Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Yannick_B posted:

While plugging that interview on twitter, Jon Wurster said there was no Best Show tonight (probably because Tom is off shooting a TV pilot!!).

Yeah its going to be another Therese and Mike "Depravity's Rainbow" episode, which was OK last time, but definitely not the Best Show. I think last time Mike talked about his shoplifting days which was entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Front loaded and short Jon Wurster, oh well.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I just don't know what to think about Vance. I think I actually prefer Skeevy.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

If anyone else is listening now, Its so stupid but I haven't laughed as hard as I did about that Peter/Bob Seeger call in awhile. He just got so mad.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Meh best show was just okay last night.

I don't think any episode with both an extended call by Philly Boy Roy and Vance can be "just okay" (That and the hang up on the kid was glorious this week).

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

A "High Back Chairs" reference, did not see that coming. Hope they make it back OK.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Maarak posted:

Y'all Begone Pond is the best thing.

That's what I thought until these impressions.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Sounds like Hatch is hosting this week, I vaguely remember it being entertaining the last time he did it. (I'm not usually a fan of "Depravity's Rainbow" )

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Didn't hear my name, but I gladly pledged. Remember that there is a streaming video feed on wfmu.org

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Pancake Day is a Fat Tuesday thing, I can't remember which denomination. The Anglicans? ..
Edit: I need a calendar. That would make it last week sometime

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I am enjoying The Hatch Batch trolling Zach from Mit Hamine way more than I should.

Edit: And he blows it, awesome

Edit 2: Even without Tom, this is one of the best episodes of the past few months.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 14, 2012

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Was that Zach from Mit Hamine at the end (saying that the best show sucks) ?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Het posted:

I don't think it was but it's entirely possible? I don't recall his phone being that bad or his voice being that low

I vaguely remember him calling in before doing a deep voice thing and then admitting in his normal voice it was Zach from Mit Hamine, that is what it reminded me of but I have to admit it could have been anyone doing a fake sounding deep voice. Though really who would wait on hold 45 min just to say the show is terrible?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

SansWetware posted:

"Comedian TODD BARRY calls in for an on-air Twitter war! Mit Hamine's album finally breaks! Terrence Shropshire calls about life in "Da Bumble" and his new venture! Bath salt comedy! Mike reviews Kevin Smith's audio book! And Gary opens his mailbag!"

I am a little late to this one but I can only imagine "Gary opens his mailbag" will be rewarding.

I listened to this live, but don't remember the album actually breaking but I was kind of tuning in and out. (I do remember some of the late friends of Mit Hamine calls). Anyone have a rough time-stamp / part of the show for it happening? I can't seem to find it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

This week is Depravity's Rainbow instead of the normal show. I haven't liked it the past few times, would have much preferred "The Hatch Patch". I think its something about the lack of energy when its Mike and Terese.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Another Tomless week apparently. Hosted by Hatch this time, last time it was pretty entertaining as I've said previously, but the Low Times crew won't be there this time I think.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

If anything I think the guest hosts are more there for the people who listen on the radio than the podcast audience.

Yeah, WFMU needs to air something during that time slot. Maybe we'll get lucky and something interesting will happen or a caller will melt down again

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

What an amazing Wurster call right now.

It was really good, but I think I was and am still a bit more worried about Chris Gethard's terrible plan to get to Bonnaroo.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

This week lacked Tom, but drunk Mike doing Skeevy never fails to amuse me. Also, I'm never going to think of Mike the same way. I think Skeevy talking about Mike's sexual awakening is the most disturbing thing I've heard on this show.

Edit: "Oh my god, there was a child listening through that".

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

The time travel call was definitely one of his best ever.

For some reason the name "Chubland Checker" still cracks me up when I think about it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

binky the doormat posted:

Great Jon Wurster call last night. Just two completely different, insane stories (the Van Morrison/John Mellencamp cruise and the Howard Cosell hardcore punk movie) that still somehow compliment each other and are both signature Wurster. As far as I'm concerned the man is a comic genius.

Yeah, I really was itching to re-listen to it today. The real question however, is how long till the guy from Mit Hamine blows it again? Next week?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Last night's episode was great. Was laughing my head off at Tom and AP Mike's Breaking Bad/Three Stooges bit.

I think I honestly would watch "Cables"

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I just called in for the first time. Was super nervous but it went okay. Didn't get heave-ho'd.

Thanks for explaining how "As The World Turns" ends.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Holy poo poo, Steve Albini. Thats all I have to say

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

This week is definitely an episode of "Depravity's Rainbow with Therese and Mike " . Which is a shame, since I find Hatch fill-in weeks to be more entertaining.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Hatch is filling in this week, so I guess we'll have to hope he smolders on it for at least another week.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I usually skip the non-Tom shows. Tuned in last Tuesday and snore city.

The Mike and Therese hosted ones are usually pretty low key, but the Hatch hosted ones aren't always, it depends on who else is there (if anyone). [Both (?) times the low times crew were there were great] Of course both are a million times more dependent on the callers (especially since a Jon Wurster bit isn't going to be on the table).

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

het posted:

BTW, anyone thinking of listening, Hatch and Mike are apparently currently in the car on their way to Mike's place to install a ceiling fan (on the radio). Mike keeps playing Steely Dan.

"Shanghai-ed!" The show always needs more Massas

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

No best show this week:
This week only: Todd-o-phonic Todd
Special: Todd-o-phonic Todd fills in for the Best Show

So potentially not even a "Best Show" style show either.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Good show last week too.

I think I'm getting a little sick of Gary the Squirrel. Or at least I find it more funny when he's ripping into Mike vs "Comedians Are Nuts" but I suppose it was a special case of Kurt needing to advertise the last HotTub show.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

MaoistBanker posted:

Speaking of FZ, this week's gem features Bryce tormenting Tom with his Zappa memories. This is easily one of the funniest bits I've ever heard on the show, the legend of "Jazz Fart".

I hadn't heard this before, and I think I really wish "Jazz Fart" was a real song. The little bit of Jon Wurster singing it keeps on getting stuck in my head

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Probably won't be a show tonight:
From WFMU's website:

"The Storm has taken out power at our studios and BOTH our 91.1 and 90.1 fm transmitters, so WFMU is now completely silent. As soon as power is restored we will get back on the air. Thanks for the many well wishers and we hope to be providing glorious radio over the FM airwaves soon. Fortunately everybody is safe and the WFMU basement is still miraculously dry. More updates will be posted right here."

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I'm trying to listen to all the Best Show Gems. So good. The first Philly Boy Roy appearance doesn't sound like him at all really.

Wait WHHAAAAAAAT?

Also, judging by twitter there should be an episode tonight in some capacity. Can't wait. I unfortunately expect that Mit Hamine guy to call in though (Probably can't "Bad Company" with the state WFMU is in right now)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

het posted:

Dear lord, this Zack from Mit Hamine call is so completely absurdly bad, I died laughing at the end

Im assuming everyone else saw the fact he went straight to plugging his record from a mile away right?

(Also I need to dig up the episode where he calls in when Hatch, Maggie, and Daniel were hosting and he spectacularly flames out and he wasn't "trolling" either )

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 5, 2012

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

het posted:

Honestly I was anticipating Tom hanging up as soon as he gave the goahead

If anything, I was thinking "Bad Company" with practically no delay like he started to do earlier in the call

edit: Man, I really think those two callers got under Tom's skin tonight.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 5, 2012

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

For a while it just felt easier to believe that Zach from Mit Hamine had this sort of unmodulated bit--the thing was a schtick but he wasnt able to entirely shade it in the right way...but then Tom gives him two minutes and it was the mother of flame-outs. The way his voice started to crack without talking back to Tom was sort of amazing and equally maddening.

What a weird shitstain--it felt like Tom was actually going to curse at him.

I can't tell how much of his political stuff is trolling anymore. Or really any of his actions. He definitely probably has the biggest ego of any of the callers.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Oh man. Poor Tom...

Its a "Depravity's Rainbow" fill-in show this week. :ohdear:

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

What happened?

Back to back awful calls that sounded like they really affected Tom. I think its with around an hour left last week. (So just what we are talking about above. I'm sure he's fine / this has nothing to do with it)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I can't imagine he would after this time.

Which with Mike hosting tonight, do you think his ego will make him call in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Amazing holiday show this week.

Really sums it up: