Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Nice thread. I think I'm ready to diversify my collection a bit, and try to acquire some things which don't appear in southern california.

To that point, here's my list: Stuff I have at the moment

There are some things on there I wouldn't want to trade, but there's no real way to mark them as such on that site right now so just ask if you're curious. Also, look at the "Hads" part of the list too, as most things on there from san diego-area breweries could probably be obtained easily as long as they're in season.

I also live about 10 minutes away from http://beverages4lessinc.com/ which beer nerds apparently cream over, so anything on their "in stock" list is something that's a quick trip for me to acquire. It's 20 minutes in the other direction to the Alpine brewery for me, so short of standing in long lines for rare releases I could probably be talked into making a trip out there for something brewery-limited, especially if there's a beer I really want on the other side of that trade in return. I don't really have a "wants" list, mostly any fantastic imperial stouts and quads I haven't had yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

rage-saq posted:

I've been thinking of setting up a goon trader spreadsheet that does a few things.

1: Your username here, and maybe on RB/BA if you care
2: Link to your cellar/want list
3: Trade history
4: contact info?

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't say no to that. I know it'd be a lot easier to search for a beer, for example, and see who has one up for trade vs traipsing through various gDocs and the like.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Zam posted:

I know people have mixed feelings on Lost Abbey, but I have 2-3 bottles of 2011 Cuvee de Tomme for trade. Looking for special/limited release beers outside of San Diego distribution. I also have limited access to Lost Abbey Deliverance right now.

FT: Cuvee de Tomme and/or Deliverance
ISO: Your local limited/special releases

They didn't have it at BDBS downtown yesterday, where'd you get your Tomme at?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Zam posted:

The brewery.

Ah, that's definitely one thing I miss about working in Carlsbad. Lunchtime growler fill runs were great, but I never got the feel like I was anything more than an inconvenience when purchasing their stuff.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

If I'm able to successfully pick up some of Alpine's Exponential Hoppiness next weekend, what could that net me in a trade in the realms of imp stouts I can't get in southern California? In other words, who's got what to offer in exchange?

wattershed fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 20, 2012

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

FT: Making a run to Alpine on either 1/30, 1/31 or 2/1 depending on when I have something set up. If I can decipher their whiteboard correctly from their webcam, I believe they have the following available:

B=bottles G=growlers. A '?' means they might be out.

Willy B/G
Willy Vanilly G
Raspberry Nectar G
McIlhenney's Irish Red B?/G
Mandarin Nectar B?/G?
Captain Stout B?/G
Alpine Ale B/G
Pure Hoppiness B?/G
Duet B?/G
Nelson B?/G
Token B?/G? (it's on the board so they have it in some form, but perhaps just tasters)
Crazy Hazel B?/G? (same as Token)

4-bottle limit on each type of beer. Average bottle price is $6.35 (at least for PH/Duet/Nelson, they're the only ones I've ever bought in bottles). I'd be willing to buy up to two growlers as well. I'm blanking on the growler price at the moment but I want to say it's something like $7-10 for the glass and then fills in the $10-16 range depending on the beer. As usual with Alpine stuff, they could have a run on a certain beer and be out, but I've never seen them out of both bottles and growler fills of any one beer. As stated above, I'd like to go soon seeing as the Super Bowl is this weekend and I imagine they'll start getting people looking to stock up over the next few days. If we set something up, I'll ask that you specify backup bottles and choices in case they run dry with a certain item.

Now, what I'm ISO:

Stouts, Dubbels/Tripels/Quads, Saisons, Sours, IPAs, American-style Barleywines I can't get in southern California. I would put priority on anything well-regarded from...

Hill Farmstead
Cigar City
Surly
Jackie O
Founders
Bell's
Boulevard (minus the basic Smokestack series)
Three Floyds
Cantillon

...but I would consider pretty much anything from any brewery if it's got a decent reputation, so don't think I wouldn't be interested. As you can see, not too picky.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

b c n u posted:

Too late to take you up on this? Can get Founders, Floyds, Bells and some Boulevard as well as some of the Goose Island sour stuff.

Unfortunately I've already set something up for this run, but I'll drop a line your way before I head out there again.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

If that doesn't work here, check reddit's /beertrade forum. Pretty sizable audience there, minus the BA douchebaggery

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

Looking for some Supplication. 3-4 bottles would be awesome. I can either paypal costs or make it up in trade when Lovechild #3 and/or Saison Brett come out. Anything else you might want? Let me know and I'll see what I can muster up.

Supplication is EVERYWHERE right now it seems. They're $13/btl before tax. Would definitely do a delayed trade of that for LC3, and maybe Saison-Brett once I try the one headed my way in another trade.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Double Sunshine is one dimensional and underwhelming. That's right I said it. I mean, perfectly fine IPA and all, but it's not fair to drink it alongside Heady.

Also, I grabbed an Arctic Saison for Midorka the other day and would be glad to get more and set something up with someone for a nice pale ale like Daisy Cutter or something like Zombie Dust.

(Also have plenty of Almanac FR#3, barrel noir, and the new pumpkin barleywine that's pretty good)

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

El Jebus posted:

Since you have access to the RS, I assume you are in CA? While the state is a bit large, maybe a socal beer meet should take place?

I've been saying this for a while. Had designs for a while there to do something on either the 24th or 25th but I decided the 24th was going to be "brew 3 beers" day and got busy/lazy and didn't try to plan anything for the 25th. If people want to congregate on short notice in the eastern part of SD county on Sunday the 25th, I'll provide the house/bbq/pool and a few cellared items but unless I can get a decent amount of people to show up (6 or more-ish?) it seems wise to hold off until something bigger can be planned.

I know there's enough people to do it, it's just a matter of getting everyone in the same place at the same time.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Oh yeah, that reminds me...

ISO: CCB Forgotten Island, Double Daisy Cutter (comes out 9/27 apparently)
FT: Sucaba/Parabola, Alpine bottles/growlers, Russian River's sours, various Prairie beers, anything brewed in San Diego that's not crazy hard to get.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not opposed to trading it off now for future considerations (to any trustworthy goons or others I've traded with before), but I would need some kind of firm commitment that I'm actually going to get whatever beer is offered in return. I'm not sure I want to hold onto it for weeks until people are complaining its falling off and they don't want it. I'm liable to just drink the trade by then.

Hey, can you come to the Alesmith 3 days of Speedways on Wednesday the 6th? Aside from it being a small beer goon meet, a trade I had set up for Heady shipped really fast (as in, I was just getting my box packed today and it showed up on my doorstep last night, never even got a tracking # from the guy first) so I have some that I'd love to exchange for some Citra.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Vertigo posted:

So...

Tomorrow I'm picking up 1/4 case of Bourbon County Backyard Rye , 1/4 case of Lolita , 1/4 case of Bourbon County Barleywine and a 1/2 case of original BCBS.

Is there any interest in some trades?

Backyard rye and the barleywine. Let me know what is of interest from here: http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/raistrick

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Cbear posted:

Not at all. Everything you guys have said is spot on. My problem was finding a beer that people actually wanted to trade for. Then it became a mad dash to try to trade them all to get everything I've been reading about.

I have an obsessive personality by nature so its just a perfect storm right now.

I'll try to drink some of my current stock of beers and ease back on trades for now.

I think there's a bit of a process each beer nerd should go through, but many fail to do, which is to drink a lovely version of a style, an average "can't go wrong" version, a pretty good version, then really sink your teeth into the gold standard of the style. There's something to be said for being able to truly appreciate what makes a good beer good, and realizing what brewery X did that the others who attempted that style failed at adds (for me, at least) another level of enjoyment.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

So I have this on a FedEx tracking page right now:

I'm the sender of that package and it seems like it made it allllmost to its destination. Yet, the arrival date was simply bumped back 4 days and still shows the destination as the receiver's city. I don't know if it's coming back to me or not; I've had the big red text delivery exceptions in the past but this doesn't seem like the same variety of issue. If you've had this before, did it head back your way or make it to its final destination?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

air- posted:

Sounds like something broke in transit and they know it's beer hence the replaced label. This happened to me with exact same notes and the package came back to me (I was the sender).

Haha what did the label say afterward, "contraband inside"?

It's all shelf stuff anyway, oh well. I wonder if it was a bottle that got too cold on the east coast...

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

air- posted:

Close! It had a huge sticker saying check for over 21 ID with signature.

Well that's downright discreet. How kind of them.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Me in Reverse posted:

Iso Jamaican Blue Mtn Speedway Stout

I should be able to finagle the max of these, maybe 2x the max if my coworker's down with being a mule again.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

DB Huna for Veritas 013, is one party being screwed there or is that a relatively fair trade? All the chatter of people rolling out of CCB with cases of DBH is throwing my perception off a bit.

I guess this is also my way of saying I'll have 4 bottles of V013 for trade...

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Hey dudes, quick question, what was the bottle count for Life Is Like? Guy wants to go $4$ on a trade with me but I'm pretty sure I'll need to factor in counts to make it happen.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

danbanana posted:

It went into (very limited) distro, so I'm assuming at least a few thousand.

Yeah, that's the only info I can find on it...I know a lot of CCB releases have had bottle count info attached to them so I was hoping someone had heard something more concrete.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

I de-waxed the bottles I had (not from you air-, just in general) - definitely something resembling moisture under one of them.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Looking to do two different trades:

ISO: case of Fresh Squeezed, case of Easy Jack
FT: Double Barrel Hunahpu's plus others

I can part with a DBH for each case, plus virtually any other CCB beer, especially all regulars. I want as humanly fresh as possible with these beers, and I'll do the same on my end :)

Sheeeeeit you had to resort to /beertrade to get this one done?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

is anybody able to pick up from Alesmith? i'd gladly make it worth your while to get me some Vietnamese Speedway Stout, which is on sale now. the guy who had muled for me in the past isn't able to hook it up this time around...

In all honesty I bought my four bottles mostly to trade them as the VN variant doesn't blow me away like it does some folks. I'd be glad to work something out with you.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

ISO: A Deal With the Devil. A bottle shop in Anchorage just got a bunch of cases.

Do we have any Anchorage beer goons around here?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

ISO: Prop, Vanilla, Coffee. You know that poo poo's disgusting and you don't want it. I'm here to take it off your hands.

FT: Veritas 014, all recent AleSmith releases, Alpine stuff, any other SD distro stuff.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

crazyfish posted:

Heads up to anyone that may have traded for any Toppling Goliath stouts: Apparently one particular piece of poo poo has been making counterfeits by opening real bottles, drinking the beer, then filling with a different beer and recapping/rewaxing. I didn't get burned by this dude, but I would implore you, if you are interested in trading for it, to get as much information about the origins of any bottle of those beers as much as possible. http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/i-think-i-got-duped-feedback-please.234718/

I'm glad that something pissed me off long ago about that dude enough for me to add him to my do-not-trade list, because he was on it.

I hate to say it but it's SHOCKING it's taken this long for someone to get popped doing this. As far as dirtbag grifts go, this seems like low-hanging fruit but with the added effort of dipping the bottle for authenticity.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Apache posted:

Just got an awesome box from wattershed with a bonus Ken Schmidt Brews Mint Chocolate RIS, would trade again.

Excellent, glad it made the trip successfully. Apache sent a well-packed box (DB Huna!) with some sweet extras as well. Good trade.

Re: that Ken Schmidt beer, might be my favorite SD beer released this year and definitely my favorite in that box.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

My grandma would have said you have a lovely tablecloth.

Bur seriously, can someone enlighten me on the harm of a beer freezing but still being sealed? My gut says "probably not good" but I can't figure out why.

This is also a friendly reminder at this time of year to do your absolute best to ship on Mondays as early in the day as possible. All but the most rural > rural cross-country shipments can make it through the lower 48 states in 5 days and a package kept moving will likely have better odds of staying above freezing than one which sits in a warehouse somewhere.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

ISO: Straight Jacket
FT: San Diego stuff

I have to hustle to rally up bottles of Sucaba and after having a few Straight Jackets I'm looking to grab more of a lovely shelf substitute. Throw requests at me, I know you all like Russian River and Modern Times so feel free to lowball me for that stuff.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

danbanana posted:

I sent wattershed some Straight Jacket and some Transient things and he sent back a loving case of Modern Times and (real) Alpine beers. Jesus Christ. Thank you.

*AHEM* you left out the Belching Beaver! Thought I'd toss that in for shits n giggles, but some people love that beer so worst case scenario you can reduce it down to a great pancake syrup. Enjoy!

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Just get some vanilla and french press it into a bottle of BCBS. Or, find Vanilla ANTEAD. I found doing both of those tasted better than actual vanilla rye.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

Back on topic, here's a good example of #newmoney from a local (loving Philly) beer group:

quote:
I'm trying to decide how many bottles of AleSmith's Reforged I'm going to buy today. Is this going to be something that people are going to want to trade for? If so I am going to buy the full allotment. I have a friend in San Diego that is going to pick them up for me.

quote:
Get the full allotment.. chances are the site will crash like usual.. and people will be in a mad dash to trade for it.

So...yeah...this is still very much available and for sale. Only thing worse than new money is new money that's bad at the #newmoney game.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

Do we have anyone in reasonable distance of Alpine Brewing that they could pick me up a selection of IPAs in a few weeks?

Whatcha lookin for?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

Whatever's available at some point in the near future when the shipping schedule works out, lol. Duet, Pure Hoppiness, Nelson, etc etc.

They're bottling Hoppy Birthday now too. My schedule is hellacious right now and I'm going to Hawaii for a week soon, but consider me as your guy when I get back around the 25th, if you can wait that long. I live about 20 minutes away from the brewery, which probably puts me as the closest goon in the beer thread.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

If you end up near Honolulu they've still got Cantillon at REAL. The food there is great too!

BAH I knoooow but it's a family trip and we're hunkering down in Maui which I've heard is a bit of a wasteland aside from the imperial coconut porter from MBC. Stone's distro is big there so from recent reviews it's gonna feel like I've traveled 5 hours to get close to the same beers we get here in SD. It's still 90° here so it seems like we're bringing our weather with us too.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

ISO: 2015 BCBS + variants

FT: AleSmith limited releases (almost all the recent stuff going back a few years), Alpine growlers (the real stuff, not the GF versions), Beatitude variants

San Diego's BCBS distro is always garbage and I don't have the time this year to wait 2 hours in a line for a few bottles of whatever the place I've picked has to offer.

I know a lot of the stuff is not going to be hard to find in many parts of the country but we really get slim pickins around here so I'm going to crack open the cellar a little bit to keep the supply lines open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Another good goon trade!

I did a trade with sterster a while back. In the process, I forgot a bottle that wasn't an extra, and one of the bottles inside broke (I am cursed whenever I send Alpine, but that's another story). Around that time my wife had our son, we spent a week in the NICU, I was sick for 50 straight days, etc. Life poo poo. Anyway, that whole time I'd been meaning to get a "finish the trade and make up for the delay" box out to him and the entire time he was super cool and never made me feel like an arse for taking so long to get him his bottles.

So tl:dr he's a cool dude and you should trade with him. That's all.

• Locked thread