Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I'm looking for pliny the elder or younger. I'm willing to trade anything I can find in NC, and my personal cellar has stuff like uinta labrynth, avery mephistopheles, and others. I also just got a case of bells hopslam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody happen to live close to Russian River and want to set up some type of regular trading for their more rare releases (like the next round of Beatification)?

I live in the midwest and tend to go to any of the following breweries for major releases:

-Kuhnhenn (Barrel Aged 4D release 2x a year in bottles)
-Dark Horse (Barrel Aged Plead the Fifth every December)
-Founders (Backstage releases, KBS in March)
-Bells (Black Note Stout, but who knows if I'll even have a chance to get there in time)
-Jolly Pumpkin (La Roja Grand Reserve)
-Three Floyds (Dark Lord in March)
-Upland (Lambics)
-Jackie O's (tons of barrel aged stuff, 2-3 bottle releases every couple months)

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 21, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Corbet posted:

Does anybody happen to live close to Russian River and want to set up some type of regular trading for their more rare releases (like the next round of Beatification and Pliny the Younger)?

I live in the midwest and tend to go to any of the following breweries for major releases:

-Bells (Black Note Stout, but who knows if I'll even have a chance to get there in time)
-Upland (Lambics)
-Jackie O's (tons of barrel aged stuff, 2-3 bottle releases every couple months)
Just a note: Pliny the Younger is never bottled or growlered.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Just a note: Pliny the Younger is never bottled or growlered.

Thanks, fixed! I forgot that there are still some highly hyped beers that aren't bottled.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Does anybody have access to a ridiculous amount of Pliny? I'm talking like 8+ bottles, and at least 2.5 weeks fresh of when you'd able to ship.

I understand that at most places there's a limit of a few bottles, but I'm not sure if you can get a bunch if you know the right people...

This is just mostly for reference, I probably won't be able to trade for a month or two!

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Does anybody have access to a ridiculous amount of Pliny? I'm talking like 8+ bottles, and at least 2.5 weeks fresh of when you'd able to ship.

I understand that at most places there's a limit of a few bottles, but I'm not sure if you can get a bunch if you know the right people...

This is just mostly for reference, I probably won't be able to trade for a month or two!

Goodluck! When I left Santa Rosa I took with me what I could from the brewpub and that unfortunately only amounted to 6 plinys at the time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Toxx posted:

Goodluck! When I left Santa Rosa I took with me what I could from the brewpub and that unfortunately only amounted to 6 plinys at the time.

I've been to virtually every place in town that stocks Pliny and I've never seen one that would give me more than two at a time. It's actually far easier and cheaper to just find the bars that stock Pliny (although this might be totally different the closer you get to Santa Rosa).

The condition that "I don't know when I want them but they have to be fresh" is a bit difficult too, I think since most places that get them just get them whenever Russian River happens to ship them. But good luck!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Angry Grimace posted:

The condition that "I don't know when I want them but they have to be fresh" is a bit difficult too, I think since most places that get them just get them whenever Russian River happens to ship them. But good luck!

This is why I posted in advance... I was wondering if anyone lived very close to the brewery.

I just traded and got 2 bottles that had been bottled 2 and a half weeks prior to me receiving them, and the person I traded with doesn't live incredibly close to the brewery, so I didn't think it would be that difficult for someone who does live close!

Toxx posted:

I would be down for trading 6 Pliny's if that's all I could get. 8 was just a high "oh gee it would be awesome if I could actually get this many fresh". It just kinda sucks to really want several of one beer specifically in a trade and only being able to get ~2-3 when it's not really a rare beer that has limited releases (it does in some senses, but not like many 'rare' beers).

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

Kudosx posted:

This is why I posted in advance... I was wondering if anyone lived very close to the brewery.

I just traded and got 2 bottles that had been bottled 2 and a half weeks prior to me receiving them, and the person I traded with doesn't live incredibly close to the brewery, so I didn't think it would be that difficult for someone who does live close!

I would be down for trading 6 Pliny's if that's all I could get. 8 was just a high "oh gee it would be awesome if I could actually get this many fresh". It just kinda sucks to really want several of one beer specifically in a trade and only being able to get ~2-3 when it's not really a rare beer that has limited releases (it does in some senses, but not like many 'rare' beers).

Move to Santa Rosa and get a job at RR. That's what a friend of mine did and I'm pretty sure he never runs out. :cool:

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Kudosx posted:

Let me wrap up the few loose trades I have pending out (this week) and then we can talk. Since you're not looking to trade for another month, that works, but the local shop near me has Pliny in stock every two weeks and has no bottle limit.

For a while I was walking out of there with half a case to a case of 10 day old Pliny.

For reference, I'm in Southern California. Here's a site that typically has a list of who is an account holder with them.
http://russianriverbrewing.com/pages/accounts/socal.html
I'm sure you can change the location. But those spots will typically always have Pliny in regular cycles in.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Currently doing my first ever beer trade with Corbet. My package of Cascade Brewing sour beers arrived at his house today, but the two bottles of Kriek I sent leaked during shipping. They were probably subjected to some sub-freezing temperatures on their week long trip east and the corks got pushed.

:negative:

Lessons learned:
  1. Always use styrofoam bottle shippers if possible. May not have made a difference in my case, but the extra insulation always helps in cold weather. I didn't have a styrofoam 6-pack shipper readily available, so I went with one of the paper wine shippers. Bottles were snug, but not well-insulated.
  2. Wrap and tape corked bottles tightly. I didn't provide any extra support for the corks and cages. If I had done so, the bottles may not have leaked.
  3. Use FedEx. I went with UPS. Brought the package to the shipping center on a Saturday morning. It didn't even start its trip east until the following Monday. Then it took 8 days to reach its destination. I should have requested it to be delivered by Friday of that week at the least and payed whatever extra money it cost. FedEx looks like it has a better default shipping option.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Lessons learned:

[*]Use FedEx. I went with UPS. Brought the package to the shipping center on a Saturday morning. It didn't even start its trip east until the following Monday. Then it took 8 days to reach its destination. I should have requested it to be delivered by Friday of that week at the least and payed whatever extra money it cost. FedEx looks like it has a better default shipping option.
[/list=1]

UPS Ground does not move on Saturday, that's normal, and the reason it took so long to get there was because of severe weather delays between the two of you (there was even a train derailment in Montana; maybe your box got all shook up?), which likely would have had the same effect on a FedEx shipment. upgrading the shipping would not have helped in this case, not to mention increased the price significantly. lovely about the bottles, though, sorry to hear that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

UPS Ground does not move on Saturday, that's normal, and the reason it took so long to get there was because of severe weather delays between the two of you (there was even a train derailment in Montana; maybe your box got all shook up?), which likely would have had the same effect on a FedEx shipment. upgrading the shipping would not have helped in this case, not to mention increased the price significantly. lovely about the bottles, though, sorry to hear that.

Any advice on preventing another mishap? Perfectly Cromulent has offered to send me two replacement bottles, which is really awesome, and I'd hate for it to happen again.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Ship on a Monday and ship fast enough so that it arrives at its destination by Friday. That way it never sits in some random warehouse for days on end, its always moving towards its destination.
Also, if its going to get really loving cold inbetween your shipping destinations you might want to ship air.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

rage-saq posted:

Ship on a Monday and ship fast enough so that it arrives at its destination by Friday. That way it never sits in some random warehouse for days on end, its always moving towards its destination.
Also, if its going to get really loving cold inbetween your shipping destinations you might want to ship air.

yeah, i was gonna wait for rage-saq to chime in; i know packing and shipping very well, but not much about alcohol storage and cold tolerances.* the only further advice i can provide is to make sure the bottles are moving as little as possible so the carbonation doesn't get all agitated. also, if you're gonna secure the top, which some people swear by, stretch/saran-wrap it really tightly and then go around it a few times with packing tape (not masking, duct, electrical, etc).

*shipping warehouses tend to have minimal climate control at best and trailers are sometimes loaded days in advance of actual movement. you can check the detailed tracking info to see the exact route it took and get a better idea of the temperatures another shipment is likely to experience.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

UPS damaged my package to Houston and now it's coming back to me! My JPs! :cry:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SUPER HASSLER posted:

UPS damaged my package to Houston and now it's coming back to me! :cry:

Did you use a styrofoam shipper?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

rage-saq posted:

Did you use a styrofoam shipper?

I did! I guess I'll see what went wrong when it comes back to me.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Edit: woops sorry

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 29, 2012

Kai_Sunsoul
Jan 7, 2006

Got Chemistry?
Ok, Upland is getting ready to release their latest sout--Gilgamesh. It's a amped up Flander's Red. See Here:
http://uplandbeer.com/upland-brewery/wild-lambic-sours/gilgamesh/.

I have reserved 4 bottles (which is the limit). I will be willing to trade 2.

I would like things I can't get here in indy: Lost Abbey, Port, Ninkasi, Jester King, Cigar City, etc.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I did! I guess I'll see what went wrong when it comes back to me.

were the bottles moving inside the container? if there wasn't any packing material in there, they can bounce around a fair amount.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody want to trade me a 4-pack of Terapin Wake N Bake and a 4-pack of Terapin Moo Hoo?

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

I'm looking to acquire a Bramble Rye and Coffee BCS. King Henry as well if anyone still has any to trade. Let me know what you want from the West Coast and I can likely acquire it for you.

ISO: Bramble Rye and/or Coffee BCS. King Henry.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Corbet posted:

Does anybody want to trade me a 4-pack of Terapin Wake N Bake and a 4-pack of Terapin Moo Hoo?

I can make this happen. Where are you located/what do you have to trade? I'm into awesome German/Belgian/English styles mostly.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Kai_Sunsoul posted:

Ok, Upland is getting ready to release their latest sout--Gilgamesh. It's a amped up Flander's Red. See Here:
http://uplandbeer.com/upland-brewery/wild-lambic-sours/gilgamesh/.

I have reserved 4 bottles (which is the limit). I will be willing to trade 2.

I would like things I can't get here in indy: Lost Abbey, Port, Ninkasi, Jester King, Cigar City, etc.

What kinda CCB's would ya want?

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I"m dying for some Cigar City "big bottles" , most notably Hunahpu , but I'm willing to try anything I havent' had before(so far I've had Guava(old batch), Bolita, Zhukov and Sugar Plum). Looking for pretty much anything else they make. All I have access to in PA is Maduro and Jai Alai on a regular basis.

Please PM if interested in trading me some of these fine brews.

ISO Cigar City things

Kai_Sunsoul
Jan 7, 2006

Got Chemistry?

bananasinpajamas posted:

What kinda CCB's would ya want?

I'm hoping to get one of their rarer 750's. I would also trade for some of their common, widely distributed things for some of the local flavors here (sun king cans, upland, three floyds, etc).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is anybody here planning on going to Cigar City's Hunahpu day? I'd really like to get my hands on a bottle or two.

I have access to the following:
Bruery Reserve Society beers (Filmishmish, Mother Funker, Choco Rye, Sour in the Rye, White Oak)
Founders (KBS, Curmudgeon's Better Half)
Future Jackie O's releases
Jolly Pumpkin Bambic
Dark Horse BBA Plead the Fifth
Kunhhenn BBA 4th Dementia

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Corbet posted:

Does anybody happen to live close to Russian River and want to set up some type of regular trading for their more rare releases (like the next round of Beatification)?

-Upland (Lambics)

Beatification is due in spring.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Tomorrow I'm doing my first trade, I'm sending out a 4 pack of Sixpoint Resin and a Flying Fish ESB Amber Ale for a Surly Furious, Surly Abrasive and a Surly Bender. I'm assuming it's going to be easy to simply just put the 4 pack in a box and stuff the box to ensure no movement, but I have one bottle now. I've heard people tape the caps to prevent leaking. Would packing tape work fine for this?

Midorka fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 21, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Midorka posted:

Tomorrow I'm doing my first trade, I'm sending out a 4 pack of Sixpoint Resin and a Flying Fish ESB Amber Ale for a Surly Furious, Surly Abrasive and a Surly Bender. I'm assuming it's going to be easy to simply just put the 4 pack in a box and stuff the box to ensure no movement, but I have one bottle now. I've heard people tape the caps to prevent leaking. Would packing tape work fine for this?

I would put the one bottle in a ziploc bag and tape the top down with packing tape. Or yea, just tape the top of the bottle with packing tape.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Thanks, after I posted I realized I should probably tape it, then put saran wrap or something else around it then tape it again. Can't wait to ship this out!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Midorka posted:

Thanks, after I posted I realized I should probably tape it, then put saran wrap or something else around it then tape it again. Can't wait to ship this out!

really, you should bubble-wrap it.

with the cans, you don't have to worry about vibration/knocking together so much, but they can still get damaged. at the very least get an inch of densely-packed paper on all sides and line the inside of the box with an extra layer (or two) of cardboard.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody in the Colorado/Denver area want to do some trades? I'm looking to get some bottles from Funkwerks and Crooked Stave, along with some other microbrews I may not be familiar with.

I live in the midwest so I have access to most breweries in the Michigan/Ohio area.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 21, 2012

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
Anyone interested in a non rare stuff trade?

I am in Kalamazoo, Michigan and thus have access to fresh Bells, Founders, Dark Horse, and Arcadia beers. I can also get a lot of Jolly Pumpkin stuff and could be persuaded to get growler fills from the Livery (https://www.liverybrew.com) or Hopcat (https://www.hopcat.com). Or from founders, for that matter, they have tons of rad pub only stuff.

ANYWAY.

I'm looking for some relatively common beer that I just can't get here. I'm hoping to trade a six pack or two for the same in return.

Specific wants:

Firestone Velvet Merlin
Troegs Nugget Nectar
Cigar City Tocobaga
Three Floyds Gumballhead
New Glarus Cabin Fever

I'm open to other ideas if you have some rad local beer I ought to try, though! I just want to taste some great new stuff!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Anyone interested in a non rare stuff trade?

I am in Kalamazoo, Michigan and thus have access to fresh Bells, Founders, Dark Horse, and Arcadia beers. I can also get a lot of Jolly Pumpkin stuff and could be persuaded to get growler fills from the Livery (https://www.liverybrew.com) or Hopcat (https://www.hopcat.com). Or from founders, for that matter, they have tons of rad pub only stuff.

ANYWAY.

I'm looking for some relatively common beer that I just can't get here. I'm hoping to trade a six pack or two for the same in return.

Specific wants:

Firestone Velvet Merlin
Troegs Nugget Nectar
Cigar City Tocobaga
Three Floyds Gumballhead
New Glarus Cabin Fever

I'm open to other ideas if you have some rad local beer I ought to try, though! I just want to taste some great new stuff!

I have access to Troegs Nugget Nectar (I'm in Ohio) and I'd be willing to trade for some Bell's General Store releases. It's a shame you didn't post this a couple weeks ago, I would have had you pick up some Wild One when it was still available.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

I'd be up for that. Right now I believe they just have the harvest ale, golden rye and mead...nothing astounding.

Corbet posted:

I have access to Troegs Nugget Nectar (I'm in Ohio) and I'd be willing to trade for some Bell's General Store releases. It's a shame you didn't post this a couple weeks ago, I would have had you pick up some Wild One when it was still available.

Wait until they release raspberry wild one (never) it's stupidly good. Like a wilder supplication.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Wait until they release raspberry wild one (never) it's stupidly good. Like a wilder supplication.

I've heard good things but I'm pretty sure it hasn't even had a label approved.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'm looking to do two small trades:

2 Nugget Nectar for 1 Pliny the Elder less than a month old.
2 Nugget Nectar for 1 Heady Topper less than a month old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
Anyone want Founder's All-Day IPA or Bell's Hopslam? I've got a few kicking around I won't drink. Would consider anything, really, since I value novelty and new experiences over ratings.

edit: I also have two bottles of Southern Tier Choklat that might like a new home.

FreelanceSocialist fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 6, 2012

• Locked thread