Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Strife how do you think the Milwaukee engine compares to the old twin cam?

Hard to say. I've only been on the Sport Glide for about 50 miles (just got it Sunday afternoon), but it's got more pickup than the evo had, which makes sense given the difference in displacement. I'm curious how it handles the whole oil cooling cylinder shutoff in high heat thing, so summer will be the real test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Finally got myself a set of LeatherPros bags with my taxe rebate. These bags are great, and I wish I had bought them sooner.

Also, this is required so all the clubs leave you alone.

Has anyone ridden the Street Rod 750 yet? I was interested in one as a commuter bike, because I'd like something that's a cruiser, liquid cooled, and relatively cheap. Dealer let me take one out, and while it felt peppy enough, it was extremely uncomfortable for my height (6"). Shame, because I like they way they look. Right now I'm split between the Indian Scout Bobber and the Triumph Bonneville Bobber/Bobber Black. I think the Triumph looks amazing, but on the paper, the Scout just seems like a much better bike.

Duck_King fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 18, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've ridden a few street 500/750's. I like the engine and how they ride, but I agree they're a midget's bike. Also the switchgear and other plastic parts felt horribly cheap compared to a Japanese bike or 'real' Harley.

I'd take the new Bonneville over a scout any day of the week cause they handle a billion times better than most other cruisers but that's just me.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Good to know, as I haven't test ridden either of them. I checked them out in person, but I'm not ready to buy, and I told the salesman that I didn't want to waste his time/get his hopes up. The reason I'm leaning towards the scout right now is that it has a lot more power for the price, and I guess it's really easy to scrape the pipes on the Triumph.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Strife posted:

Hard to say. I've only been on the Sport Glide for about 50 miles (just got it Sunday afternoon), but it's got more pickup than the evo had, which makes sense given the difference in displacement. I'm curious how it handles the whole oil cooling cylinder shutoff in high heat thing, so summer will be the real test.

Alright, I'm about 1500 more miles into the bike, so let me tell you about the 2018(.5) Harley Sport Glide.

Pictured naked, because the front fairing and bags come off in about 30 seconds.

I should mention that almost all of my riding experience is with a 2011 Sportster, so its mostly in comparison to that.

The ride is very comfortable. Initially when I test rode it, I was very surprised that going over bumps didn't hurt nearly as bad as they did on my Sportster. I guess I could have remedied that with better shocks, but it's nice to be able to adjust the suspension of a bike on the fly. I'm around 200lbs, so I've got it set to about 0, and it's great. The other surprise was how well it handles. It's not a sport bike by any means, but I basically grew up hearing that I'll never ride a HD bike that's as nimble as the Sportster. The center of gravity on the bike is very low, which makes it just as agile. I've scraped the pegs a few times, and it feels like the same clearance as the Sporty.

In terms of features, the bike has all the same accouterments as the rest of the Softail lineup. Digital gauges (miles to empty?? what??), cruise control, ABS (only one front disk), and that hand-adjustable suspension. It also has a slightly larger oil tank to accommodate the oil-cooling system in the new M8 motors.

Negatives? Well, the front fairing is kind of stupid. They say that it decreases the wind on your chest, but it's really more like decreasing the wind on your crotch. I'm 5'9, and I feel just as much wind, but the bike is definitely a little less exhausting at 80MPH. Also, the performance of bikes coming out of the factory is pretty poor. Nobody buys HD motorcycles expecting to win races, but with the EPA regulations choking the bikes out of the gate, you'll need some air/exhaust and fuel management to get it up to what you're probably used to. Unfortunately there's almost no aftermarket yet since it's a mid-year model. There's some Bassani pipes, but the V&H stuff is mostly delayed until August at this point. I emailed V&H for an updated ETA and haven't gotten a response yet.

The biggest negative is probably the price, $18.5. The dealership gave me 5k for my Sportster, and this bike had literally everything I wanted, so it made sense to me. I expect to probably see a lot of them on the road in the next few years, I guess as long as Harley doesn't go out of business.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Didn't HD stop offering tunes for their poo poo because they payed some ridiculous EPA violation fine a while back?

Fake Edit: Yup https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/harley-davidson-clean-air-act-settlement

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Digital_Jesus posted:

Didn't HD stop offering tunes for their poo poo because they payed some ridiculous EPA violation fine a while back?

Fake Edit: Yup https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/harley-davidson-clean-air-act-settlement

Yeah, and they had to stop selling the pro tuner, evidently because they only serve to increase air pollution. I bought a V&H FP3, which does the same thing as the pro tuner, albeit a bit more efficiently.

Strife fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 7, 2018

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I have dealt with Harley-Davidson the corporation enough in the ten years or so I've owned one of their motorcycles that I feel I can say with a bit of confidence that this organization does not deserve your, or anyone else's money.

My '04 FXSTDI is still one of the coolest-looking (and definitely best-sounding) cruisers I've seen anywhere, and I'm glad for that because it's likely going to sell for above its market value, and certainly going to sell above its value insofar as I perceive it.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Schlieren posted:

I have dealt with Harley-Davidson the corporation enough in the ten years or so I've owned one of their motorcycles that I feel I can say with a bit of confidence that this organization does not deserve your, or anyone else's money.

My '04 FXSTDI is still one of the coolest-looking (and definitely best-sounding) cruisers I've seen anywhere, and I'm glad for that because it's likely going to sell for above its market value, and certainly going to sell above its value insofar as I perceive it.

I've also dealt with them for 10 years and they've been fine? Granted that's because my local dealer/mechanic is pretty on point. Also I don't give a poo poo about pro tuners or whatever. Care to elaborate on why you think that they don't deserve anyone's money?

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Eh okay, I went back and read that you've had bad experiences with dealers. Sorry about your bad dealer experiences, friend.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dealers =/= the company that makes the product. Dealers are pretty much all trash scum regardless of what bikes they sell.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

I guess it struck me as weird that someone would say, hey don't give this company money, and then immediately in the next sentence praise the product they make. But like I said, reading back through the thread shed light on the bike problems, dealer problems, etc.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I'd say its a perfectly reasonable sentiment.

Dealers represent the brands they sell. If they're willing to shaft customers and make your life difficult for having the audacity to spend money at their shop, then the brand they sell isn't trying hard enough to discourage that kind of behavior (worse yet they do plenty to encourage it with the way some of them treat the dealers), and it taints the customers view of the dealer and the products they sell.

E: I guess I'd say that my opinion on it is mostly limited to single-brand dealers. Plenty of dealers/mechanic shops are also just bad aside from the brands they sell, but that image still reflects back on the product. ("Oh I'll never buy another X again because the only dealer in town is garbage and I dont want to go there, so I'll buy Y instead")

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 11, 2018

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I just got back from a trip from Austin, tx to Bloomington, IN and back. It was a lot of fun even though I was by myself. Out of the 5 days riding I only got rained on one time by some miracle.

I camped one day in hot springs, Arkansas, it was way to hot to be camping really. But that area is gorgeous and I want to go back later on this year when it’s cooler out.

This is how the bike was setup. Had my detachable windscreen on and my phone connected to a rechargeable battery pack. All of my stuff was in a big duffle bag tied to my sissy bar. It all seemed to work just fine for the trip. Other then having some weirdness with idle coming off the highway the first day. Which was likely due to having just replaced the idle air control valve I didn't have any issues at all.

Valt fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 11, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If your stuff wasn't in that bag, where was it? :haw:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

algebra testes posted:

If your stuff wasn't in that bag, where was it? :haw:

Whoops auto correct got me!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Question:

Any reason I should keep going to my harley dealer for regular maintenance, who charged me 200 bux last 2 times,

Vs going to a local motorcycle garage and having them do an oil change for 50 bux?

I know option 3 is do it yourself, but let's pretend I dont have the tools time or knowledge to do that.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

The Bananana posted:

Question:

Any reason I should keep going to my harley dealer for regular maintenance, who charged me 200 bux last 2 times,

Vs going to a local motorcycle garage and having them do an oil change for 50 bux?

I know option 3 is do it yourself, but let's pretend I dont have the tools time or knowledge to do that.

Only if you give a poo poo about showing that you adhered to regular maintenance. The first service is probably important, especially on the new motors, but there's nothing that someone else can't accomplish with a service manual and a torque wrench.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

The Bananana posted:

Question:

The oil alone will be more then 50 bucks just a heads up, if you are changing all of the fluids. Also its like 3 bolts to take out all of the drain plugs, plus a torx bit to take the derby cover off. If you are just changing the engine oil its just the drain plug and the oil filter.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Fuckin' Harley Davidson, man.

My wife has never ridden on the back of a motorcycle, but she said she'd like to now that I own a bike with a rear seat. But because she's never done it, she wanted me to get a sissy bar. Fine, no problem. I ordered one for the Sport Glide thinking that it would just clip onto the screws that hold the bags in place. My brother has a 2008 Road Glide, and the backrest has recesses for bolts close to where they are on my bike, but not quite. I figured I just needed to get one for my bike.

Nope.

It turns out that, yes, while the backrest goes exactly where those bolts are, the stock spacers are wrong.

My finger is holding up the stock one, and the new ones with the grooves for the backrest are installed. The longer part is the screw that the bag hooks onto.

What the gently caress? There's absolutely zero reason why they wouldn't just sell the bike with those spacers that would let you put the backrest on. I get not making changes that would alter the aesthetic of the bike, better to let the customer do that. Sure. But this changes nothing visually, it just forces people to pay an extra $50 on top of the cost for the backrest. And the cushion.

Hate the company, love the bikes, as they say. Gotta make up for lost revenue somewhere I guess.

It's pretty subtle once installed though.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Strife posted:

What the gently caress? There's absolutely zero reason why they wouldn't just sell the bike with those spacers that would let you put the backrest on. I get not making changes that would alter the aesthetic of the bike, better to let the customer do that. Sure. But this changes nothing visually, it just forces people to pay an extra $50 on top of the cost for the backrest. And the cushion.

It gets dumber. I have an '18 FXFBS and the shop refused to throw on the docking hardware you have that accepts saddlebags unless I switched the exhaust out preemptively since they don't make any bags that clear the factory exhaust on a FXFBS.

Apparently if the shop ignores the safety notices in installation instructions Harley obligates them to try to deny your warranty claims whenever tangentially relevant. (Example provided: FXFBS doesn't support that bag so obviously the extra weight caused your swingarm suspension to fail!)

So I am now looking for a trunk bag larger than my tool roll bag that anchors down with straps because the workaround for the lovely $80 passenger backrest that falls off continuously with the short sissy bar is to wedge it in there with a bag. Once the warranty dies I am going to do whatever the gently caress I want.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

The Bananana posted:

Question:

Probably fine to do that. The motors don't require a lot of attention, just keep fluids fresh and they are pretty fine. I mean, do it yourself though. Because the time investment for a diy oil change service will be less than that of making an appointment at the shop and getting the bike there and back. And that's a great opportunity to acquire knowledge and tools and who doesn't like acquiring tools.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Anybody know how hot an M8 107 should run? I just changed the exhaust and it seems hotter, but it might just be breaking the pipes in. Or, yknow, I hosed something up.

It's been around 75 here lately, and I've noticed that it'll read about 275° F when I'm moving. I looked it up and that seems like it would be normal, but figured I would double check. It just seems kinda hot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's pretty normal for a big air cooled lump. Did you have it remapped for the pipes? What do your spark plugs look like?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

That's pretty normal for a big air cooled lump. Did you have it remapped for the pipes? What do your spark plugs look like?

Yeah I remapped it with the FP3. So it’s specific for that exhaust with any aftermarket intake. I have an Arlen Ness; figured that would be good enough.

Haven’t checked the plugs but I’ll give it a few more miles and take a look. Good call.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Strife posted:

Yeah I remapped it with the FP3. So it’s specific for that exhaust with any aftermarket intake. I have an Arlen Ness; figured that would be good enough.

Haven’t checked the plugs but I’ll give it a few more miles and take a look. Good call.

I have a bone stock Fat Bob 114 with stock pipes and that thing gets hot as hell. The rear cylinder fries my right leg/nut when I'm stopped if I don't leave it up on the peg. I haven't measured it, but exhaust temps of 275 seem reasonable to me, even with stock pipes.

EITMS activates every time I stop at the intersection on my way home after getting off the freeway and it kicks in at 287.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

windex posted:

I have a bone stock Fat Bob 114

Post more you loving legend, those are incredible.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Post more you loving legend, those are incredible.

Just for you, I broke out the real camera:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure I was aware of this model, but not what it looked like. Holy cow that's beautiful and :perfect: . I'd daily the heck out of that. Nice tail rack and colors.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Coydog posted:

I'm pretty sure I was aware of this model, but not what it looked like. Holy cow that's beautiful and :perfect: . I'd daily the heck out of that. Nice tail rack and colors.

I flipped the mirrors and threw on a bag (118 from Leatherworks in Stockton, CA). That white is great, the flash + my Lightroom presets don't do it justice, needs sun.

I really like the bike for commuting, that's why it has gopros and tank magnet cell phone bag/charge cable on it. I found out tailgating virtually ceases when you have a GoPro mounted on the tail facing back even if it's off. :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

windex posted:

Just for you, I broke out the real camera:

:circlefap:

What kind of gas mileage out of curiosity? What's it like on long trips?

Coydog posted:

Stroll into a showroom and look at any of the new softtails up close, the quality and level of detailing is pretty impressive. Reminds me of cb1100, vitpilen, duc 99#'s and so on; every little thing seems like it's custom made for that particular model, no generic parts. It blows my mind that you can buy that brand new alongside other brand new bikes that have hardware store looking nuts and bolts holding the pegs and so on.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

It's been a consistent 44-47, it has one of those new fangled auto-off compatible motorcycle gas fuel intakes but you still have to mess with it to get it to take a full 3.2 gallons once it hits "Low" prior to reserve (.4 gallons before reserve hits), so my numbers could be skewed. Harley claims 47, though.

General thoughts in regards to your other comments:

The build quality is excellent however there were a couple spots on the rear upper frame (the part that holds the fender) where there were visible tool marks (they look like guide marks for a metal press brake that didn't get ground out on finish) that eventually led to paint flaking, frame touch up pen fixed it enough to ward off any potential rust, but it's visible.

The short sissy bar backrest pads are also trash unless you throw some rubber tape on them to hold them in place. Every time my seven year old got on the bike she'd knock the pad off.

Transmission is at least as hard to get into neutral as any other modern (say 2010 and newer) Harley. I am hoping it gets better after I have them check out the teeth for neutral during the 1000mi service, as I suspect there's a metal flake or something causing interference as it's gotten worse over time even though the shift linkage has been tightened up a bit.

The wide tires on the Fat Bob make dirt roads easy but grooved pavement in construction zones hell.

You can kind of tell in the photo too but the only other complaint I have is that it's pretty easy to max out the lean angle on the bike (L/R is 32/31 degrees). The pegs hit, usually rear before front, which is why it's off kilter there. Despite this my wheels still have pretty good "chicken strips" after 650 or so miles. At least the stock pegs have sacrificial bolts.

Nothing major at all. I have owned a lot of bikes (Harleys, Triumphs, Aprilias, Hondas, etc) and the only bike I had comparable to this guy in fit/finish quality was a Bonneville Black I got during the short spell where Triumph first started trying harder, which incidentally was the only other bike but the Fat Bob I have owned that did not need a service repair trip in the first 500 miles.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Only things I didn't like about the new Fatbob were the forward controls and how low to the ground it was. Clutch/transmission was like butter though.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

I tried to ride a Street Bob but the mid controls are basically impossibly uncomfortable for anyone over 5'10" or so. The actual seating position on the Fat Bob is like a Sportster with mids a couple inches forward, but on top of the tank practically.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

windex posted:

I tried to ride a Street Bob but the mid controls are basically impossibly uncomfortable for anyone over 5'10" or so. The actual seating position on the Fat Bob is like a Sportster with mids a couple inches forward, but on top of the tank practically.

I test rode a Street Bob when I bought my Wide Glide. I'm 6'2". The riding position on the Bob was straight up bizarre for me. Arms way out front like it had 22" apes on it, but my knees were like 75 degrees with my heels pointing almost directly at my rear end. I signaled the dealer with me to turn back after like a quarter mile. No idea who thought that position made any sense.

That Fat Bob looks purty, tho.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Currently running off of 3 hours of sleep. Had to call out of work to make an emergency trip to the Bay Area to see my girlfriend who has been hospitalized. It's about a 3 hour trip. About half an hour away, I start hearing a thumping sound, like something was catching in the wind, and it got louder and louder. I realized it was my exhaust. Managed to make it to HD of Oakland to discover my Bassani exhaust mount cracked, and took out an exhaust stud with it. Girlfriend's mom didn't live to far, so she picked me up, but now I'm going to be out the cost of the tow, plus the cost to repair the stud, and I'll have to rent a car to get home, then come back up here whenever the repairs are done, and all this on top of the stress of my girlfriend's illness.

This has been a very, very stressful day, and I am seriously considering just saying gently caress the repair and ordering a new pipe, even though this one is less than a year old. I had read that new Bassani pipes dont have this issue anymore, but I guess that was a crock of poo poo.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I got t boned on my 2002 sportster last year and haven't ridden much lately.

I bought it in 2013 with 10k like this

Did some mods and rode it and it's up to 26k.

I love the bike but it was a bit cramped for long rides before the accident. Since the accident my tailbone and lower back are not happy even on short rides so I was looking for something bigger.

Absentmindedly browsing fb marketplace I saw a 2010 fatboy lo that was setup very similar to what I have now for a surprisingly cheap price.

14k miles
Original owner
QD Leather bags and top case
QD Sissy bar
Upgraded pipes
Upgraded pass seat
Qd windshield
Crash bar
Front light bar
Engine accent lights
New tires

He had the $18k bike invoice and receipts for $6k in accessories

Super clean

Guy has been dropping price from $12k down to 8 most likely due to the end of the riding season approaching. I got him down to $7400.

Now I need to sell my sportster and the piles of extra parts I have acquired for it to recoup some of the cost. Any WI/IL goons looking for any parts before I lump them in with the bike?

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 30, 2018

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?
I didn't see a general cruiser thread so I'm just going to leave this here.

My first bike was a relatively cheap Honda Aero Shadow 1100, because I wanted something fun but also that wouldn't make me feel too bad if something happened to it while I was learning to ride. The bike I truly wanted was an Indian Chief but those were just too far out of my price range to justify. So I had the Honda for a number of years, always looking at those Indians though. Today I finally traded in the old Honda and got the Indian Chief that I really wanted. Holy poo poo what a difference between the two. Couldn't be happier.

The old Honda

My new Indian

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

BrianM87 posted:

My first bike was a relatively cheap Honda Aero Shadow 1100, because I wanted something fun but also that wouldn't make me feel too bad if something happened to it while I was learning to ride. The bike I truly wanted was an Indian Chief but those were just too far out of my price range to justify. So I had the Honda for a number of years, always looking at those Indians though. Today I finally traded in the old Honda and got the Indian Chief that I really wanted. Holy poo poo what a difference between the two. Couldn't be happier.

The old Honda

My new Indian

Get that Indian poo poo out of our Harley thread!

(J/K that bike is gorgeous)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BrianM87 posted:

The old Honda

My new Indian

That's a gorgeous Indian.

Actually on the topic of more general cruiser stuff, I'm thinking of getting a batwing fairing for my bike, would you guys say it's worth it? I'm not interested in putting a stereo or gps or anything in it, just the wind protection.

• Locked thread