Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I like the Muscle personally:

Mostly for tail. It'd be awesome if you could get one with mid-controls rather than the stupid arma and feet stretched right out riding position. Actually, if you could fit a Street Rod with the Muscle bodywork, that'd be awesome.

I'm not a "chrome" guy, first of all.

I went into the dealer who happened to have a Muscle and a Night Rod. The Muscle looks MUCH better in pictures. For some reason, the satin finish just doesn't 'pop out' in real life. I really think it should be chrome. Also, after the redesign, the NRS is more comfortable than the Muscle, at least for me. I was still stretching to reach the bars on the Muscle, albeit slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

Buell Blast - The bike so lovely, that Buell themselves acknowledged they were better crushed into a cube than ridden
Killing the Blast meant Harley would have had to develop their own learner bike for their newbie course.

Buell's closure was an act of vengeance. :tinfoil:

Armyman25 posted:

The shear amount of HD merch is crazy. I think you can basically live your entire life utilizing HD gear.

mmm, fridge full of Harley Milk

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

CombatMedic posted:

That is the new stock seat for 2012. It's why I spent the extra money on a '12 instead of a used '11. Really comfortable. It doesn't create any hot spots, and is good for several hours of riding without walking away with cramps.

wouldn't it make more sense to just buy the '12 seat?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Giblet Plus! posted:

Not at all, official H-D parts™ are horrifically expensive; the only time one could argue this might make sense is in purchasing plated / coated parts. Harley's plating / coating in my experience has always been superlative.

Their seats are just "O.K." You're much better off with something like Lepera, which is also expensive as hell, but it shows up much more in the quality of the item

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Giblet Plus! posted:

Well, the seat and the reduced-reach bars. And the warranty.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

How did this get in my kitchen? :iiam:

Don't judge me. The apartment complex says there is a 3 month wait on garages, and I'm leaving for a month for work.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I'm judging you because its in the kitchen, not the living room

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Bonus points if you rode it in.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

CombatMedic posted:

How did this get in my kitchen? :iiam:

Don't judge me. The apartment complex says there is a 3 month wait on garages, and I'm leaving for a month for work.

How comfortable do you think the '12 would be for a nice long tour, like a few thousand miles?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redscare posted:

I'm judging you because its in the kitchen, not the living room
Only R25/3s belong in the living room.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

How comfortable do you think the '12 would be for a nice long tour, like a few thousand miles?

Doable, although you'd want a windshield I'm sure. And some kind of storage. The seat/riding position would be fine, though.

I'm planning on doing that next summer.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

CombatMedic posted:

Doable, although you'd want a windshield I'm sure.

I tour without a shield. I don't enjoy how stiflingly hot it gets in the desert behind a windshield and I feel that I have a lot more hot weather stamina riding naked with a full face.

There are a lot of other reasons, but I'll summarize by suggesting everybody try touring shieldless at least one time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Windshields are dead to me, its much better without one.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I still ride without a windshield but if I were to go on a long trip, I'd put one on.

When I get to 60-65 MPH, it gets pretty fatiguing with the wind trying to rip me off the bike. Especially if there's a headwind.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
After 1000 miles shieldless on the interstate, your comfort tolerance should go up to like 80-85 MPH. 60-65 MPH feels like a light breeze to me.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

After 1000 miles shieldless on the interstate, your comfort tolerance should go up to like 80-85 MPH. 60-65 MPH feels like a light breeze to me.

I guess I'm a wuss. I've put 10,000 miles on shieldless and it still fatigues me riding on the interstate for any length of time.

I've got a pretty sweet fairing/windshield I picked up new for 50 bucks from a guy. I'm going to put that on in the spring. Looks a lot like this:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Scrapez posted:

I guess I'm a wuss. I've put 10,000 miles on shieldless and it still fatigues me riding on the interstate for any length of time.

I've got a pretty sweet fairing/windshield I picked up new for 50 bucks from a guy. I'm going to put that on in the spring. Looks a lot like this:

Do you have a nice helmet that fits you well? Gear that doesn't flap around you? Both of these things are really important for maintaining comfort when riding without a windshield.

Otherwise, yeah, I roll without a windshield for all my touring, including 750+ mile days on a supermoto. I want to be out in the wind. Anything up to 100mph is fine, with a tuck, anything up to around 150mph is fine.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Actually my biggest issue doing long rides with forward control is that pressure you use to keep your feet planted on the pegs at highway speeds. Its not much, but after a few hours it gets old.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok, let's assume that I'm doing long range planning about a passenger who... REALLY enjoys the harley idle. My normal biek's a Weestrom, where would I look for something with a. passenger comfort, b. rider comfort, c. ye harley idle?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Get a bike you want and put a vibrator under the pillion

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Snowdens Secret posted:

Get a bike you want and put a vibrator under the pillion

Ahem

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Phy posted:

Ok, let's assume that I'm doing long range planning about a passenger who... REALLY enjoys the harley idle. My normal biek's a Weestrom, where would I look for something with a. passenger comfort, b. rider comfort, c. ye harley idle?

Your local Harley-Davidson Motor Company Dealer (R) of course.

Given that your normal ride is a Wee, however, anything more substantial than a Sportster 883 is likely to be entirely too manly for you (the correct answer is an XR1200)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The only option is a hardtail. Get those vibes delivered as directly as possible.

Also every road vibe for...bonus times.

Edit: Teach her to sit on the tank while you ride around too.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Get an older bike that doesn't have rubber mounts.

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
After I told my dentist I was riding a 1988 Sportster 883 he said my girlfriend was lucky because Harley's are the world's biggest vibrators. But really, any and every Harley has practically unlimited seating (comfort+styling) options. 2003 or older Sportsters are rigid mounted so you'll feel every vibration everywhere.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Big surprise! A fellow Harley owner is making the rest of you look like retards:

US biker sues Harley in ABS light case

Basically guy claims his idiot lights suggested his Harley is equipped with ABS.
It wasn't, and he didn't realize it, even after 15 months and 12,000 miles.

Has to "lay 'er down" and his wife (pillion) has brain damage as a result of the wreck.

Maybe next he'll sue the state for not making his wife wear a helmet.
Then he can sue every helmet manufacturer for not giving his wife a helmet!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Big surprise! A fellow Harley owner is making the rest of you look like retards:

US biker sues Harley in ABS light case

Basically guy claims his idiot lights suggested his Harley is equipped with ABS.
It wasn't, and he didn't realize it, even after 15 months and 12,000 miles.

Has to "lay 'er down" and his wife (pillion) has brain damage as a result of the wreck.

Maybe next he'll sue the state for not making his wife wear a helmet.
Then he can sue every helmet manufacturer for not giving his wife a helmet!

Why would you even want ABS on your Layerdan Lever?

This reminds me of the first time I really saw american adverts and there was a Hummer advert where it was driving around underwater and at the bottom of the screen there was "DRAMATISATION".

Way to deflect your guilt in not preparing your loved one with basic loving safety gear. I feel sorry for his wife, for a whole multitude of reasons.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
That is so stupid. Manufacturers, bike and automotive alike, have one generic gauge cluster backing that has elements for all the various lights that would be used on that model, even if it doesn't have that. It saves costs and has been that way for ages. I feel bad for the wife, but if she'd worn a helmet, she wouldn't have brain damage.

Edit: This happened in California, so she had to have been wearing something resembling a helmet. Probably one of those Prussian-style replica deals, knowing the sort of people that ride big harleys on the 99.

redscare fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 16, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If Harley is found to be at fault (which I can't imagine they will be), then every single bike and car on the road today should be recalled and fitted with gauges that accurately represent their trim level and option packages.

That's how dumb his lawsuit is.

I understand he's looking for someone/thing to blame, which is natural, but his poor wife won't magically be healed by claiming that the bike should have had abs, and completely relying on a gauge cutout, rather than understanding the bike you've owned for over a year, and paid many thousands of dollars for.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

If Harley is found to be at fault (which I can't imagine they will be), then every single bike and car on the road today should be recalled and fitted with gauges that accurately represent their trim level and option packages.

That's how dumb his lawsuit is.

Nah, Costs way more to recall things so they'll pay a settlement and go on their merry way. Stupid lawsuits like this happen everyday. It's the reason that we have warning labels on everything because people are so stupid.

And actually, the guy may not be stupid. He may just be looking for the $$$. People get paid for their mistakes everyday. America, gently caress yeah! :negative:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I actually gotta side with Daniel J. Layer on this one. Putting a light that says ABS on a vehicle without ABS is misleading. We all know whether or not it really has ABS because we're technical type people who work on bikes and read bike forums. Most people aren't, and shouldn't be punished for not being so.

I'm aware that a lot of vehicle manufacturers do this, though.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm aware that ALL vehicle manufacturers do this, though.

Fixed that.

From my understanding, it did not have an actual light, rather a "placeholder" if you will on the dash without a bulb behind it.

If there is the faint outline of the word "EXIT" on the wall of a business but no door underneath because it's been bricked in and I walk straight into the brick wall, should the business be held accountable or am I just a dumbass?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Scrapez posted:

Fixed that.

From my understanding, it did not have an actual light, rather a "placeholder" if you will on the dash without a bulb behind it.

If there is the faint outline of the word "EXIT" on the wall of a business but no door underneath because it's been bricked in and I walk straight into the brick wall, should the business be held accountable or am I just a dumbass?

this is the best explaination. and no there was no actual lit-up ABS light. it just had the ABS space on the gauge cluster just like every car does, regardless of whether or not it has ABS.
Just like every car, if there's no ABS then the light is simply not there, but that little symbol on the dash remains. You can only see it in bright direct light or with a flashlight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can look at it from the flip side as well. If you think your bike has ABS, and the light doesn't come on when it does it's quick diagnostics and gauge sweep when you turn it on, you should take it to the dealer to find out what's wrong with your ABS.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I still think that's misleading. If it's an unlit light for heated grips, ok, cause who gives a poo poo. But ABS is the most significant safety feature you can get on a motorcycle and it can easily mean the difference between life and death. There should be no ambiguities about poo poo like that. Especially since we're talking about a couple dollar part (plastic dashboard face or something) that would not bankrupt a company to make 2-3 versions of.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I still think that's misleading. If it's an unlit light for heated grips, ok, cause who gives a poo poo. But ABS is the most significant safety feature you can get on a motorcycle and it can easily mean the difference between life and death. There should be no ambiguities about poo poo like that. Especially since we're talking about a couple dollar part (plastic dashboard face or something) that would not bankrupt a company to make 2-3 versions of.

There are no ambiguities. I get into my brand new car. The ABS light doesn't come on with the rest of the lights on the test. I go to a gravel parking lot and lock the brakes up. I go to the dealer. "Your car does not have ABS." Confusion forever and irrevocably resolved.

Even if I only drive the car in straight lines on Saturday mornings with no wind, rain, or clouds, I test the nondestructive safety features at least once. If you don't and haven't done this, then you are irresponsible, and can't prove sound judgement, and aren't allowed to have the government make your judgement calls for you at someone else's expense.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Come on, that is a crock.

My Jeep has a controls for blue tooth phone connection right on the face panel for the radio, but since I didn't choose to pay for the navi system, that option is not available to me.

So if I get in a wreck and can't reach my phone, I should sue Chrysler cause I can't call 911 using hands free?

I know what options came on the vehicle I bought and if you are too stupid to even read the contract you are signing (much less choose the options you are paying for) then you should have NO right to sue later.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There are no ambiguities. I get into my brand new car. The ABS light doesn't come on with the rest of the lights on the test. I go to a gravel parking lot and lock the brakes up. I go to the dealer. "Your car does not have ABS." Confusion forever and irrevocably resolved.

Even if I only drive the car in straight lines on Saturday mornings with no wind, rain, or clouds, I test the nondestructive safety features at least once. If you don't and haven't done this, then you are irresponsible, and can't prove sound judgement, and aren't allowed to have the government make your judgement calls for you at someone else's expense.
There are no ambiguities to you because as I said you're an automotively minded guy who went out of his way to test something that no normal person would test or should be expected to test. Does an airline expect you the layperson customer to test whether their seatbelts or oxygen masks work before you consent to go up in the plane? No, they're just supposed to work, and it's supposed to be abundantly clear even to technologically ignorant people what they are and how to use them.

DILLIGAF posted:

Come on, that is a crock.

My Jeep has a controls for blue tooth phone connection right on the face panel for the radio, but since I didn't choose to pay for the navi system, that option is not available to me.

So if I get in a wreck and can't reach my phone, I should sue Chrysler cause I can't call 911 using hands free?

I know what options came on the vehicle I bought and if you are too stupid to even read the contract you are signing (much less choose the options you are paying for) then you should have NO right to sue later.
Pretty sure I addressed this point when I mentioned the heated grips. Bluetooth cannot be construed as a life-saving device, which ABS is specifically designed to be.

I'm not saying I endorse this guy's lawsuit, I think he's a loving idiot too. But I think it's immoral from a manufacturer's perspective to make products that have user-interface ambiguities about life saving safety components. I don't think you should gently caress around with that stuff. And it [ABS] is way more significant on bikes than on cars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm not saying I endorse this guy's lawsuit, I think he's a loving idiot too. But I think it's immoral from a manufacturer's perspective to make products that have user-interface ambiguities about life saving safety components. I don't think you should gently caress around with that stuff. And it [ABS] is way more significant on bikes than on cars.

There is no ambiguity. It's a shared gauge cluster and the text "ABS" is on there in black on black, only visible in direct sunlight or if you're specifically looking for it with a flashlight. Starkly unlike the actual available features on that particular bike, identified by actually lighting up and being visible in normal conditions.

The gauge cluster in my car is shared with a bunch of other models and engine variants. It has a 7000rpm rev counter and shows lights for diff locks, 4x4 engagement, outside temperature warning, automatic gearbox failure, front fog lights, parking sensor and a bunch of others.

Should I sue the manufacturer because my FWD diesel variant has or does none of those things, yet the text and icons for the lights are somewhat visible under perfect lighting conditions?

gently caress no. "Idiot lights", indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think if your harley doesn't have ABS it should do the same thing that my camry (with broken and rusted-in ABS sensors) does to let you know that you have no ABS: keep the light lit all the time.

I mean, they are called idiot lights for a reason. Because most people operating vehicles are idiots nowadays. If light is not lit up, then nothing is wrong! See: check engine light, TPMS, oil pressure light

• Locked thread