Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Riding Harleys for years means my dad rides around with this turn signal on 50% on the time now that he's got a Japanese bike. Lack of proper riding training back in the day also means the rides around with both his feet hovering along at low speeds, god that's awful to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Jesus, yeah, my dad does that too. Story time!

My dad rode Harley's from the 70's up until the early 80's. He was the typical outlaw biker guy, drinking, doing lots of drugs, went to jail for assaulting some cops, etc. He stopped riding when he wrecked his bike, and finally got his poo poo together shortly after that. Growing up around bikers, I'd always wanted my own motorcycle. A few years ago when I decided I could finally afford my own, I told him I was going to purchase one. He says to me "You can't buy a bike! You know how dangerous those things are?!" I replied "Hey look pal, I'm way more responsible at 30 than you ever were at my age." He shut up, and never brought it up again. He actually tells his friends this story now. Anyway, buying mine planted the seed in his head, and he decided he was ready to buy another one since he was close to retiring. He would brag about what a great rider he was, and how he'd "ride circles around" me when I'd tease him.

Finally, the day arrived when he would buy a bike. We went to one of the local dealers, and he picked out an '09 Fatboy for a pretty reasonable price. I'd been pushing him to take the safety course, but a stubborn old former biker who thinks he knows it all... Anyway, I figured that while he'd be a bit rusty, he'd take to it in no time. Ho-lee-poo poo. Worst rider I've ever seen in my life. As we're pulling out of the parking lot, he's doing the waddle and having trouble stopping, only using the front brake. I followed closely behind in my car, acting as a buffer for the traffic. I thought he'd drop it. He took the corner to my house SUPER wide, nearly hitting the curb. When we pulled up to my house, I said "Get the gently caress off that thing before you smash your skull open". I gave him a few pointers, and visibly cringed when he rode it home. He's probably dropped it since, no idea really, and I'm still pushing him to take the course, which I'm sure he never will. At least he's a slightly better rider now.

Took this on that day.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Had to take a couple weeks off riding because I messed up my ankle. Riding my Heritage with fresh eyes , I noticed how much the handlebars are out of alignment. Is this just a question of loosening a few bolts, wiggle wiggle, re-tighten?

Edit: would this correlate to the bike gently wobbling at 70+ mph? I'm starting to notice that I need to hold 'er steady, but it wants to wobble. It's subtle, but it's there. Anything I can do/check, or should I just take it to the shop.

epswing fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 27, 2017

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

epalm posted:

Had to take a couple weeks off riding because I messed up my ankle. Riding my Heritage with fresh eyes , I noticed how much the handlebars are out of alignment. Is this just a question of loosening a few bolts, wiggle wiggle, re-tighten?

Edit: would this correlate to the bike gently wobbling at 70+ mph? I'm starting to notice that I need to hold 'er steady, but it wants to wobble. It's subtle, but it's there. Anything I can do/check, or should I just take it to the shop.

You can loosen the bars and adjust to see if that's your problem. It's possible someone has dropped it at some point and bent the bars if you bought it used.

The wobble you describe sounds like "head shake" which is pretty common on the touring bikes. I would make sure your steering neck bearings are in good shape and don't have any slop.

On my Road King, no matter what I do, I get some head shake at 70ish mph when I have the windshield on it. It's annoying as hell.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Scrapez posted:

"head shake" which is pretty common on the touring bikes

Shouldn't "touring motorcycles" be 10000% solid at highway speeds? Am I crazy to think it's crazy that this is a common thing?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

epalm posted:

Shouldn't "touring motorcycles" be 10000% solid at highway speeds? Am I crazy to think it's crazy that this is a common thing?

Should be but it is a very common issue. I think it afflicted the older frame models up to 2007. The newer frame I don't believe has the issue as much.

With mine, it doesn't happen all the time but if I have the windshield on and kind of a cross-wind or tail/cross-wind, I notice a slight vibration/wobble. If I take my hands off the bars, it definitely ticks back and forth slightly. Doesn't happen when the windshield is off or there's not the right wind. So it has to do with buffeting on mine.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Are your tires aired up?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
With the Dynas, my understanding is that wobbles at speed is often caused by one of two things. Bad front (lower) motor mount, and/or bad swing-arm bushing. I'm not sure how well that translates to a touring frame bike though. Maybe not at all. Or wait, is the heritage a softtail?

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 28, 2017

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

trouser chili posted:

Or wait, is the heritage a softtail?

Yes, it is.

(E): Likely, the issue is related to your steering head bearing, possibly needing an adjustment.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 28, 2017

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Harley-Davidson Releases New Motorcycle Designed For Men

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Not gonna lie, based on the text, I clicked the link fully expecting a picture of a 1290 SuperDuke with a Harley logo photoshopped onto it, since it's infinitely more suited to being an outlaw and dangerous hooligan rebel than anything HD has ever cranked out in their entire 114 year history. The article was kinda disappointing.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I bought a '73 Sportster a few months ago, real cheap. Ugly but runs strong.

That headlight is ugly and I want to put different handlebars on it.
The forward controls are kind of useless so I'm putting the stock controls on it. (I had a '73 basket case so I have a bunch of extra parts)

None of the hardware matched, like all the bolts and nuts are wacky sizes, and the wiring was a mess.

So I tore it down and touched up the frame and got rid of the ugly headlight. Don't really have pics of that stuff, but started to shoot some when I got to work on the paint.

I had an old peanut tank laying around, it had been painted with latex paint and my soda blaster wouldn't scratch it, so I did about 5 applications of paint stripper before it got to this point:

Then was able to get it blasted nicely down to the metal.

I then de-rusted the inside of the tank with acid then sealed it.

There were a couple of dings in it that I filler'd up, then hit it with some primer.

Then some coats of metallic purple

Today I put some mid clear with metal flake then some plain clear over that.

Going to give it a long time to dry up good then see how a polish looks on it.

I did the fender at the same time bud didn't take any pictures of it yet.

I'll try to take more pictures as I go along and post 'em.

MattO fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 20, 2017

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Had the oil cooler mount modified to accommodate a crash bar. Need to order some new fairing bracket mounts because apparently RevZilla shipped me the wrong size. I think it looks pretty good naked, but I did NOT miss the freeway wind on my chest.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

MattO posted:

Going to give it a long time to dry up good then see how a polish looks on it.

I did the fender at the same time bud didn't take any pictures of it yet.

I'll try to take more pictures as I go along and post 'em.

Wow that looks great. Great choice on the color, thanks for not being lazy and going matte black for the BLACKED OUT TOO TOUGH TO CARE ABOUT COLOR look

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

PSA: If you have a bike that has a twin cam 88 with the old style tensioners (99-06 years) INSPECT THEM WELL!

My inner tensioners failed, crank run-out is way out of spec. Took out oil pump, lifters, cams, etc.

Having said that, having motor built back up with new crank, new style hydraulic cam plate/oil pump, cams and doing 95 big bore while it's apart.

Anyone here running an 88 that's been bored to 95 and running aftermarket cams? What are you running?

I'm thinking of going with Screamin Eagle 204 as everything I've read says they come on quickly in lower rpm range. I'm not going to be porting the heads at this point since I'm already sinking a poo poo ton of money into the thing. Any thoughts on cam selection from a tried and true setup would be great.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Even with the new style (hydraulic), you should be inspecting them every 25,000 miles or so. Cause it's hosed engine otherwise.

Give any thought to a used 103?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I looked at a ton of motors but in the end, saving $1000 and having a motor of unknown history wasn't worth it. So, having then build mine. Plus, the serial numbers on the bike will still match now.

I thought about doing a 103" crank since it's getting replaced but to be honest, they don't seem to make much more power than a 95" and then you kind of have a one off. I'm looking for reliability and not crazy power.

It's getting built as a 95" with S&S 510 cams. Can keep the stock valves with them since they're low lift cams. Should make good power and it's a proven reliable combo.

Definitely will keep an eye on the tensioners. I didn't want to go gear drive unless I had the crank welded or went with an S&S 3 piece crank.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Yeah, I wouldn't be interested in gears either. The lower ends aren't precise enough for it unless you want to spend a bunch more money. Can you convert to hydraulic tensioners though?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Definitely doing the hydraulic tensioners. They come with the higher flow oil pump which is a nice bonus.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
I've never had a problem with HD turn signals. Friggin love them, in fact. Much better than the single button 80's import cruiser signal switch bikes I rode for years. I've not ever noticed anything weird about the auto-cancelling feature either. O.o

What I have noticed, is now that my bike is nearing 15 years old is these weird bolts HD used to hold their air filter assembly on:

...have given up the ghost. They're stripped. The fuckin things just sit there and turn when I try to remove them. I guess the plastic BS they are anchored to let the glue on the back loose or something, because you can't remove the air filter assembly right now. After calling my bike expert who informed me in a matter of fact tone "Well just cut the loving thing off with a hack saw blade and buy a new one" I am at a loss, as I do not want to take a hacksaw blade to the air filter assembly and remove it that way.

Any ideas?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Been awhile since I had my sporty but are you saying you've removed the air cleaner cover (2 Philips head screws) and the filter and you're trying to remove the plastic backing from the carb?

I thought they were either Philips screws or perhaps torx. Are you saying they are some type of plastic screws?

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

Scrapez posted:

Been awhile since I had my sporty but are you saying you've removed the air cleaner cover (2 Philips head screws) and the filter and you're trying to remove the plastic backing from the carb?

I thought they were either Philips screws or perhaps torx. Are you saying they are some type of plastic screws?

No. You can get the plate with the fancy logo off, but you cannot undo the two screw underneath (2 phillips, as you mentioned). They just spin. I'd like to disassemble and clean the carb before winter but that's tough to do with a cover that won't come off.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Are you talking about these two bolts that hold the air cleaner backing plate on?

They screw into the heads I believe and I'm not sure how those would just spin unless the insert in the head is spinning with the bolt...

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Mine got loose like that and I think I used a drill with a phillips bit and pulled on the air cleaner to get them off. Once I had it apart I used red locktite on the inner parts so it wouldn't happen again.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well, thanks for putting it in your username, anyway

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Anyone running one of the EBay led headlights? My low beam stopped working today.

Considering trying these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/192228772563

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Scrapez posted:

Anyone running one of the EBay led headlights? My low beam stopped working today.

I've got one of those from Amazon on my crossbones. It's an improvement from the stock light but I'm sure a JW Speaker branded one is better at 3x the cost...

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I ordered a set of LED headlight/passing lights off Ebay so we'll see how they are. For $100 I figured it's worth the gamble.

On a separate note, My chain tensioners in my twin cam 88 Road King took a crap and the whole cam chest proceeded to get shredded. Crankshaft runout was like 27 million inches or thereabouts. (Completely hosed)

Sooooooo. Just got my bike back with brand new crankshaft, S&S 510 cams, S&S hydraulic tensioner/cam chest upgrade with better oil pump, 95" big bore top end. Still breaking the bike in so going easy on it but holy poo poo is it an improvement over a stock TC88. I kind of wish I'd gone with a different cam that has it's powerband a bit lower in the rpm range but it's still really awesome. At 75 on the highway it is right in the powerband and holy poo poo what a difference. It will be fun riding solo on and thrashing on a bit. Do wish the power came on sooner for 2-up riding, though.

I went from a sporty with 1250/cams/heads, etc doing around 90 hp to a Road King with a stock tc88 so these upgrades make the bike a lot more fun to ride and a lot more like the sporty was.

Plan is to ride it this fall and then have it dyno tuned in the Spring. I got a new base map from DynoJet and threw that on it today. DynoJet is really awesome about customer service, by the way. I didn't do anything with the heads. Down the road, I may switch out the S&S 510 cams for something more aggressive and higher lift and have the heads done.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So I have a 2008 dyna, its basically stock (except now it has a FP3 flash tuner and a small air cleaner). It does this thing every once in a while where I will get off the highway and it won't idle. It will run if I stay on the throttle though. Once I let it die I can usually restart it and it will be fine. Though sometimes I have to power cycle the bike (key off). It has not started doing this way more often, sometimes it will idle extremely high (2,500 rpm).

I have read that the Idle Control Valve can sometimes cause this because its dirty. I attempted to clean it with some carb cleaner but it did not appear to make any difference. I have checked for codes but it hasn't thrown any. Since its intermittent I don't really want to take it to harley since they won't be be able to reproduce it.

The main thing that is strange is that power cycling the bike always seems to fix it. I really don't understand why this would even be the case. I don't think that the FP3 has a way to log the data its sees unfortunately or that could really help me determine what is going on.

If anyone else has run into this kind of thing or has suggestions on how to troubleshoot it I would be happy to hear.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
All the IACs I've seen (Ford Mustang, Buell XB) need to be taken apart to be cleaned properly.

But you should check for intake leaks. Get some starter fluid and spray it around your intake boots while running, observe the idle, if it goes up or down you know it's leaky. I know at least on the unit Evo, those tiny little rubber intake seals don't last too terribly long. The good news is if it's not a XB, they're easy to get to.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

clutchpuck posted:

All the IACs I've seen (Ford Mustang, Buell XB) need to be taken apart to be cleaned properly.

But you should check for intake leaks. Get some starter fluid and spray it around your intake boots while running, observe the idle, if it goes up or down you know it's leaky. I know at least on the unit Evo, those tiny little rubber intake seals don't last too terribly long. The good news is if it's not a XB, they're easy to get to.

Yah so the reason why power cycling bike was fixing it. Is because when you turn the bike off then on again it cycles the valve and unsticks it. I sprayed carb cleaner at it and a ton of black deposits came out. The bike immediately idled better and it has yet to die again.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Scrapez posted:

My friend bought one of these for his Road King and it's the most annoying loving thing in the world. We rode like 2500 miles and in the dark, he was forced to ride ahead of the group in order to keep our retinas from getting burned. But holy poo poo, does it light up the country roads in the dark, I tell ya

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

My friend bought one of these for his Road King and it's the most annoying loving thing in the world. We rode like 2500 miles and in the dark, he was forced to ride ahead of the group in order to keep our retinas from getting burned. But holy poo poo, does it light up the country roads in the dark, I tell ya

Tell your mate to stop being a oval office and adjust his headlight.

Those LED units are super good though, million times better than most factory HD headlamps.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Yesterday I traded in my 2011 Nightster for a 2018 Sport Glide.

The comfort level of the Nightster could be considered "cruel and unusual" where with the Sport Glide I was not even aware of potholes or manhole covers. Also it has cruise control, which is something I've wanted in a motorcycle since I finished the basic rider's course.

The problem is that this is apparently such a new model that there's little in the way of aftermarket exhaust for the thing. V&H makes Short Shots for the FLSB, but I'm concerned that the exhaust being right under the rear bags would be an issue. I've never had bags before. There's also a performance thing. They were weird when I put them on my Nightster until I tuned it, and HD apparently won't sell the super tuners anymore.

Or I could just wait until V&H releases the 2-1 in late June, which just means I have to sound like a Jetson's car for a few months.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Strife posted:

The comfort level of the Nightster could be considered "cruel and unusual" where with the Sport Glide I was not even aware of potholes or manhole covers. Also it has cruise control, which is something I've wanted in a motorcycle since I finished the basic rider's course.

The problem is that this is apparently such a new model that there's little in the way of aftermarket exhaust for the thing. V&H makes Short Shots for the FLSB, but I'm concerned that the exhaust being right under the rear bags would be an issue. I've never had bags before. There's also a performance thing. They were weird when I put them on my Nightster until I tuned it, and HD apparently won't sell the super tuners anymore.

Or I could just wait until V&H releases the 2-1 in late June, which just means I have to sound like a Jetson's car for a few months.

Congrats! Of course HD won't sell you the tuner. That way they can sell you their tuning services! At least that's what my local shop does.

Here's my softail and her little dirt bike sister in their new home for the season. Liberated them from storage yesterday. Feels good, man. Now the wife is cranky and sad because she's pregnant and can't hop on the back for a run to her favorite pizza place an hour away. I'm already filled with regret not getting the Buell rolling again yet :(

I have until winter to figure out the cheapest way to get something on the ground for the back part of my barn/garage. I'm not parking these on a dirt floor all winter this year.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Nerdrock posted:

Congrats! Of course HD won't sell you the tuner. That way they can sell you their tuning services! At least that's what my local shop does.

I've never tuned a bike outside of my garage. Will the dealership give me a hard time about parts they didn't put on? I'm afraid they'll just tell me to beat it, and also tell me I've voided my warranty.

Also, any tips on getting your wife on the back? Mine is terrified of motorcycles.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Strife posted:

I've never tuned a bike outside of my garage. Will the dealership give me a hard time about parts they didn't put on? I'm afraid they'll just tell me to beat it, and also tell me I've voided my warranty.

Also, any tips on getting your wife on the back? Mine is terrified of motorcycles.

1) No clue. That's an easy question they'd probably answer with a phone call. One part of me figures they'd be happy to take your money to do the work, but I don't know about warranty shenanigans. My late father had bought the softail from our local dealer, and got mad that my CBR was louder, so he brought it back to the dealership with a wad of cash and just said "yeah my drat kid's lovely crotch rocket is louder than this Harley. This is bullshit. Put on one of those screamin' eagle pipes and make it work good"

2) It's too late. I courted mine with the premise that it's something we'd be doing. We met out at bars a couple times and our first 'date' was taking a ride on my '93 CBR 1000f. In all seriousness : I'd just start with a slow calm trip around town for 10-15 minutes and see how she reacts, if you can. My wife liked the CBR because it had an 'oh poo poo' handle on the back she could sense for peace of mind (and it was a big comfy seat as more of a 'touring' type sportbike). She made me get a backrest for her the Softail. She went from hating the harley to loving it, after that addon.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife how do you think the Milwaukee engine compares to the old twin cam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Strife posted:

Nice bike!

Wait for the 2 into 1. The short shots are short drag pipes and rob torque. The 2 into 1 will give better performance.

• Locked thread