Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

This seems like probably the most appropriate thread to bitch about this: Avery, my favorite brewery in Colorado, has decided that since the market is growing faster in other states than in Arizona, they're not going to distribute here anymore :smith:

They were some of the first beer I genuinely liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

I like turtles posted:

This seems like probably the most appropriate thread to bitch about this: Avery, my favorite brewery in Colorado, has decided that since the market is growing faster in other states than in Arizona, they're not going to distribute here anymore :smith:

They were some of the first beer I genuinely liked.

They pulled out of AZ like 8 months ago. You just didn't notice because the distributors here in AZ are loving awful and "deliver" really old, often returned for being too old, product to retailers who don't know any better. Often times they flat out lie and say they just got it in.
IE a local quality bottle shop got a shipment of the Alaskan Smoked Porter in not long after it was released. They ordered 3 cases and what showed up was 2 cases of 2011 and 1 case of 2009.
This is but a minor grievance compared to much of the other stupid poo poo they do.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Offering: Three Floyd's XV Baller Stout
Want: Firestone Walker 12 and 13.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I did a massive overhaul of my cellar list because managing multiple lists has gotten to be a major PITA.

Oh yeah, the stuff I'm hunting for currently.
BCS Rare
Three Floyds XV Anniversary Baller Stout
Three Floyds Barrel Aged Dark Lord (I'll put down a lot for this)
Smuttynose Baltic Porter
Any Bruery Barrel Aged beers I don't already have

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 6, 2011

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

okay, just looked and found this. $14 isn't a bad price when you consider how much material you'd need to properly pack that many bottles otherwise.

Awesome, thank you. I ended up getting one of those and a couple of the 6 packs too so I can have something on hand for future trades.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Docjowles posted:

Awesome, thank you. I ended up getting one of those and a couple of the 6 packs too so I can have something on hand for future trades.

nice! a quick tip: U-Haul boxes are sometimes kinda flimsy, so you might want to throw an extra layer or two of cardboard inside of the bottom of the box so a random corner won't poke through and break the styrofoam.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

rage-saq posted:

I did a massive overhaul of my cellar list because managing multiple lists has gotten to be a major PITA.

Oh yeah, the stuff I'm hunting for currently.
BCS Rare
Three Floyds XV Anniversary Baller Stout
Three Floyds Barrel Aged Dark Lord (I'll put down a lot for this)
Smuttynose Baltic Porter
Any Bruery Barrel Aged beers I don't already have

There are some things on there that I'd be interested in. Most of them fall into the probably not category, but BCS Rare and '07 BCS are up for grabs. The Lost Abbey and Pizza Port "Probably Not", as well as the Consecration. I don't know what probably not means though.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Just wanted to say Zam is a great trader and should be applauded.

I can't wait to get into this delicious West Coast beer.

The only thing missing is a Alesmith IPA which I've already had. It was hilariously flat but I still enjoyed it.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 7, 2011

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I was starting to run out of room and had to get a new shelf for the cellar...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Anybody interested in Jolly Pumpkin La Roja Grand Reserve or Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead the Fifth?

They were both released over the weekend and I have some extras to trade.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 11, 2011

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Corbet posted:

Anybody interested in Jolly Pumpkin La Roja Grand Reserve or Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead the Fifth?

yes, especially the former, but i'm not sure i have anything equally spectacular to trade.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

yes, especially the former, but i'm not sure i have anything equally spectacular to trade.

Actually, I'll trade a bottle for Blushing Monk.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Corbet posted:

La Roja Grand Reserve? Where do I sign up?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

rage-saq posted:

La Roja Grand Reserve? Where do I sign up?

I got 8 with all my mug club credit :cool:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

After watching this thread for a while, it finally motivated me to get my cellar in order. List should be complete right now, still need to go back on some of the beers and see if I can nail down some dates for them. A top level summary right now would be

ISO: 3 Floyds Dark Lord, Founders KBS / CBS
FT: Firestone Walker 14 / Abacus, bunch of aged Dogfish and Unibroue

Post / PM me if you're interested.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I just started to get into microbrews... and I really really want to try one of the Pliny's, but none are available anywhere close to OH.

I'm going to do my best to start saving up some of the nice seasonals from around here in hopes of being able to trade for them one day. I live in Akron, OH... about to go up to Hoppin Frog to see if they have any Barrel Aged BORIS Royale lying around when I'm free this week...

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Kudosx posted:

I just started to get into microbrews... and I really really want to try one of the Pliny's, but none are available anywhere close to OH.

I'm going to do my best to start saving up some of the nice seasonals from around here in hopes of being able to trade for them one day. I live in Akron, OH... about to go up to Hoppin Frog to see if they have any Barrel Aged BORIS Royale lying around when I'm free this week...

I have a bottle of pliny that I'll trade you. I'll want to send it this week, though.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Imasalmon posted:

I have a bottle of pliny that I'll trade you. I'll want to send it this week, though.

No problem! PM'd you back.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cael posted:

After watching this thread for a while, it finally motivated me to get my cellar in order. List should be complete right now, still need to go back on some of the beers and see if I can nail down some dates for them. A top level summary right now would be

ISO: 3 Floyds Dark Lord, Founders KBS / CBS
FT: Firestone Walker 14 / Abacus, bunch of aged Dogfish and Unibroue

Post / PM me if you're interested.

Hey, sent you a PM about the CBS. Do you have a BA/RB profile with a history of trades? Mine is here, I've also done some with goons/see the GWS beer thread.

Jabel
Aug 5, 2006

Three little letters, 300 Horsepower
Debating getting into the whole trading scene. Just picked up some Eclipse variants today (2x EC18/4Rose/Grand Cru) plus I live in San Francisco and have access to any Russian River and all that lovely west coast stuff.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Jack Skeleton posted:

Looking to see if anyone has access to or has Great Divide Barrel Aged Yeti or Barrel Aged BORIS Royale from Hoppin' Frog.

I went to Hoppin Frog earlier today and was told they will probably never brew Barrel Aged BORIS Royale again :(

I wish you the best of luck finding some, it sounds delicious!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I plan on hitting up Kuhnhenn's Winter Solstice 2011 on Wednesday where they'll be releasing the following in bottles:

Duvil in Ms. Jones
Bourbon Barrel Aged Fourth Dementia
Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine
Fourth Dementia Olde Ale
Tenacious Cassis (1- 6oz bottle per person)
Vintage Ale
Dark Heathen Triple Bock
Solar Eclipse Imperial Stout
Winter Wonder Lager
Cherry Olde Brune
Nine
Metry’s Winter Lager

---

A lot of these beers are pretty sought after (Kuhnhenn doesn't really distribute bottles) and if anybody is interesting, I wouldn't mind picking something specific up if someone wants to trade for some.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

If anyone has interest in The Bruery Smoking Wood or Trois Poules Francais please let me know. Can add other beers as well to make it a larger trade.

FT: Smoking Wood and/or Trois Poules Francais

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just picked up a Duchese de Bourgogne for $8. Reviews say it's a pretty common and great beer, ala St. Bernardus. The cork says it expires Jan 2012. Does anyone know how long it was since it was bottled? I'm wondering if I stumbled on an aged collection of this beer. Its a Flemish brown, and as a sour I'm hoping it aged well. I'll try it tomorrow, and if I like it I can get a case at $5 per 750ml.

Any experiences?

Mean to post in beer talk thread but this should do...

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Corbet posted:

I have a bunch of good stuff (MN and WI especially, Surly, New Glarus, etc) that I'd trade for BA Plead the 5th.

Haven't done any trades through here yet, but have done plenty on BA back when that was the thing to do.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Zam posted:

If anyone has interest in The Bruery Smoking Wood or Trois Poules Francais please let me know. Can add other beers as well to make it a larger trade.

Definitely interested in Smoking Wood. Here is my inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkhmBCpKR1ufdC1FdnZsWmxiWWp1bGdqNWhrVkhWTXc

I can also get any of the Texas beers. Jester King and Southern Star are doing some really cool things.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."
This looks like a really great way to ship beer. It's similar to the shippers at BevMo and the like but cheaper and can be bought online. They are $10 for 5 shippers and boxes. Each one holds 6 bombers or 12 oz bottles. Anyone use these before? I'm planning on trying them soon. https://www.clarkbrewing.com

digitalhifi fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 26, 2011

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

digitalhifi posted:

This looks like a really great way to ship beer. It's similar to the shippers at BevMo and the like but cheaper and can be bought online. They are $10 for 5 shippers and boxes. Each one holds 6 bombers or 12 oz bottles. Anyone use these before? I'm planning on trying them soon. https://www.clarkbrewing.com

I've used both versions of them, they fall apart and aren't very good which lead to them breaking. They are also not much cheaper than the styrofoam shippers which are highly superior.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zam posted:

You had Trois Poules Francais yet? I have some bottles on the way, sounds pretty interesting and I *loved* the original Three French Hens.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

digitalhifi posted:

never used them, but i work in packing and shipping and i think they look pretty crappy. as rage-saq said, find a styrofoam shipper (or bubble-wrap and double-box your beer).

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I've been thinking of setting up a goon trader spreadsheet that does a few things.

1: Your username here, and maybe on RB/BA if you care
2: Link to your cellar/want list
3: Trade history
4: contact info?

What do you guys think?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

rage-saq posted:

I've been thinking of setting up a goon trader spreadsheet that does a few things.

1: Your username here, and maybe on RB/BA if you care
2: Link to your cellar/want list
3: Trade history
4: contact info?

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't say no to that. I know it'd be a lot easier to search for a beer, for example, and see who has one up for trade vs traipsing through various gDocs and the like.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

wattershed posted:

I wouldn't say no to that. I know it'd be a lot easier to search for a beer, for example, and see who has one up for trade vs traipsing through various gDocs and the like.

It wouldn't be some kind of tradable beer database, that would be an astronomical amount of work. It would just have a link to somebodies gDoc spreadsheet(s) if they have one.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I made a trade on BA and got a package from Connecticut today!

The guy printed his own FedEx label and declared the weight as 17 pounds when it was really about 35 pounds. He says sometimes they will send it and sometimes they'll re-weigh it and adjust the price. Do any of you do this? It's a bit dishonest, so I'm not entirely sure I'm gonna do it in the future.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sublimer posted:

The guy printed his own FedEx label and declared the weight as 17 pounds when it was really about 35 pounds. He says sometimes they will send it and sometimes they'll re-weigh it and adjust the price. Do any of you do this? It's a bit dishonest, so I'm not entirely sure I'm gonna do it in the future.

That's a pretty lovely thing to do, especially when you are already shipping out something they don't want you to ship. Maybe if he had done it a couple of pounds under, but half the entire weight? Really?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Sirotan posted:

That's a pretty lovely thing to do, especially when you are already shipping out something they don't want you to ship. Maybe if he had done it a couple of pounds under, but half the entire weight? Really?

Yeah thats pretty hosed up. Good way to get on their shitlist which probably means they pay closer attention to your packages and you might get them confiscated.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Sublimer posted:

if there's a discrepancy between the billed and actual weight (or size), he should be seeing adjustments on his statement from FedEx. sometimes, especially with ground packages, the discrepancy isn't enough to change the cost, but if he's intentionally doing that, yeah, kind of a dick move.

edit- Drayman's Porter is fantastic, that would be a go-to if i lived in New England

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If anybody is looking for some Bell's Hopslam, I shouldn't have any issues sending some to anybody who is interested. I'm looking for the following:

-Cash (because shipping/buying beers can get expensive, and I'm fine buying beers and shipping them out for little profit, if any)
-Cascade Brewery (Multiples of Apricot Ale, Sang Royal, Kriek Ale)
-Brasserie Fantôme (pretty much anything)
-3 Fonteinen (pretty much anything)
-Cantillon (pretty much anything)
-Captain Lawrence (pretty much anything)
-Cigar City (pretty much anything)

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 2, 2012

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
Wait, is hopslam out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Wait, is hopslam out?

Not yet, but potentially in a week or so.

• Locked thread