Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It's a crotch rocket, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I have Buell XB heads on my bike. Does this mean I'm no longer allowed in the thread? :qq:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Scrapez posted:

I have Buell XB heads on my bike. Does this mean I'm no longer allowed in the thread? :qq:

Its not buell hate, its specifically Blast hate.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I wanted a Blast but they never sold it here, that's why I got my SRX instead. Half a Sportster engine would probably have been more durable at least.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Always wanted to try out a Buell Lightning. A naked sportbike with a Harley engine sounds interesting, plus they look cool as poo poo. What are they like to own?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm not too sure about reliability but from my experience test riding them, they're pretty drat fun. Torque is fun.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Seems like it'd be more fun playing in the street than a 600, a lot of power down low.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!

Probably Hates You posted:

How so? I'm genuinely interested here as I've never actually ridden a Buell before and only hear nothing but bad things about the blast.

What about it felt dangerous to you?

se: Giblet, what are your thoughts on the blast? What bothers you and what do you love?

First thing I noticed was the complete lack of a "friction zone" with the clutch. It was either engaged or it wasn't, which led to the thing jumping out from under you when you are going slow.

We had 2 guys in our group on 2 different Buells lose control and crash because of it.

Everything on the bike seems to be made from pot metal or plastic.

The seat did have a tendency to slide you forward for some reason.

I guess I just don't understand why someone wouldn't have just spent 5 grand on a scooter instead of the worst production bike ever made.

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 15, 2011

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I rode my Blast for two years without any real problems. Sure, it wasn't anything fantastic, but it got the job done. It managed a 6 hour round trip and countless times being jumped off curbs. The Ninja 250 is certainly a better bike, but I didn't think the Blast was terrible.

My opinion might be a little biased since I have been around Harleys and Buells my whole life, but I figure I rode them enough to make a good judgement.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

Im going to be renting a hardley in Miami (Friend who rides visiting for my wedding wants the full 'American experience' or something).

If you could ride any harley for 1-2 days, which would you ride?

At the moment leaning towards a v-rod since at least its not super slow..

I would go for the full dresser as well. It's Florida, you guys don't have corners (right?). And they're all fairly slow, so you might as well be comfy.

Giblet Plus posted:

I got a 2000 buell blast on craigslist a few months ago:

I hope you're enjoying it! And in the best possible way, I hope you get a new bike soon. :ohdear:

combatmedic posted:

instead of the worst production bike ever made.

You are wrong, goon sir. The Blast is in no way related to the GPz305.

e:

:allears:

Saga fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 15, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Deeters posted:

I rode my Blast for two years without any real problems. Sure, it wasn't anything fantastic, but it got the job done. It managed a 6 hour round trip and countless times being jumped off curbs. The Ninja 250 is certainly a better bike, but I didn't think the Blast was terrible.

My opinion might be a little biased since I have been around Harleys and Buells my whole life, but I figure I rode them enough to make a good judgement.

I think that the issue with the Blast is that the absolute best thing about it is that it can "get the job done". It's the motorcycle equivalent of those union autoworkers out getting hammered and high on their lunch breaks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is the bic pen of the motorcycle world.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, I don't own a Harley, but I do like collecting the shirts. Anyone else do this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

elsanto posted:

Always wanted to try out a Buell Lightning. A naked sportbike with a Harley engine sounds interesting, plus they look cool as poo poo. What are they like to own?
I can't imagine they're too bad to own. There's some reports of some minor QC issues that are easily remedied, but beyond that you have a variant of a very reliable engine that requires minimal work to keep running. Although I do remember some stories of "Step 1: Remove engine" for certain things, though I could be confusing that with something else.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

Armyman25 posted:

So, I don't own a Harley, but I do like collecting the shirts. Anyone else do this?

I wouldn't be surprised if HD makes more licensing merch than they do selling bikes.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

WildWanderer posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if HD makes more licensing merch than they do selling bikes.

The shear amount of HD merch is crazy. I think you can basically live your entire life utilizing HD gear.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

some minor QC issues that are easily remedied,

I've heard of a tendency to explode transmissions. And purely anecdotally, I've seen one let go right in front of me, so I tend to believe it.

Also, belts snapping due to FOD. Not unique to the lightning o/c, but if it happens when you're cruising at 40mph on your softail, it's not so bad, whereas it'd be a bit different if it happens with a lightning cranked over in a fast corner.

The rim brake setup apparently plain doesn't work on the track (and possibly not under heavy road use?). It fades terribly and the pads don't deposit material evenly, creating a warp-like effect (and I don't mean warp speed, unless that means the speed at which you hit the air fence).

I've ridden a firebolt, and it just feels weird if you're used to pretty much anything else. Sort of like someone did a duratorq diesel conversion on a TZR250.

Biggest issue they have is that they are basically more money, more hassle and more difficult to ride than a generic Japanese 600, and yet slower at the same time. I didn't get a lot of track time on the firebolt, but the sheer lack of revs means it ends up between gears where a generic 16v I4, with its broader power band and rev range can either use overrev or go in a gear higher.

IIRC performance bike magazine spent a lot of money on one and couldn't get it to outrun a CBR600.

The 1125R/CR addressed the latter, but the result was a physically large bike that (like the air-cooled Buells) isn't a patch on the premium liter bike competition cosmetically and lags behind them in terms of power.

e:

Armyman25 posted:

The shear amount of HD merch is crazy. I think you can basically live your entire life utilizing HD gear.

Says the Triumph owner!

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

I used a Buell Lightning motor for the my chop, and really, as asinine as it may sound, I think it's one of the best fits for that setup. In their natural setting Lightnings have all of the issues mentioned, and subsequent drawbacks. However, in a chop, it's ideal. Powerful, tidy, and reliable (for an HD) is everything I could ask for in a donor motor.

So basically, if you are going to be dumb like me and ride a chopper, be smart and use a Buell motor.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Armyman25 posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Choom Gangster posted:

I used a Buell Lightning motor for the my chop, and really, as asinine as it may sound, I think it's one of the best fits for that setup. In their natural setting Lightnings have all of the issues mentioned, and subsequent drawbacks. However, in a chop, it's ideal. Powerful, tidy, and reliable (for an HD) is everything I could ask for in a donor motor.

So basically, if you are going to be dumb like me and ride a chopper, be smart and use a Buell motor.

Buells were that insane combo of good stuff that came together to be less than the sum of its parts..

Their frames were great, and Buells always ranked at the top of the list of good handling bikes. Their suspension was nice, the motors were reliable (no matter what people think of Harley itself), the brakes were meh but not terrible.

Somehow that all added up to a bike that wasnt as nice as its parts suggest.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Saga posted:

The 1125R/CR addressed the latter, but the result was a physically large bike that (like the air-cooled Buells) isn't a patch on the premium liter bike competition cosmetically and lags behind them in terms of power.

I rode a CR once. Those Ace bars were just loving ridiculously stupid and it made it so hard to turn and my god did it crank out some heat.

Absolute belter of a motor though. Thing was stupidly fast.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Saga posted:

Says the Triumph owner!

Triumph has nothing on HD for crass merchandise.

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Buell Blast - The bike so lovely, that Buell themselves acknowledged they were better crushed into a cube than ridden

I used that wallpaper for a solid six months.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
All I've seen from Triumph is some cheap T-shirts and some probably rebranded jackets. Is there some secret treasure trove of shwag that doesn't make it across the pond? Or is just anything with a Union Jack on it automagically Triumphgear?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is it bad that I can tell that was taken inside a dealership because of the shelving it's on?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I rode a CR once. Those Ace bars were just loving ridiculously stupid and it made it so hard to turn and my god did it crank out some heat.

Absolute belter of a motor though. Thing was stupidly fast.

I was thinking of getting an "R" from my local Honda dealer before I decided on the Tuono. Just looking at it/sitting on it made me dubious. I mean the Firebolt was at least a compact, purposeful looking beast, albeit with a boat anchor between the engine mounts and the same GM-interior-trim look and feel. I mean GM America from 15 years ago, in case that wasn't obvious.

The 1125 also looked like it would crash really badly - the proud bit of the frame looked to be the second thing that would touch down in a lowside, just after a flimsy bit of top fairing.

The triumph dealerships over here have acres of triumph-branded gear of all kinds. They've taken a leaf out of Ducati's book. And more power to them I guess. But yeah, no Triumph aftershave, suppository case, etc. yet.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Riding buddy has a 1125CR - that bike can haul some serious rear end. Plus it has the counter rotating belt tensioner/pulley thing which I love to watch working for some reason.

I'd ride the poo poo out of one.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Deeters posted:

I've recommended it to some friends for this reason, as long as they're going to be proactive and get rid of it for a new bike in only a year or two. Sometimes they're cheap enough that, if they're running, you might as well buy it for a season. I've only heard terrible things about Blasts so it's nice to hear they aren't completely awful.

Forum stuntastar inolen used to have one...maybe we can get his opinion on how the blast leads one to no-handed 12 o'clock wheelies.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 17, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

nsaP posted:

Forum stuntastar inolen used to have one...maybe we can get his opinion on how the blast leads one to no-handed 12 o'clock wheelies.

I bet they're really good at ghostriding.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

CombatMedic posted:

First thing I noticed was the complete lack of a "friction zone" with the clutch. It was either engaged or it wasn't, which led to the thing jumping out from under you when you are going slow.

We had 2 guys in our group on 2 different Buells lose control and crash because of it.

Everything on the bike seems to be made from pot metal or plastic.

The seat did have a tendency to slide you forward for some reason.

I guess I just don't understand why someone wouldn't have just spent 5 grand on a scooter instead of the worst production bike ever made.

The blast has a shorter friction zone. I personally like it and have no problem controlling the bike with it.

The plastic tank cover does fit loosely. The metal parts on my bike seem fine.

I changed to a new factory low seat and I find it very comfortable. The original tall seat was hard and too wide.

The bike's low cg and centralized mass make it feel very responsive. The engine & rear swing arm are isolated from the rest of the bike by links & rubber dampeners. The bike becomes very smooth above ~2000 rpm because of this.

Mine cost considerably less than $5k, and I picked it over the ninja 250 as a starter bike because I like thumpers and the blast is easier to work on. It comes with more faults than some bikes but they are all fixable yourself.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

elsanto posted:

I've got some miles on a Ulysses. All that torque makes you feel like a stuntman from every stoplight. You really have to shift your weight forward to keep the front wheel down even with lazy acceleration. It is so awesome.

Service can be a breeze or it can be dicey; XB12s seem to walk a fine line between well-engineered simplicity and cad-designed how-did-they-even-get-that-there-in-the-first-place.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Me and my bike support this thread.

'08 Night Rod Special and my first Harley. Bought in April and rode the poo poo out of it all summer, but alas in about an hour I'll be heading out to put it in hibernation for the winter.

Coming from a Kawasaki Vulcan the riding position required some adjustment to be sure, but once I got used to it I loved it. My only complaint is that the stock seat is a bit uncomfortable for long rides, which it why I'll be replacing it before the start of the '12 riding season.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

TheKeeper posted:

Me and my bike support this thread.

'08 Night Rod Special and my first Harley. Bought in April and rode the poo poo out of it all summer, but alas in about an hour I'll be heading out to put it in hibernation for the winter.

Coming from a Kawasaki Vulcan the riding position required some adjustment to be sure, but once I got used to it I loved it. My only complaint is that the stock seat is a bit uncomfortable for long rides, which it why I'll be replacing it before the start of the '12 riding season.

Sup Night Rod buddy?

Have you run into any quirks or problems besides the seat?

Here's another shot of mine:

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 21, 2011

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Having a lightning and a firebolt, both XB9's I'll agree that The brakes won't stand up to track use. I used to have a Daytona 600, traded it for the Lightning.
In retrospect, that wasn't such a good trade, but the Daytona I bought for my ex to ride and it was my last link to her...so it needed to go away.

I'm 6' tall and 190lbs, 34 inch inseam. Even with Uly pegs, the lower ergos are torture, but arms are fine.

If I am just putzing around, I'll take the Lightning, if I want to run 300+ miles, it's the firebolt. I just don't feel comfortable on the Lightning, not that the saddle isn't great, it's that you sit up, and your weight shifts back, unloading the front tire.
I just don't like that.

The firebolt is a weapon for the corners, or long fast rides.

In fact, I am going to go look at an 1125R today that I'd be trading the Lightning for.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

CombatMedic posted:

Sup Night Rod buddy?

Here's another shot of mine:

That sir is a fine looking ride. What seat do you have? That little indent for the tailbone looks mighty comfy!

CombatMedic posted:

Have you run into any quirks or problems besides the seat?

For reference I'm 6'2, ~250lbs.

Not really, other than the previously mentioned adjustment period. When I was driving it home from the dealer I was convinced I would change out the handlebars and add a windshield, but after riding it for a week or so I changed my mind.

That said it can get a little tiring keeping my feet planted on the pegs when traveling at highway speeds (65 - 75mph) for extended periods of time, but I try to limit my time on highways anyway as I prefer utilize back roads while riding.

There's also the ego inflating bonus of having every gas station attendant who's assisted me when filling the bike saying it was one of, if not the, coolest bikes they'd ever seen (a sentiment shared by most of my friends). It's also surprising how very few people even know this bike exists, let alone that it is, of all things, a Harley. The bike definitely turns heads.

TheKeeper fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 22, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Having a lightning and a firebolt, both XB9's I'll agree that The brakes won't stand up to track use. I used to have a Daytona 600, traded it for the Lightning.
In retrospect, that wasn't such a good trade, but the Daytona I bought for my ex to ride and it was my last link to her...so it needed to go away.

I'm 6' tall and 190lbs, 34 inch inseam. Even with Uly pegs, the lower ergos are torture, but arms are fine.

If I am just putzing around, I'll take the Lightning, if I want to run 300+ miles, it's the firebolt. I just don't feel comfortable on the Lightning, not that the saddle isn't great, it's that you sit up, and your weight shifts back, unloading the front tire.
I just don't like that.

The firebolt is a weapon for the corners, or long fast rides.

In fact, I am going to go look at an 1125R today that I'd be trading the Lightning for.

My solution, trade the Lightning for a Daytona 650. Everyone's a winner!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

TheKeeper posted:

There's also the ego inflating bonus of having every gas station attendant who's assisted me when filling the bike saying it was one of, if not the, coolest bikes they'd ever seen (a sentiment shared by most of my friends). It's also surprising how very few people even know this bike exists, let alone that it is, of all things, a Harley. The bike definitely turns heads.

I've gotten the same thing from just about everyone that's seen it with the XR, minus the gas station attendant bit since we don't have those.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

TheKeeper posted:

That sir is a fine looking ride. What seat do you have? That little indent for the tailbone looks mighty comfy!

For reference I'm 6'2, ~250lbs.

Not really, other than the previously mentioned adjustment period. When I was driving it home from the dealer I was convinced I would change out the handlebars and add a windshield, but after riding it for a week or so I changed my mind.

That said it can get a little tiring keeping my feet planted on the pegs when traveling at highway speeds (65 - 75mph) for extended periods of time, but I try to limit my time on highways anyway as I prefer utilize back roads while riding.

That is the new stock seat for 2012. It's why I spent the extra money on a '12 instead of a used '11. Really comfortable. It doesn't create any hot spots, and is good for several hours of riding without walking away with cramps.

They also moved the handlebars up and back, so you are more or less upright unless you're a short person.

And yes, I'm a fairly introverted person, but the number of people stopping to say they like my bike has been pretty awesome.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I like the Muscle personally:

Mostly for tail. It'd be awesome if you could get one with mid-controls rather than the stupid arma and feet stretched right out riding position. Actually, if you could fit a Street Rod with the Muscle bodywork, that'd be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I can't believe they don't offer mids on those. With forwards and that much horsepower, you have to feel like you're going to fly right off the back.

My sporty has around 85hp and I felt like I was going to fly off the back with forwards.

• Locked thread