks. The download wasn't working for me before, but I have it now so don't worry about it.

Edit: I just noticed the weirdest thing. When I play the real audio files in my VLC player it plays completely strange poo poo instead of the best show. The first ep I tried to listen to was some old audio of 2 guys talking about vinyl, the second was just some ambient music. Wtf

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 8, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He always seems visibly annoyed (even if it's half joking) when someone curses on the air. I think that Matt Walsh thing happened during the short period where Tom was constantly whining and being a dick to everyone and he flew off the handle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

plastered quack posted:

I brought up G.G. Allin because obviously Tom couldn't possibly have a problem with profanity. Unless that's a show reference I don't get :confused:

He swears all the time on the internet. It's just a joke/him avoiding getting nailed by the FCC. And I am pretty sure his GG Allin love is 90% a joke too like Mickey Dolenz.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Although I enjoy Wurster a lot, it's definitely not my favorite part of the show. For me it's always been about the random tangents and the callers. That's not to say I don't like JW though. Most of his calls are really funny. I will admit to occasionally skipping them if they are going on forever and I am short on time.

Also, If anyone wants to listen to an amazing Kevin Smith rant check out July 25, 2006 and skip to two hours in. He just tears him apart so bad.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 13, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes! Tonight Wurster is Terrence, the 47 year old ironic Williamsburg hipster who named his son Mr. T

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think they jumped the shark on Tuesday. I thought the whole thing was entertaining for a while but they are just being irritating trolls now. It was weird, because it sounded like they genuinely flustered Tom a bit by the end of the show.

To be fair Tom has been really mean to that Zach dude since day one though. Their band is really horrible but I think Tom kind of created this monster.

In other news, the Chubby Checker thing had me crying. Tom has been on roll with his rants lately.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 28, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hahaha. I lost is when he was drinking a 4 loko.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SansWetware posted:

Best Show has been so drat good lately. This was one of the best in a long while. Braunohler is loving hilarious.

He has that same quality that PFT has for sending Tom into joke overdrive. Hopefully he becomes a regular.

Also, Mike's response song was hilariously lame.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GraPar posted:

Wurster is on fire lately in my opinion: that epic time-travel call for the 500th was insane (loved the reference to himself too) and I found his call last week the best Philly Boy Roy one in a while (and they're all good). Think I just find any mention of Romney hilarious, plus I will always childishly laugh at Roy saying 'pulled a boner'.

The time travel call was definitely one of his best ever.

Groucho Marxist posted:

I thought all the Spoonman stuff was gold.

This too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think he's just blowing smoke.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My new favorite caller is the trashy sounding guy in his 50's that clearly has no idea what is going on. Hearing Tom gently caress with him is completely hilarious and borderline cringeworthy at the same time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is this a Rush concert?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hey, maybe one of you guys can help me find something I was looking for. It was a call from the little kid Mac and it was/is featured in the Gems podcast. Mac was reading a book about metal and Wurster calls in and fucks with him pretending to be the bassist from some cock rock band that was featured in it. Hilarious call but I can't find it in the gems archive and I know it was there at one point. Those don't get deleted over time right?

Also, the ban is long over. We need a new thread title.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 7, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^At least he's not Jim Gaffigan.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Yes what should I new title be? Also, how do I change the title or can only a mod do it?

I see 3 new posts and immediately think Tom has finally called it quits.

Edit: Is this the one? http://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=1&show=33849&archive=57210

"How many pull-ups can you do?"

Haha. That's it. I wonder why it's not on iTunes anymore?

I vote to change the thread title to: You just got Badcompanied.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh man I can't wait to listen to this tomorrow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My money says countin the billies was the guy asking for shoe gaze recommendations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Something should go in the op about Tom fake quitting every week because people keep half believing it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

No I was the guy who hadn't seen Rudy.

Nice. You spawned a pretty hilarious synopsis of Rudy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, but he'll be back. He always is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

Didn't he say a few weeks back that they were doing 15 more Best Shows? His tone and the way he said it sounded pretty drat sincere to me. I've heard him talk about quitting plenty of times and this was not like the usual "Geez, I think this is my last show, Mike." Not sure if that 15 more shows thing means he's going to take a break and then do the rest or what, but I don't think that was 15 weeks ago. I mean, he's been doing the show for over 10 years. I don't think it's completely out of the question that he would want to hang it up.

This is pretty much why I was saying something about it should be in the op.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

As in I'm taking an offhand comment to be true or as in because he said it sincerely? Because like I said, what he said a few weeks ago was nowhere near like what he usually says.

The former. It sounds just like his usual schtick to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not on twitter. Recap?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol Mike managed to out-skeeve out Larry when he started talking about getting horny over Olympic gymnasts. "Dere pretty young dere Mike."

That episode was surprisingly good, mostly because Jason,Gregualtor, and Fredricks all called in with good calls.

Ha. he totally did.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 28, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a non Zappa fan I always assumed Jazz Fart was a real song until a friend called me out on it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was getting sick of Gary too, but last weeks show re-sold me on him. Like him or not, If other Best Show gimmicks are any indication, he probably isn't going to be around for more than a few more months. Tom runs poo poo into the ground all of the time then pretty much never mentions it again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm usually always on team scharpling but it's ridiculously childish that he frequently makes public passive aggressive comments about PFT and then refuses to say what even happened.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I agree. I was just saying Tom needs to stop bringing it up on his show and on twitter if wants people to leave it alone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a reason that they can't just reschedule the record fair for next month?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chuck Woolery was too dumb to even stick a link in the tweet. I'd love to see the source for his claim because I am sure it's something taken hilariously out of context.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 23, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol http://jeshirt.bigcartel.com/

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 29, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What happened?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, I thought his dog died again or something. I don't get why he even lets Zack talk anymore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

What's with the freaking Austin Powers drops?

Seriously. I am guessing that it's some post Sandy equipment wonkiness or some very very weird joke.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think you may have listed the wrong time or date because he isn't playing any songs around that time. He is on a pretty funny rant though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Heh, I'm listening to the first episode (that is available ) and it's like watching something from the first season of the Simpsons. Everything is there, but it's all sort of off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

He sounds exactly like Fred Stoller, so thats my theory.

Spike sounds more like a gay Droopy Dog than anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXT7thyvhcs