Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
You have to play this mp3 whenever you read the thread:
http://friendsoftom.com/themecontest/thepeoplestheme.mp3

This isn't the good or the great show. It's the BEST show. With Tom Scharpling.

Via Wikipedia:
The Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling is a combination music, call-in, and comedy radio show hosted by Tom Scharpling on New Jersey-based radio station WFMU. The show's slogan is "Three hours of mirth, music, and mayhem."

The Best Show first aired on October 10, 2000, occupying the 9pm-11pm time slot. Starting June 5, 2001, the show was expanded to three hours, filling the 8pm-11pm slot. A worldwide audience listens to the show live through WFMU's Internet stream, and many episodes are also archived on the radio station's website. The Best Show began podcasting its shows, with the music removed due to licensing restrictions, on January 26, 2006.

The show has listeners and callers around the world, from the United States and Canada, to as far afield as the U.K., Sweden, Japan, New Zealand, and Tasmania. Regular callers and in-studio guests of note include Paul F. Tompkins, Todd Barry, Aimee Mann, Ted Leo, John Hodgman, and Patton Oswalt.

Currently, the regular callers have been banned because many would take the novella-route in their calls and contribute little to the show. Though the ban was almost over, Wally Wackiman, a regular caller and a marionette of dubious repute, wagered that his call to the show would redeem the regular callers. However, the plan backfired incredibly, becoming one of the worst regular caller phone calls in living memory. The ban was then reinstated, from the beginning.

Want to get into the show? Well, unless you have the time to listen to this 3-hour weekly show that began when Clinton was in office, the beginning isn't really the best place. I suggest you start with a few episodes from the past couple of years. Anything with guests you know, but especially the Juggalo episode with PFT. An astounding amount of references (11-years worth) will fly at you and some you will get and most you won't. But it's like a really dense, enjoyable novel: with repeated listens, you'll get more. And it is so, so worth it.

Homepage:
http://www.friendsoftom.com/
Archives:
http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/BS
A FOT (Friend of Tom) realtime draws the Best Show:
http://catiefromatlanta.tumblr.com/

At least once every show Tom says he's done, that this is the last show. Stay calm: he's only kidding.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
To be honest, I've never really been a fan of the Wurster-Scharpling dialogues. I just tune-in for the callers and Tom's stories, mostly.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Yeah during the Best Show Live Chat, Spike is always posting lovely liberal macros. I hope he calls into the show again soon. I need his latest take on Jenny from the Bedroom. His rule under the ban right now is, if I remember right, he has to be entertaining within 20 seconds or he's hung up on.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Looks like Todd Barry is gonna be on tonight, per Tom's Twitter feed.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Tom directed a trailer for John Hodgman's new book. It's very funny.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4cc168ca62/that-is-all

He's a very good director.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I'll believe when I hear it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Why did Tom throw Nick DiPaolo into the Hate Pit? Was it because he made fun of Tom's sweatshirt?

Tom was also on the Chris Gethard show last night. It's pretty bad but he's great: http://thechrisgethardshow.com/.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 4, 2011

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I gotta hear more about Vance's story before I start to like him. Digging that he's a huge prog-rock fan. Sounds like a bona fide goon already.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Another great show last night. Tom is really good at build-a-movie.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Meh best show was just okay last night.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Billy Gnosis posted:

I don't think any episode with both an extended call by Philly Boy Roy and Vance can be "just okay" (That and the hang up on the kid was glorious this week).

You're right. Really a mediocre Best Show is better than 90% of other podcasts (or radio shows). I guess my main gripe was the lovely callers that were the majority of the show. PBR, Vance, the Canadian Glenn Back, and Jen Kirkman were great.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Holiday party tonight. Everybody tune in! Should be crazy.

I thought it was Kevin Smith who wrote the letter. Now, I have no idea... I guess there was a bit of a falling out between Tom and PFT over the new show that isn't happening anymore. Sucks, I hope they get over it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

According to the FOT boards, there's really no evidence of this besides the fact that PFT and Scharpling aren't following each other on Twitter anymore and Tom keeps leaving out the Pod F. Tompkast out of his approved podcasts.

AP Mike also heavily hinted that there was a rift in the chat last week.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Yannick_B posted:

What did he say?

Well, I'm gonna respect Tom's privacy and not get into it. I'll just say some real creeps on another board also noticed that Tom and PFT's significant others also stopped following each other. FOTs are creepy.

Anyway, 2012 Best Show! Onward and upward!

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Wally calling in was awesome. "Woolly Allen." Greggulator is insane. I mean, he used to wear an orange jumpsuit in high school! I hope him and Wally meet in studio sometime.

Edit: Losing the voice. LOSING THE VOICE.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 12, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Great show yesterday. Listened to half of it live and finished the rest just now. I could listen to Gary the Squirrel berate Mike all day.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Scharpling's impressions:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1488942/TomScharpling-Impressions.mp3

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
The dangling acorn is hilarious and the whole visual of Gary is amazing.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Wow, they broke $100k. Last year they got ~$60k. That's an increase of 66.7%!

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Looks like Comedy Central didn't pick up Tom's pilot. So that's 2 pilots CC has skipped out on. Sucks.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

NESguerilla posted:

Nice. He went off on Kevin Smith AND Gene Simmons in the same episode. They are two of my favorite people to hear him rag on.

Does anyone remember when Kevin Smith was on the show a few years ago? It was the most hilariously awkward thing I have ever heard and Tom was pretending to be a huge fan. If you haven't heard it I recommend checking i out.

ahahaha I did not hear this and I have to hear it now.

Edit: I think it's May 5 2009: http://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=31351&archive=52057

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

SansWetware posted:

Tonight on The Best Show: CHRIS ELLIOTT, JASON WOLINER, JIM GAFFIGAN and more. Just tweeted by Tom. Gonna be awesome.

Holy poo poo

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Tom responded to an email I sent him today! So happy. :)

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Wow, last week's show didn't get into the best on Podmass? With all those great guests? Insane.

It took me a while to get into Wurster. I thought he was just a prank caller whom Tom kept goading until I realized it was a bit.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

SansWetware posted:

"Comedian TODD BARRY calls in for an on-air Twitter war! Mit Hamine's album finally breaks! Terrence Shropshire calls about life in "Da Bumble" and his new venture! Bath salt comedy! Mike reviews Kevin Smith's audio book! And Gary opens his mailbag!"

I am a little late to this one but I can only imagine "Gary opens his mailbag" will be rewarding.

It is. I'm not a fan of Todd Barry and his call on the show did not convince me otherwise.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

NESguerilla posted:

I think they jumped the shark on Tuesday. I thought the whole thing was entertaining for a while but they are just being irritating trolls now. It was weird, because it sounded like they genuinely flustered Tom a bit by the end of the show.

To be fair Tom has been really mean to that Zach dude since day one though. Their band is really horrible but I think Tom kind of created this monster.

In other news, the Chubby Checker thing had me crying. Tom has been on roll with his rants lately.

Hey Fats Domino, I got bad news. Are you sitting down? Do you have your calm down plate of mash potatoes on you?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
All hail the King of Free Media!

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Scharpling did another show with Maron, $2.99.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-marc-and-tom-show/id531038918

Haven't heard yet but it's well worth it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Yeah I thought it had been in a lull since Tom went on vaca and last show really flipped the switch. I love when comedians sit in with Tom.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Tom wasn't in tonight? NOOOooo. I never listen when he isn't there. Didn't really dig last Tuesday's show except for Philly Boy Roy. Tom seemed spent.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

WoG posted:

He'd been fighting with station management for a while, trying to dump AP Mike. He finally had enough and gave them an ultimatum, and they elected not to re-up his contract, once it runs out in a few months. I'll be sorry to see him go.

MIKE :argh:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Hold my funnel cake, son. Daddy's got some business to take care of.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Last night's episode was great. Was laughing my head off at Tom and AP Mike's Breaking Bad/Three Stooges bit.

YES! I loved the sound effects.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

NESguerilla posted:

Hey, maybe one of you guys can help me find something I was looking for. It was a call from the little kid Mac and it was/is featured in the Gems podcast. Mac was reading a book about metal and Wurster calls in and fucks with him pretending to be the bassist from some cock rock band that was featured in it. Hilarious call but I can't find it in the gems archive and I know it was there at one point. Those don't get deleted over time right?

Also, the ban is long over. We need a new thread title.

Yes what should I new title be? Also, how do I change the title or can only a mod do it?

I see 3 new posts and immediately think Tom has finally called it quits.

Edit: Is this the one? http://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=1&show=33849&archive=57210

"How many pull-ups can you do?"

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 7, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Ugh Todd Barry. Snore-fest. All he does is plug his dates.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I just called in for the first time. Was super nervous but it went okay. Didn't get heave-ho'd.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
You'll live, my pet.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

NESguerilla posted:

My money says countin the billies was the guy asking for shoe gaze recommendations.

No I was the guy who hadn't seen Rudy.

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Albini call was so drat bizarre

Yeah. It was really odd. They almost hung-up on each other. Two big egos.

That's why they call me BAD COMPANY and I can't deny.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 18, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I usually skip the non-Tom shows. Tuned in last Tuesday and snore city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Is the best show on for tonight? Looks like it from the WFMU schedule...