Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought the S&M dungeon was just an invention of Tom's? Spike pretending to read from Weirdos Exposed was one the funniest moments on the show ever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow, that just made me realize how long that dude has been calling in. I've been a regular listening for at least 6 or 7 years and now that I think about it Spike was already his current self.

Also, I don't know if people are joking when they question if he a character or not, but he's most defiantly is a real person. A bunch of people have met him at WFMU events.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

Came here to post this and ask if there is a way to download so I can put in on my iPhone. All I can find is streaming of the WFMU website.

You can stream or download off of the WFMU app.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GraPar posted:

The AV Club comments on this article about him mocking AV Club comments are great in terms of how humourlessly they take it.

Hahaha. That's pretty great.

I hope he brings back the slide whistle in the future. I completely lost it at work during that part and everyone was looking at me like I was crazy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This weeks episode is one of the funniest in a while. My favorite part of the show is when Tom rambles and makes fun of everything and there is a hell of a lot of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If Scharpling made fun of how unfunny goons are with a slide whistle it would make my day. Especially if he was reading something I wrote. I don't know why those guys are so butthurt about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Prank magazine had named me prank wizard 2 years in a row.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wasn't expecting such chemistry between monster magnet and Matt Fraction. I thought it was a drat good episode even if it wasn't one of the funnier ones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like such a piece of crap for listening for 6 years and never pledging. The drive always seems to come around when I am dead broke. One of these days I am just going to unload like $200 on WFMU when I actually have some money.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh god I lost I'm front of everyone at work when he was making fun of Game of Thrones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GraPar posted:

(Oh yeah, Nathan For You really is fantastic by the way).

You aint kidding. I just checked it out tonight and it's loving hilarious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

IS there a new episode? I couldn't find it on iTunes or the WFMU app but I don't remember any Salo talk so maybe it just hasn't been uploaded yet?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A couple of months ago Tom played a song by Giorgio Moroder and I can't remember what it was called. Anyone remember what the song was or which episode it was on?

also, this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKo4cNJHhLY

"everyone knows the best show is a sausage party. Let's bring in some tacos Oprah style."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sweet, thanks! I looked for that drat song for an hour this morning.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hope Nathan Fielder starts calling in more. I love that dude, but he pretty much just calls in to talk about his show. I hope he doesn't just disappear after promoting himself like Jim Gaffigan does.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha that is awesome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

The Scharpling and Heidecker exchange happening on Twitter is amazing

:lol: I straight up thought that was real until I saw what it was about.

Edit: I mean, It's not real right :pwn: ? I can't even loving tell with Tom anymore.

Edit2 : Never mind there is no way that power point thing or the Transformers parody is serious. loving amazing troll though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 19, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just chill out and act like you are enjoying a nice cool yerba mate from circle of drinks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I started watching the first episode of under the dome and I can't stop chuckling at Nathan Fielder asking Tom if someone farts in the dome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They only upload them if it's someone filling in for Tom (Hatch/Depravity's Rainbow). If there is no episode it was probably just a DJ playing music in place of the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh weird. That sucks they didn't upload it, I would have definitely checked it out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What was the clip from where it's some psycho going off about how cops should be able to execute random "animals"?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Wow, this week's episode might be the worst one I've ever heard.

Why? Is Tom just getting angry at all the callers for being boring again like last week? I haven't listened to it yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate to say it but I am REALLY over Gary the Squirrel. That voice is literally the most grating noise I have ever heard and Tom has just run that character into the loving ground at this point. It was funny for maybe the first week or so, but it's seriously been like 2 years now I just want to fast forward through the Gary parts at this point.

Also, agreed that was one of the worst episodes in years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a friend that runs a bar and tries to get a listening party together a couple of weeks ago on the night that there was no Best Show. I guess one of the guys that showed up was from out of town and was friends with Tom. Tom ended up calling them and thanking them for having the party and apologized for not doing a show that night. Pretty cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh man :( I haven't even listened to the episode yet, but this is a lot to take in. I haven't missed an episode in nearly 7 years and it's become way more than just a show to me. Like, it's just become part of life. I kind of thought he was just going to keep doing it forever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

Honestly I hadn't even thought of how I wouldn't hear Wurster being an amazing weirdo anymore since I first heard the news of Tom's retirement from the Best Show. Now I'm sad all over again.

I would say the chances of them not continuing to do Sharpling and Wurster bits are slim to none. They'd probably just be released sporadically as albums on iTunes these days. I think they have actually been doing that schtick since before the best show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

My hazy recollection of their history from an interview from Tom I read is that it started during the Best Show era. Their first bit, which eventually became famous from an album release, was Wurster rating celebrities and bands with a really silly metric, and pissing a bunch of callers on live radio with it. I wish I could remember the name of the bit, but it's very similar to "Biz, Buzz, or Bust".

It was called Rock Rot and Rule and it's loving hilarious. It's one of the only mixes of actual callers and Wurster bits out there. He pretended to be an author who wrote a book rating what bands sucked and what bands didn't with no credentials and trolled a bunch of music nerds that called in.

Didn't know if that was the first thing they did or not, but either way it's worth mentioning because it's great.

Edit: It's also one of the only times you will hear one of their bits before everyone was in on the joke. It was more of a straight up troll than just a comedy sketch.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 2, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else just planning on starting over from the beginning and listening to one show a week for the next 13 years?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 13, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GraPar posted:

Tom beginning to Bad Company a second grader on this show just made me laugh so hard. Amazing run of terrible callers.

Holy poo poo, Jason from Huntsville, Alabama is in studio, pretty easily the best regular caller of recent years.

Saw a pic of that on AP Mikes facebook. Jason looks absolutely nothing like I expected. I guess that is always the case with radio though. Who would have ever thought Spike looked like Wesley Willis?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That video Kurt Vile was talking about really is the best loving thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqY6mXULzpw

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

I like Todd Barry as a comedian, but I hate him as a guest on the Show because he literally only has one joke, and that joke is to relentlessly plug his own poo poo. It just gets old. Hopefully he ceded the floor a bit and just relaxed and was funny given that the show is literally coming to an end, because if not, I'm going to be annoyed that he was allowed to waste half an hour or whatever out of the final 9 hours of the Show we'll ever get.

He is still not as bad as Jim Gaffigan. The dude literally has never contributed anything to the Best Show outside of calling in and being unfunny and advertising his poo poo.

In other news, what the gently caress happened to Ted Leo? He hasn't been on or even been mentioned by Tom in years and he used to be such a big part of the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Years? It's been 11 months (he was at the 4loko Christmas party last year.)

Ted has been touring and (I think) recording this year, so it's not that strange.

4 loko Christmas party was 3 years ago.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh. My bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that he is involved in something TV related that got picked up or just got genuinely tired of doing the best show for no pay every week . No way in hell he's gonna bust out a podcast.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the coheed and cambria dude

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aw he thanked pft :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I remember that call. I think it spawned a bit of a rant and him bringing up Rudy a couple of times to make fun of it over the course of the next month or so didn't it?

Asterios posted:

A few Christmases ago, I released an audio archive of Tom singing songs live on the air. For easier listening, I put it up on SoundCloud. From "Wise Up" to "Celluloid Heroes," here's every spontaneous Scharpling song moment I could find back in 2010!

https://soundcloud.com/asteriosk/sets/tom-sings-toms-best-tunes-from

All by myself is 100% the best.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 20, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish he hadn't run Action and Blockbuster into the ground so much though. I don't think I'll be able to listen to either of them for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You know what I really want? A best show archives phone app. Just give me every episode in a convenient app and I will gladly pay money for it. I want to just have access to every episode at my whim without dealing with the old eps that only play in VLC and I can't even fast forward or anything.

Even better make it so you could tag certain parts of episodes with the best rants/callers/Wurster bit's so people could vote them up or whatever. I wish I had app making ability so I could pitch this because it needs to be made.