Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Welcome to the Cycle Asylum Harley-Davidson (R) Owner's Group (TM) - henceforth refereed to as C.A.H.O.G.(R).

First, please pay your respects to our founder, the late Layer Dan

:911:

Second, here are the basic rules:

1. It's ok to ride a Sportster 883. Its ok, we're all friends here. Get a man's bike, girlfriend

2. Chromosexuality - we have a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy regarding that. Don't tell nobody you are one and don't ask nobody if they are one and we won't have no problems, ya hear.

3. Posts must be arranged by weight. Skinny posters up front, fat posters go at the end, the fattest posters have to ride Harley-Davidson(R) CVO(TM) Trikes. This will keep help everyone have a great C.A.H.O.G.(R) posting experience.

And would someone PLEASE explain the alphabet soup (that my XR apparently doesn't belong to).

C.A.H.O.G.(R) MEMBER AND RIDE LIST
redscare - XR1200
DILLIGAF - A mutant that was once a Sportster 883

At this point, I'm out of bad jokes so here's a picture of said XR.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redscare fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I might have to ride down my SV650 down to show you drat Harley owners what real power is like. :colbert:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The alphabet soup demystified:

Wikipedia posted:

Harley model designations are a sequence of letters and numbers, combined in limited ways. The sequences can be long, as in the 2006 model designation FLHTCUSE.
The first letter may be one of the following:
K (1950s flathead small twin), E, F (1936–* single cam OHV big twin), U, V (1930–48 four cam flathead big twin), D, G, R, W (flathead small twin), X (Sportster OHV), or V (VRSC)
since 1984 only F (Big Twin), X (Sportster) and V (V_ROD) have been used regularly.
Letters are appended singly or in pairs, as follows:
B (BLACKED OUT ie Street Bob, Night Train, and Cross Bones models), C (Classic or Custom), CW (Custom Wide (2008 Softail Rocker)) D (Dyna chasis or Softail Deuce), E (Electric start), F (Fat Boy (1990–present); Fat Bob (2008–present) or Foot-shift (1972 and prior)), H (HANDLE BAR/ FRONT END MOUNTED FAIRING. ie bat wing fairing/quick release windshield.), I (Fuel injection), L (Low Rider)), N {(Nostalgia as in Softail Deluxe/Nostalgia/Special) and Nightster in Sportster family} P (Police), R (Race, Road King, or Rubber-mount), S (Sport, Springer), ST (Softail), T (FRAME MOUNTED FAIRING), WG (Wide Glide), SE (Screamin' Eagle), U (Ultra) X (FLHX Street Glide), sport in Dyna models, and Street Glide in Touring models.) XT (T-Sport Dyna Model).
Custom Vehicle Operations models can also have a number (2,3,4) added.
Note that these conventions for model designations are broken regularly by the company.

I went ahead and bolded the only sentence that matters FREEDOM:patriot: portion of the explanation.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
I, for one, revel in my mid life crisis... of course it started when I was 14 and has continued for 30+ years, but still....

I started with a bone stock 883 and converted to 1200.. then the disease hit and I started changing things. This is the oldest pic I could find

And this is what it looks like as of last month.

My bike is under the knife again and I'll have to remember to post updated pics when I am done.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
As a VRSCDX owner, I fully support this thread.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Z3n posted:

I might have to ride down my SV650 down to show you drat Harley owners what real power is like. :colbert:

After my near death experience of having my Buell 1125 blow up in my face I traded my Buell Lightning 1200 in on a Sportster 48. Worst decision I've ever made. I wanted to go with a Speed Triple but my wife was pregnant and gave me a huge guilt trip about how I needed to get a non-sporty bike. I should of got a divorce.

Edit: That said, I love the way my 48 looks, but it rides like complete poo poo.

Mikemo Tyson fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 15, 2011

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

DILLIGAF posted:

My bike is under the knife again and I'll have to remember to post updated pics when I am done.

I don't really "get" harley's or cruisers, but I would ride the poo poo out of that thing.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Fake Harley post:

From top to bottom: MX250, SX175, SX250, A Rotax with a Harley sticker

My dad sold all the vintage bikes to buy one modern dirt bike. It was a good choice.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Hey there sexy thread.

I can see... that you're as sexy as I am. Well, not really.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Deep down I'll always have a nagging desire to own a Road King. Since I'll most likely never buy one, I'll settle on watching SoA in my assless chaps.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

As I mentioned in the stupid poo poo thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSmsmclOnOI

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Deeters posted:

As I mentioned in the stupid poo poo thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSmsmclOnOI

A HD in the rain? How is that possible? I also could clearly hear the stereo over the pipes. That don't make no sense!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

More like "ride your SV down to try out my super-awesome Harley"

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Hey guys, I too have a Harley. It's a girl bike: XL1200S; The Sportster Sport.

It's essentially all hopped up Buelly engine. Cool right?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Redscare, I think as CAHOG president and grand poo-bah (that's the noise a Harley makes, right?), tradition requires you to change your user name to Layer Dan.

Layer Dan is dead - long live Layer Dan!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Bwahtaiyew, herter 'luherdunnn

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Crayvex posted:

A HD in the rain? How is that possible? I also could clearly hear the stereo over the pipes. That don't make no sense!

I was more perplexed by there being Katy Perry playing.

invision posted:

Bwahtaiyew, herter 'luherdunnn

HURTUH LURDURRR

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
SO this new thread is not a TOTAL waste of space, I thought I would share a couple of mods I have made on the rebuild I am doing....

The bike is heavy, and the front wheel is heavy (16x5) so I am getting some fork twist when braking (single side disc) and diving into corners.

After seeing the wide-glide fork braces out there and not liking them, I decided to make my own based on the style of this narrow-glide brace

Some 1/4" steel plate and a simple design

Ready to be bolted on (Have to rebuild the forks first)

I'll show pics installed once I get the forks done.

Then, I was thinking about clip ons or clubman bars because I wanted my bars lower and further forward. It is a wideglide front end so finding clubmans to fit was next to impossible and clip-ons are not cheap.

I still have 1/4" steel plate left so....

This drops my bars by 4" and forward by 3". It also allows me to lower the light setup I have so there is not a huge gap between the primary headlights and the aimable cornering lights.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 16, 2011

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Here's my 1983 XLS:

(yes, the chain was loose in this shot)

The bike belonged to my father, who passed away when I was three years old. It then sat in a barn for the next fifteen years, until my mother signed the title over to me. Since then, I've added:

- Cycle Shack drag pipes (1.75" with homemade baffles)
- S&S Super E carb kit
- Chrome oil tank

..and lots of miscellaneous new small parts.

It runs great, and the Ironhead motor makes a sound that's different from any other Harley twin. I've slightly neglected it the last couple years as I got into a traumatic car accident that's left me a bit mortified of being without a cage. However, it will soon be getting new paint on the frame and bodywork. :)

This isn't mine, but gives you an idea of what it sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5trWWUVzBo&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL93831062A5AE69AA

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Oh good timing. I need to solicit some free internet advice regarding my scoot:

1942 WLA. Former WW2 Army bike turned flat track racer in the 1950's turned bobber/love-of-my-life about a year ago.
the only outstanding issue for me* is the logo on the tank:

That sticker is not only poorly fitted, with seams and bubbles, but is also from the 60's.

Unfortunately Harley didn't use decals in the 40's so the closest correct thing would be metal tank emblems which wouldn't fit my military tank.

I was thinking about either going with an older HD logo, like the one below from the 30's, or just sticking with a white star or invasion star as a nod to the bike's original paint.

Opinions very much appreciated.

*Although to be honest I'm still on the fence about whether I should leave the 50's sportster forks as they are or to track down an original springer front end. I think it has a nice clean look right now but on the other hand springer.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

MonkeyHate posted:

Opinions very much appreciated.

I would go with the HD script over the star, if you plan on leaving it orange.

And dude...springer. That bike is screaming for a Springer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HD Script. It looks really classy on an old-style bike like that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dang. I was planning on going to an HD demo day today, but totally blew it off because, uh... I forgot. Finally remembered halfway down the road to my favorite car wash, and by then it was pretty much over.

Ah well, it's not like they've got a hell of a lot of model creep, do they? This year, cruisers! (and one standard.) Next year... cruisers! (and one standard.)

E: So what's the difference between the model lines again. this about accurate?

Sportster: It has been made since forever, has a smaller motor, two shocks in the back and is a girl's bike because it is smaller and handles better.
Dyna: It has two shocks in the back and a bigger motor.
Softail: It has one shock in the back, hidden so it looks like it could destroy your kidneys, and a bigger motor.
Touring: It has bags and one of two ugly fairings, but is otherwise a dyna or softail.
Whatever-Rod: It has a motor developed by Porsche for Erik Buell that we then stole and bastardized until he couldn't use it. Also it looks like something Cloud Strife would ride.

Phy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 17, 2011

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Phy posted:

Dang. I was planning on going to an HD demo day today, but totally blew it off because, uh... I forgot. Finally remembered halfway down the road to my favorite car wash, and by then it was pretty much over.

Ah well, it's not like they've got a hell of a lot of model creep, do they? This year, cruisers! (and one standard.) Next year... cruisers! (and one standard.)

E: So what's the difference between the model lines again. this about accurate?

Sportster: It has been made since forever, has a smaller motor, two shocks in the back and is a girl's bike because it is smaller and handles better.
Softail: It has one shock in the back, hidden so it looks like it could destroy your kidneys, and a bigger motor.
Touring: It has bags and one of two ugly fairings, but is otherwise a dyna or softail.
Whatever-Rod: It has a motor developed by Porsche for Erik Buell that we then stole and bastardized until he couldn't use it. Also it looks like something Cloud Strife would ride.

You forgot the part about the V-Rod being awesome

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Phy posted:

The Dyna also has a really ugly battery box-looking thing whereas the Softail has the cool oil-tank-with-cool-oil-lines thing

EDIT: how much could I expect to pay to have the H-D logo on the tank professionally removed / painted-over / whatever on my Softail? I don't really need the whole thing re-painted, but I don't know if just a spot is something that's possible, or if it's just as cheap / expensive to re-paint the whole thing.

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 17, 2011

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
They also have that newer model (Switchback?) with the enormous rear wheel and the retractable passenger seat (that frankly looks like total rear end)

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Isn't the geometry of the HD Touring frame a little different than the rest to make in more maneuverable?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Snowdens Secret posted:

They also have that newer model (Switchback?) with the enormous rear wheel and the retractable passenger seat (that frankly looks like total rear end)

It's the Rocker you're referring to. And there's also the Crossbones, but I think it's just a Softtail with a springer front end.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Phy posted:

My Genuine Harley-Davidson(R) Brand Motor Accessories(R) Buster Sword(R) is on backorder.

Does anyone have a theory why the V-rod line isn't more popular? It's priced close to the Dyna line, yet it has a much more modern engine, lots more HP and torque, not styled like Grandpa's bike, but it is still a Harley.

I feel like if they marketed it as "Not your father's Harley" they might actually sell a few.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

CombatMedic posted:

My Genuine Harley-Davidson(R) Brand Motor Accessories(R) Buster Sword(R) is on backorder.

Does anyone have a theory why the V-rod line isn't more popular? It's priced close to the Dyna line, yet it has a much more modern engine, lots more HP and torque, not styled like Grandpa's bike, but it is still a Harley.

I feel like if they marketed it as "Not your father's Harley" they might actually sell a few.

Fewer cc's than a Fat Boy so clearly a girl's bike

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

CombatMedic posted:

To modern/modern looking, not enough chrome, doesn't look good with whitewall wheels, etc. I remember asking a harley guy about it and he just shook his head and went "nah no thanks".

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

To modern/modern looking, not enough chrome, doesn't look good with whitewall wheels, etc. I remember asking a harley guy about it and he just shook his head and went "nah no thanks".

Well yeah, Harley guys aren't gonna buy it. Think about the problems Cadillac had 10 years ago. Most of their buyers were old, and dying. The cars were big, slow, and comfortable. They had big displacement V-8s that were more or less unchanged since the early 80s, and young people saw Cadillac as the old peoples' brand so they weren't buying.

Harley is gonna have that same problem once all the baby boomers get too old to ride motorcycles.

Cadillac has more or less redefined their image by marketing the poo poo out of the CTS series and how it has 550+ horsepower and 'Ferrari is using OUR suspension' :smug:

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Snowdens Secret posted:

Fewer cc's than a Fat Boy so clearly a girl's bike

Don't forget communist liquid cooling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CombatMedic posted:

Does anyone have a theory why the V-rod line isn't more popular?

CombatMedic posted:

it has a much more modern engine, lots more HP and torque, not styled like Grandpa's bike

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Don't forget communist liquid cooling.
And an engine designed by Nazis.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Nazis make great engines! But then, I'm not a Harley owner.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Nazis make great engines! But then, I'm not a Harley owner.
But have I got the Harley for you!

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
My roommates are from WI and on my last trip up there I found out that apparently Harley Davidson employs every person in Wisconsin. I also got a chance to ride on a brand new "root beer" Ultra and holy poo poo. Totally different experience, it doesn't even feel like a motorcycle as much as a chariot. I liked it a lot, feels pretty cool to have all that lowdown torque and despite the weight, once you're moving it doesn't feel like a pig.

If I wasn't a broke college student I would seriously consider an 883, but I'm also pretty dead set on a sumo for my next bike and you can't really have it both ways. You can never have too many bikes and I definitely understand the mindset behind having a cruiser in addition to a sporty bike since it's really incomparable.

Also, another weird HD thing: apparently the assembly crew and the steelworkers have separate unions and are not all buddy-buddy. So you can have two guys go to work at the same factory, one stamping metal 50 feet from another putting together engines, and they will go to different bars and different group rides (riding the same bikes of course).

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CombatMedic posted:

Well yeah, Harley guys aren't gonna buy it. Think about the problems Cadillac had 10 years ago. Most of their buyers were old, and dying. The cars were big, slow, and comfortable. They had big displacement V-8s that were more or less unchanged since the early 80s, and young people saw Cadillac as the old peoples' brand so they weren't buying.

Harley is gonna have that same problem once all the baby boomers get too old to ride motorcycles.

Cadillac has more or less redefined their image by marketing the poo poo out of the CTS series and how it has 550+ horsepower and 'Ferrari is using OUR suspension' :smug:

Harley's shown a few times they aren't interested in young people's money. Look at what they did to Buell. The best we get is blacked-out versions of their regular bikes, like the Nightster, as bikes targeted at non-retirees.

My dad has an '06 V-Rod and loving loves it. He upgraded to it from an '03 883R, so he's clearly got a thing for the unloved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

My first bike was a ratty '82 XLH. A total deathtrap that I built out of a box, but I still miss it from time to time, RIP you 1000cc torquey fatass with no brakes you.

• Locked thread