Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Strife posted:

What the gently caress? There's absolutely zero reason why they wouldn't just sell the bike with those spacers that would let you put the backrest on. I get not making changes that would alter the aesthetic of the bike, better to let the customer do that. Sure. But this changes nothing visually, it just forces people to pay an extra $50 on top of the cost for the backrest. And the cushion.

It gets dumber. I have an '18 FXFBS and the shop refused to throw on the docking hardware you have that accepts saddlebags unless I switched the exhaust out preemptively since they don't make any bags that clear the factory exhaust on a FXFBS.

Apparently if the shop ignores the safety notices in installation instructions Harley obligates them to try to deny your warranty claims whenever tangentially relevant. (Example provided: FXFBS doesn't support that bag so obviously the extra weight caused your swingarm suspension to fail!)

So I am now looking for a trunk bag larger than my tool roll bag that anchors down with straps because the workaround for the lovely $80 passenger backrest that falls off continuously with the short sissy bar is to wedge it in there with a bag. Once the warranty dies I am going to do whatever the gently caress I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Strife posted:

Yeah I remapped it with the FP3. So it’s specific for that exhaust with any aftermarket intake. I have an Arlen Ness; figured that would be good enough.

Haven’t checked the plugs but I’ll give it a few more miles and take a look. Good call.

I have a bone stock Fat Bob 114 with stock pipes and that thing gets hot as hell. The rear cylinder fries my right leg/nut when I'm stopped if I don't leave it up on the peg. I haven't measured it, but exhaust temps of 275 seem reasonable to me, even with stock pipes.

EITMS activates every time I stop at the intersection on my way home after getting off the freeway and it kicks in at 287.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Post more you loving legend, those are incredible.

Just for you, I broke out the real camera:

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Coydog posted:

I'm pretty sure I was aware of this model, but not what it looked like. Holy cow that's beautiful and :perfect: . I'd daily the heck out of that. Nice tail rack and colors.

I flipped the mirrors and threw on a bag (118 from Leatherworks in Stockton, CA). That white is great, the flash + my Lightroom presets don't do it justice, needs sun.

I really like the bike for commuting, that's why it has gopros and tank magnet cell phone bag/charge cable on it. I found out tailgating virtually ceases when you have a GoPro mounted on the tail facing back even if it's off. :)

windex
Aug 2, 2006

It's been a consistent 44-47, it has one of those new fangled auto-off compatible motorcycle gas fuel intakes but you still have to mess with it to get it to take a full 3.2 gallons once it hits "Low" prior to reserve (.4 gallons before reserve hits), so my numbers could be skewed. Harley claims 47, though.

General thoughts in regards to your other comments:

The build quality is excellent however there were a couple spots on the rear upper frame (the part that holds the fender) where there were visible tool marks (they look like guide marks for a metal press brake that didn't get ground out on finish) that eventually led to paint flaking, frame touch up pen fixed it enough to ward off any potential rust, but it's visible.

The short sissy bar backrest pads are also trash unless you throw some rubber tape on them to hold them in place. Every time my seven year old got on the bike she'd knock the pad off.

Transmission is at least as hard to get into neutral as any other modern (say 2010 and newer) Harley. I am hoping it gets better after I have them check out the teeth for neutral during the 1000mi service, as I suspect there's a metal flake or something causing interference as it's gotten worse over time even though the shift linkage has been tightened up a bit.

The wide tires on the Fat Bob make dirt roads easy but grooved pavement in construction zones hell.

You can kind of tell in the photo too but the only other complaint I have is that it's pretty easy to max out the lean angle on the bike (L/R is 32/31 degrees). The pegs hit, usually rear before front, which is why it's off kilter there. Despite this my wheels still have pretty good "chicken strips" after 650 or so miles. At least the stock pegs have sacrificial bolts.

Nothing major at all. I have owned a lot of bikes (Harleys, Triumphs, Aprilias, Hondas, etc) and the only bike I had comparable to this guy in fit/finish quality was a Bonneville Black I got during the short spell where Triumph first started trying harder, which incidentally was the only other bike but the Fat Bob I have owned that did not need a service repair trip in the first 500 miles.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

I tried to ride a Street Bob but the mid controls are basically impossibly uncomfortable for anyone over 5'10" or so. The actual seating position on the Fat Bob is like a Sportster with mids a couple inches forward, but on top of the tank practically.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Strife posted:

I went from a Nightster with no fairing at all to a Sport Glide with a little fairing, and the reduction in fatigue I get from riding on the highway is incredible. I didn't really think it was doing much, but I've noticed it's so much less exhausting to ride now.

Just adding a windshield or fairing does so much to anything for enjoyment of long rides. I hate how windshields and fairings look, and I hate them in town, but if you're going to be on a freeway for 1hr+, commuting down a windy highway corridor like I do, or driving twisty country roads where you might not see a turkey about to fly into your head until you only have time to duck, you really need one. I gave in and bought both of the Softail Fat Bob windshields to interchange because that way I can use the shorter less offensive looking 15" one on my commute and swap to the 19" beast for trips into Montana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

I'd usually just rather ride a naked bike and have my helmet in clean air.

I'm usually this way, but the forward controls on the Fat Bob are just too much rider triangle for me to overcome at 70mph with the chest blast. I didn't notice until I had a shield on the bike, but I was doing more, say, pulling right to turn left than pushing left to turn left, which increases rider fatigue (in addition to the wind blast). Once I had the 19" shield on the bike it felt 300lbs lighter at speed, since it has plenty of torque to push the shield. Bike suddenly handles much better for me in corners. ;)

Not really a problem in town or even on most highways but a big problem on the freeways around here.

The good news is that since I have both shields (15" and 19") and I am tall (6'1 or so), I can insure clean air over the helmet by using the 15" shield. Only downside is that if I look up at all I get wind blasted to the neck. The buffering with the 19" is only bad if you have some crosswind.

Then again I'm going to hit 40 in a few years so maybe I'm just an old man now. :)

• Locked thread